This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Cab Company (but not driver)

So today I decided to get a cab to work (-7 degrees out...yeah not waiting for the train in that). I was awake at 5am and called the cab company to request a 6:30 pickup (it's about a 10-15 minute drive to work, and I have to be there at 7am, so that should have provided plenty of time).

6:30 arrives. No cab. 6:35 no cab. 6:40 no cab. So I call and ask what's going on. All I got was "he'll be there soon." Turns out their policy is that they don't release calls to drivers until 20 minutes before the scheduled pickup time, regardless of when you call in. If there isn't a taxi within 20 minutes of you? Too bad, so sad, guess you are going to be late.

Note I was NOT sucky to the driver about this. It isn't his fault how they route, and to his credit, he got me to work on time (I punched in at 7:01am) without driving unsafely (it being Sunday morning after a holiday helped with traffic, or rather lack thereof). Talking to him was how I found out about the "20 minute lead time" policy (since nobody on the phone would tell me), and I tipped him well.

He gave me his card so I can call him direct the day before to schedule if I need a ride again. Since he drives the wheelchair accessible cab and Hubby uses a chair, I am definitely holding on to his number.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

I'm glad you got to work on time, and it certainly wasn't the drivers fault.

I would talk with the cab company, that sort of policy should be mentioned so people trying to make a tight deadline (the airport, etc.) won't get shafted. Thus set up at least half an hour before you really need to leave to make sure you're not late...

Comment

That. Is. RIDICULOUS. What's the point of calling in ahead of time then? And 20 minutes, are you kidding me? In taxi time that's an hour and a half.

At least you got a decent driver's number out of it.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Any transportation service (cab, bus, train, whatever) should pride themselves on getting the commuter where they need to go, and more importantly, when they need to be there. Yes, there are more chances for unexpected delays with a cab, but that's why one calls ahead and requests to be picked up earlier. That is a ridiculous policy.

Comment

What company did you book with? The one whose digits add up to 21 (not including the area code) or the one whose digits add up to 49?
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

First let me preface my response by saying that the cab company did screw up. In no way, shape, or form am I discounting that. I am speaking from around 5 years experience as a dispatcher and supervisor for a taxi service.

The 20 minute thing is actually referred to as "lead time". The reason they do that is so that drivers are not sitting around waiting on orders. One, that would be a loss of income for the drivers (less orders they would run in a shift, extra gas burned idling), and would also mean linger wait times as fewer customers would be serviced. One thing a lot of people don't realize is that often the drivers are considered private contractors, with no set wage. Basically they get what they run, less a meter and licensing fee.

That system has its benefits and downfalls. The real problem is the company's lack of communication. Whenever a new customer would call for a timed pickup, I would ask what time they had to be there. I would then recommend a pick up based on that. If I, say, have 40 other pickups at that time, someone is going to be late.

Realistically, they should have known better than to not explain the policy and reasoning. Idiocy on their part... You obviously did nothing wrong. I can't tell you how many complaints I took because things were not explained properly. So many things can delay service. There is also very often far too many orders to all everyone and explain the delay.
            "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              What company did you book with? The one whose digits add up to 21 (not including the area code) or the one whose digits add up to 49?
              The one whose phone number has a lot of 3s in it.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                The one whose phone number has a lot of 3s in it.
                I've stopped recommending them at my hotel. One time a guest asked me to call a cab for him, which I did. A little later he called a different cab on his own unbeknownst to me. These guys showed up before the one I called did. And when I helped get a hold of the guest for them, and having relayed the news that they already left, I was told to stop wasting their time.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Brilliant move by the cab company, alienating staff at an apparently good-sized hotel, who are either calling cabs for guests or recommending cab companies.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I also work at a hotel. They can route however they want, and I can tell every guest who walks in the door not to use them.

Comment

Working...
                    X