Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The advantages of living in a small city. My local cinema has about 6 of 12 screens showing Star Wars, and it's certainly more than needed.

I caught a Saturday show at 6:30 PM and the theatre was maybe 2/3rds full.

No spoilers, but I personally felt that the movie was good verging on great. It's not quite the Greatest Thing Since Sliced bread, but I haven't been paying attention to the hype and advertising much; I'm not really that invested in the Star Wars setting overall.

So all in all, a very enjoyable movie, well worth seeing in theatres, the better theatre the better.

And that's all I'll say about it.

Comment

In my town, SW: TFA premiered on Thursday night. Sweetie and I bought tickets online a couple of days before. Anticipating a huge, unruly crowd, we were pleasantly surprised at how well-organized and civil it was. Yes, there were a lot of people, but aside from a little confusion about which line to be in (and the error was corrected swiftly and without fuss!), it was a remarkably pleasant experience.

However, I do not want to think about what that theater was like on Friday night.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
        That's like saying, "I have spoilers for the movie Titanic: the boat sinks." I've actually heard of people online during the recent re-release of that movie who were whining about spoilers and the like
        That's one "spoiler" that was "in the wild" BEFORE anyone involved in the movie (with the possible exception of the actress who played "old Rose") was born.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
          Heh...reminds me of an episode of Cheers where everyone in the bar spoils a TV movie that Frasier had taped to watch that evening, and he then goes into a rant dropping spoilers for well-known movies (i.e. "Rosebud was his sled!"), and concludes it with, "And Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father!". As he angrily storms out, Cliff quips, "Eh, tell us something we don't know, Doc!", and Woody mutters, half to himself, "Darth Vader is Luke's father...?!"
          That was a running joke in the Peanuts comics for years - Rosebud was his sled.

And believe it or not, I just had a client come in last week who had never seen the Star Wars movies. I did not ask if he knew about Vader and Luke, though.

Comment

Funny thing, I got out of work on time on Thursday, and stopped by to check availability. I actually ended up walking into the first showing in my town twenty minutes before the curtains went up. Maybe the Force was with me
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Funny thing, I got out of work on time on Thursday, and stopped by to check availability. I actually ended up walking into the first showing in my town twenty minutes before the curtains went up. Maybe the Force was with me
              I'm sure most of your run-of-the-mill multiplexes had enough screens running the movie that there was no want for seats. I saw it at a one-screen theater attached to the local Big Science Museum, which only seats about 200 people and is one of the largest and most technically sophisticated screens in this part of the country. The tickets for opening night/morning sold fast; as I said, I only managed to snag one because I happened to get online at the right time. You'd have about as much luck walking up to the box office of Grauman's Chinese Theatre on opening night and demanding tickets.

Comment

That's like saying, "I have spoilers for the movie Titanic: the boat sinks." I've actually heard of people online during the recent re-release of that movie who were whining about spoilers and the like, or simply shocked--shocked, I tell you!--that the movie was based on a real event.
                Next they'll be telling us Pearl Harbor was actually based on real events.....
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I've actually heard of people online during the recent re-release of that movie who were whining about spoilers and the like, or simply shocked--shocked, I tell you!--that the movie was based on a real event.
                  I can testify. A (much younger) girl I dated briefly in 2007 was blissfully ignorant of that fact. If that had been the only gap in her knowledge, it could have been forgiven. But she thought APOLLO 13 was fiction, too. In her defense, she was aware that Pearl Harbor was a real historical event, but she thought it happened in the 1970s.

I also had to explain to her that M*A*S*H was set in a real war in Korea.

I won't say her historical ignorance was the only reason the relationship didn't last, or even that it was a major factor. But it definitely contributed.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                    I'm sure most of your run-of-the-mill multiplexes had enough screens running the movie that there was no want for seats.
                    The theater where I will eventually see it was definitely sold out for opening day, and several days after. It has IMAX, but also regular screens, and all the times were grayed out. Probably also has to do with how many other theaters are in the area, and the interest of the population of the area. I guess we're all fans here, even people I know who don't care for sci-fi either have seen it, or are planning to.

I remember people getting pissed off for years and years over a certain movie. Hint, he was dead the whole time! Also, I found that although I do not claim to know much about films in general, I can easily blow peoples minds by telling them simple things. The Lion King is basically Hamlet. Clueless is essentially Emma. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou was inspired by The Odyssey. Yet, I am hard pressed to remember nearly any actor's name. Except the most British name ever. (Benedict Cumberbatch)
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I saw it this morning. I deliberately picked the showing I picked because the tickets are $7 each instead of $10.25 for the matinee or $13 for the evening showings. The side bonus was that the theater was only about 75% full. We got there about 20 minutes ahead of time and got decent seats. Most of the great ones were taken, but I got my desired row, only two seats to the left of where I really wanted to sit. When our showing got out, the lobby was a madhouse of people waiting in lines for the next showings of all the screens where it was playing. The line for the screen we were coming out of had probably 80% of the capacity of that screen already waiting in line, and it was still 40 minutes to the next show. I'm so glad I picked an early showing!
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        Also, I found that although I do not claim to know much about films in general, I can easily blow peoples minds by telling them simple things. The Lion King is basically Hamlet.
                        That wasn't totally obvious to anyone who watched the movie and had ever heard of Hamlet?
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I haven't seen the movie and have no plans to see the movie (I never saw the 3 prequel movies either). So, if someone really needs to share a spoiler, feel free to go for it with me, since that is the only way I'll know what happened.

That said, I have some friends who have seen the movie at least 3 times already (though it may be 4 by now). They went on a Disney Cruise this week and said that they've been playing the movie multiple times daily. The fact that the movie was opening this week and would be playing on the ship wasn't the only factor in them choosing this week for going on this trip, but it definitely was a major factor. As they figured it, they were going to go on a cruise this winter and spend all that money, this way they get to do that and not worry about buying tickets to see the movie.

Comment

I'll just leave this HUGE Star Wars spoiler right here, then...

May the DOWNforce be with you!

(sorry if I have posted this elsewhere on this forum, I sometimes lose track of where I post things.)
                            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

The theater where I will eventually see it was definitely sold out for opening day, and several days after. It has IMAX, but also regular screens, and all the times were grayed out. Probably also has to do with how many other theaters are in the area, and the interest of the population of the area. I guess we're all fans here, even people I know who don't care for sci-fi either have seen it, or are planning to.

I remember people getting pissed off for years and years over a certain movie. Hint, he was dead the whole time! Also, I found that although I do not claim to know much about films in general, I can easily blow peoples minds by telling them simple things. The Lion King is basically Hamlet. Clueless is essentially Emma. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou was inspired by The Odyssey. Yet, I am hard pressed to remember nearly any actor's name. Except the most British name ever. (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Don't forget the Mackenzie Brothers in Strange Brew - AKA Hamlet.

Comment

And 10 Things I Hate About You is based on Taming of the Shrew...
                                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X