Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tales of a Public Transit Free Day (Long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales of a Public Transit Free Day (Long)

So yesterday I got a kick-back from the local airport driver (woot!) for referring business to him and decided to head out to the local thrift store to see if I could replace my wheelie and get some more warm PJs (I actually use them as an outer layer for commuting, worn over my work pants so that when I get to work I don't have to go change in the bathroom). This involved two buses and a train (though not actually a long ride) and as it was a free day on local public transit, sightings occured. I decided to keep track to make the trip more bearable. Here's what I saw.

Ms. 70% Off.

This was a woman who informed everyone at the bus stop, and then everyone on the bus, that <local grocery store> and <local drug store> are sellling Christmas items for 70% off. She informed everyone of this multiple times. Ok, once was fine in the event I did want to invest in cheap crap with angels and snowmen on it, but we didn't need to be told 4+ times.

Special Snowflakes Part 1: Make My Own Route Edition.

On the way to the train station on the bus, while said bus was stopped at a light, several passengers approached the back door, announced "we'll just get off here" and then starting calling to the bus driver to open the door as if he was somehow failing to do his job. Um, no. He's not allowed to let anyone off at any location other than a designated stop. The next stop is half a block down the road, sit your lazy butts down and follow the rules like the rest of us.

Asscrack.

Ok not sucky, just a poor choice of fashion. Lady standing at the front of the bus wearing leggings so tight they were splitting her but cheeks in half, or were at least riding up to that point. She didn't seem to notice, but maybe she just didn't want to pick out a wedgie in public. Here's a suggestion for anyone of the female persuasion who finds herself in such a predicament: grab a seat and shift your cheeks until you no longer have a fabric trying to crawl up your rear exit porthole. Women have been de-wedgi-ing like that since underwear became a thing. I know from experience it works.

American Idol Wannabe (with Extra Stupid).

So I get to the train station. Standing on the platform is a man wearing headphones and singing along to them. Not an odd sight at the train station, but he's also standing on the yellow line. This, for those who aren't familiar with public transit via trains, means he's in danger of being hit by said trains. I hope he wised up, at least he wasn't singing some c(rap) song with lots of profanity. I'd hate to loose someone with at least SOME taste in music.

Special Snowflake Part 2: The World is My Tour Guide Edition

So I get to the transfer point where I get off the train and onto a bus that will take me to my thrift store. A woman approaches me and two others waiting at one of the bus departure gates and asks "is this route X that goes downtown?" We start to say "no, this is Route X that goes to <other location>". Before any of us can finish the sentence, she snaps "then where's the Route X that goes downtown?!" There's a bus map right over there, lady, and planning your route is kind of YOUR job. We aren't even transit employees who are required to be nice to you. You might want to be more polite and less entitled when talking to strangers who have no incentive to be helpful. I could, if I wanted to, have insulted you in language worthy of the great Gravekeeper or intentionally sent you the wrong way. For all you know, I could been some nutcase who decided you were a threat and decided to douse you in pepperspray.

Last but Not Least: The Pack of Hyenas

So I get my new wheelie, two sets of PJs and a fleece vest for wearing under my winter coat, all for under $15 (I LOVE ARC!). I take the bus back to the train station, and upon boarding my train, hear what sounds like a pack of hyenas on helium giggling from a few seats down. A bunch of tween girls doing what tween girls do. Nothing major, they aren't otherwise causing any problems, so I just put on my headphones, but I thought it merited a mention here.

Oncore: Awww, No Weirdos Today?

The last bus I take home when I decide I'm not in the mood to climb a hill is what I have dubbed The Weirdo Run. It goes down That Street, and anyone who has lived in Denver knows what street I'm talking about (hint: the name starts with a C). For some reason, That Street looks like a trailer park neighborhood for its entire length, even though there may be (and in many areas actually are) million-dollar gated communities less than a block away. It only takes 10 minutes to get to my complex from the train station, so it's worth putting up with to get home and out of the cold faster.

Today, probably because the universe knew I was keeping track and writing stories for CS, there wasn't a single odd person on The Weirdo Run. Not even the normal odd people, such as those who smell like MJ, aren't aware that headphones are a thing, or just have strange fashion sense. Hmph. Oh well, I'm sure I'll see some characters tomorrow.
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 01-02-2016, 02:31 PM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Is That Street with the letter C the same one I'm thinking of? The one that's famous for its nighttime street vendors?
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I'm not sure Mr. Hero. It's the one that rhymes with Molefax. I'm not there at night if I can avoid it (I work days so it's still sunny when I'm heading home, and my stop isn't actually on said street) so I don't know if there are street vendors there. Unless you're talking about Civic Center Park at Molefax and the opposite of NarrowPath, there do tend to be food trucks around that location.
      Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 01-02-2016, 06:40 PM.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

It's the street I'm thinking of. And when I mean vendors, I don't mean it literally. Because really, they rent their product. Wink wink nudge nudge.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Oh THOSE type of street vendors. The ones practicing the Oldest Profession. I see. Just an FYI, they're often human trafficking victims and not independent contractors. Ok this just got depressing, sorry.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
            It's the street I'm thinking of. And when I mean vendors, I don't mean it literally. Because really, they rent their product. Wink wink nudge nudge.
            Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
            Oh THOSE type of street vendors. The ones practicing the Oldest Profession. I see. Just an FYI, they're often human trafficking victims and not independent contractors. Ok this just got depressing, sorry.
            They call themselves "seamstresses." Hem hem.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              They call themselves "seamstresses." Hem hem.
              They can thread the needle, but they can't sew.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                They can thread the needle, but they can't sew.
                Ankh-Morpork Guild of Seamstresses
                "Where the customer comes first"

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                  "You've got it, you sell it, you've still got it."

(Diana on Waiting for God)
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Oh I see...it's like they're offering timeshare properties and you pay to spend a period of time in your room of choice :P
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Oy this went off the rails fast. I didn't even see any such street vendors. I don't doubt they're around, but with the age of the internet, they probably don't have to walk the streets anymore to find "clients." Certain areas of Craigslist work for that, or so I hear.

Comment

Working...
                      X