This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Suck Awakens

This past Friday morning. 5 AM. I'm strolling into the Big Science Museum In This Part of the Country, which is showing Star Wars on their 80-foot-tall Imax screen. I bought this ticket when they first went on sale back in October, and I had to settle for the 7 AM showing because, in the matter of minutes it took me to get online and browse for tickets at this venue, the 7 PM, 10 PM, 1 AM, and 4 AM showings had all sold out. (And this theater was my second choice; Old-School Theater Downtown What's Owned By That Rich Computer Guy sold out everything for opening day in a matter of seconds.)

And what do I see, as I make my way to the line to get into the theater which is already 100+ people long, but a group of customers at the ticket window, arguing with the cashier about how dare they refuse to sell them tickets for the show, that surely there's more available, etc. etc. etc.. This while they're staring directly at a flyer taped to the window reading that ALL SHOWINGS for the day are sold out.

Truly, the Suck was strong in those ones. You'd have to have been living on the forest moon of Endor to not know that this was one of the most anticipated movie releases in decades, that it was setting records for advance sales weeks before it even premiered, and that the particular theater you were trying to gain admittance to is one of the most technically advanced screens in This City, and seats a relatively small number of people to boot. What in the name of Jar-Jar Binks possessed you to think that you could just stroll up to the booth on opening day and browbeat the clerk into selling you tickets for a show that sold out nearly two months ago? If the Rebellion had had you on its side, the series would have ended half an hour into the first movie.

Fortunately, those of us who had the foresight to buy advance tickets were all remarkably well-behaved and nobody shouted spoilers or anything of that nature.

Anyone else (especially any of you poor souls working in the theater business) have any interesting run-ins with the Dark Side this past weekend?

I'm surprised people who had bought advanced tickets didn't start heckling those who were giving the cashier a hard time. For various reasons, I won't be able to see it until early next week. I'm pretty terrified about spoilers from the internet, I hadn't even thought about spoilers being shouted in the theater. I did see there are showings early in the morning, so I hope it won't be so bad at that time.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I sense much suck in them.

(ok keep up the ref's)
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

out here in the boondocks, I was pleasantly surprised to buy a ticket hours before showtime so that my sister could go with me.

Comment

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Just kidding.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

As if millions of voices cried out demanding to be sold a ticket, then suddenly silenced.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

You will sell me a ticket for opening day... [hand wave]

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                You will sell me a ticket for opening day... [hand wave]
                These aren't the tickets you're looking for.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

It's a sell out!
                  AkaiKitsune
                  Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

My friends and I avoided such a fiasco by buying our tickets one day early. Some even bought their tickets in person, while others, like me, bought ours online.
                    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

A friend and I were doing a mini spoiler war based on the previous six movies on a post he made on FB last Friday, people were going NUTS over it because they didn't want spoilers. On movies that have been out for, at least, fifteen to thirty-five years.

I made a very snarky comment -- basically I said that a stormtrooper could shoot better then they could understand the simple fact that nearly everyone has known Vader has been Luke's father for three and a half decades.
                      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                        I made a very snarky comment -- basically I said that a stormtrooper could shoot better then they could understand the simple fact that nearly everyone has known Vader has been Luke's father for three and a half decades.

Heh...reminds me of an episode of Cheers where everyone in the bar spoils a TV movie that Frasier had taped to watch that evening, and he then goes into a rant dropping spoilers for well-known movies (i.e. "Rosebud was his sled!"), and concludes it with, "And Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father!". As he angrily storms out, Cliff quips, "Eh, tell us something we don't know, Doc!", and Woody mutters, half to himself, "Darth Vader is Luke's father...?!"

Comment

I find their lack of advance planning disturbing.

Unfortuantely for me, Hubby and I wont' be able to see the movie anytime soon. I want to, though, after hearing people I trust saying it's worth it (and so far not hearing anything to the contrary).

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                          A friend and I were doing a mini spoiler war based on the previous six movies on a post he made on FB last Friday, people were going NUTS over it because they didn't want spoilers. On movies that have been out for, at least, fifteen to thirty-five years.

That's like saying, "I have spoilers for the movie Titanic: the boat sinks." I've actually heard of people online during the recent re-release of that movie who were whining about spoilers and the like, or simply shocked--shocked, I tell you!--that the movie was based on a real event.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                            My friends and I avoided such a fiasco by buying our tickets one day early. Some even bought their tickets in person, while others, like me, bought ours online.
                            I was seeing In The Heart Of The Sea with my Dad the Saturday before The Force Awakens opened, and went up to the ticket counter afterwards and asked what the earliest showing for TFA was, and bought a ticket for the 12:15 PM Friday showing. Simple.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                              That's like saying, "I have spoilers for the movie Titanic: the boat sinks." I've actually heard of people online during the recent re-release of that movie who were whining about spoilers and the like, or simply shocked--shocked, I tell you!--that the movie was based on a real event.
                              I remember someone discussing American Hustle (he hadn't seen it), and talking about how it was about the early days of settling America.

Comment

Working...
                              X