This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Agent Paper" just came in.....

Just yesterday, we had taken a whole bunch of books and marked them down for clearance. Most are going for the piddly sum of $1.

So i'm in front trying to figure out how many I Am America (And So Can You!) books have had their stickers removed and slapped all over the place when I hear the shrill of a customer.

OH MY GOD, BOOKS FOR $1!!

The woman had just entered the store and yelled right behind me. Which made me drop three of Stephen Colbert's books onto my foot.

She runs to the clearance table, and begins to take books from the pile. But she remarks at every book she picks up as she piles it into her arms.

I want this book....and this one....oooo, this is a classic....oh wow, cheap!!....

Now her voice is slowly drifting thru the store, and as i'm lightly stomping my foot to dull the pain, I see customers looking around and eyeing this woman. Some make remarks. Even the little brats in manga take the time to stand up and look at the lady.

Manga guy is at the register, and walks to me. "Did you let in Yomiko Readman?" he asks jokingly. By this time, she had dumped 25 books onto the counter and ran back to the table to grab more. For 10 minutes, all you could hear was her commenting on each book, grabbing more books. Finally, she stopped at 75 books. She doesn't stop talking, as she comments on each book being scanned in.

She leaves, as several customers ask what was going on. We just shrug our shoulders and wonder who was that girl....

I Am America (And So Can You!) - I need this book!! I ordered the book and the audiobook through work (I work for the distribution center, we get 40% off books) last Wednesday, hoping I would get them by Friday so I'd have them for my vacation this week. They didn't come. I emailed one of the guys at work today and asked if they had come up yet, and he said something was screwed up and the order came back and my boss has my money.

Maybe I should just go buy it in the store. It's only 30% off but I WANT MY BOOKS!!! *kicks, screams*

Sorry, I'm done now.

BOOKS FOR A DOLLAR??!! Where? Anything good? I'll be right there! *runs*
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Did she have her trademark suitcase on wheels too? And you did check to make sure that Michelle and her cohorts weren't hiding out in the back, right?
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I so need that book. My account is running low and the only way to get it over in Europe is amazon (I loathe thee).

But this book is gonna be so awesome, now that he is running for president.

Others point to my new bestseller, “I Am America (And So Can You!)” noting that many candidates test the waters with a book first. Just look at Barack Obama, John Edwards or O. J. Simpson.

Look at the moral guidance I offer. On faith: “After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up.” On gender: “The sooner we accept the basic differences between men and women, the sooner we can stop arguing about it and start having sex.” On race: “While skin and race are often synonymous, skin cleansing is good, race cleansing is bad.” On the elderly: “They look like lizards.”
        http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
        Melody Gardot

Comment

Quoth Panigg View Post
          I so need that book. My account is running low and the only way to get it over in Europe is amazon (I loathe thee).

But this book is gonna be so awesome, now that he is running for president.
          but only in South Carolina..

hehe, they had a thing on his presidential bid on World News Tonight ...uh, tonight. They referred to him as "the comedian who plays a talk show host."

We had it in the office a few weeks ago. I got to flip through it (check out the index, it's great!) but I couldn't hang onto it long enough to read the whole thing. I'd rather be able to sit and enjoy it, anyway. And the audio is "shouted by the author" so I need that too. I wonder if iTunes has it...

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            but only in South Carolina..

hehe, they had a thing on his presidential bid on World News Tonight ...uh, tonight. They referred to him as "the comedian who plays a talk show host."

We had it in the office a few weeks ago. I got to flip through it (check out the index, it's great!) but I couldn't hang onto it long enough to read the whole thing. I'd rather be able to sit and enjoy it, anyway. And the audio is "shouted by the author" so I need that too. I wonder if iTunes has it...
            If Obama wasn't pledging to kick big agribusiness away from the farm subsidies....

And yes, iTunes has it for $16.
            Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post

And yes, iTunes has it for $16.
              hmm...my warehouse price is 14.98, if I can try it again. My store price is 18 something...Guess I'll wait til Monday and see what happened. Besides, I kinda want the physical book. I can always take the discs and put them on my iPod.

Comment

Holy crap that's $825 in books not counting sales tax which would be $874.50 in Kentucky... that's a lot of money to spend in one day and one bookstore LOL

(EDIT) Sorry I misread that.. I thought it said $11 not $1... i just kept my original post to show my dumbassness.
                Last edited by Boxofficehellhole; 10-18-2007, 05:52 AM.

Comment

hmmmmm 75$ dollars worth of books... been there done that...

Comment

$75 in books? That's about an average week's trip.

Yeah, Nekojin & I were spending between $60 and $120 on books nearly every week for about three months a while back.

Unfortunately, we had to cut waaaaay down.

Now we do a trip every couple months and spend about $80.

... which reminds me, I still have a couple of unread books...

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                      Yes, but on 75 books?

I've been known to kill a paycheck (or two) with a trip to Barns & Nobles, but that's only because role playing games are expensive. As are comics. And various other books from the more "normal" sections of the store.... Dammit, I only go book hunting every other month at best. I need to stockpile!
                      Flood

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                        Heck, I spent $75 on ONE book last year. It was a big hard cover Marvel Comics Omnibus/Encyclopaedia on every character they ever did (or the company who did Xmen et al).

It was for my son's 15th birthday. He absolutely loved it!
                        Total surrender
                        Your touch is so tender
                        Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                        And it brings me relief
                        "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

i spent 75 dollars on 150 books once ( iwas young an got 50 goosebumps, 75 babysitter books and a assorited young adult titles cheap at books store/theift store swap meat thing where multiply stores where trying to get ride of books)

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                            Did she have her trademark suitcase on wheels too? And you did check to make sure that Michelle and her cohorts weren't hiding out in the back, right?
                            There was a girl that looked like Nenene Sumiregawa in Travel.

Comment

Double extra fudge brownie points for successfully applying a Read or Die reference to a real life situation.

The most expensive book I've purchased recently is the Tibetan Book of the Dead for about $70ish if I remember right. It sits on my coffee now, mocking me. It is a large, scary tomb and not really the easiest read thus far ( What Buddhist text is though. ). But still its hard to resist having a book of the dead in the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X