This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC claims the life of an innocent paper shredder

Had a husband and wife come in today to return a paper shredder that they claimed "was a total piece of crap that burned out on them because it can't even do what the box says" or something like that. The shredder in question was an 8-sheet, medium duty shredder, good for shredding documents, but not junk mail. Also not good for heavy use.

The wife threw down a thick, mangled hunk of paper that made it part way through before jamming. I didn't count all the layers of paper, but in the section that I did count, there were AT LEAST 12 layers of paper, plus a layer of plastic (saadwich bag consistency), and a layer of heavy cardstock. Altogether it was probably the equivalent of 20 sheets at least. This after she DARED me to count more than 8 sheets there.

Through their raniting and raving, I gathered that they were using the shredder to shred unopened mail, which it is NOT designed to do. That's why we sell the MailMate shredder. My guess is that they probably bought this 8 sheet shredder during one of the many times it has gone on sale (you can often get it for $20 after rebate) rather than pay $59.99 for the actual junk mail shredder.

In short, they cheaped out, abused the product to death, then came back yelling and screaming that we sell crap products and what are we going to do to rectify the situation?

Well, I tried to get them to buy the MailMate, but that's simulatenously "too expensive" and "too small." They wanted something with a large bin that could shred pretty much anything they could throw at it. About the only shredder we have that could do that is this, but that's was way TOO bog and far too expensive for them.

At one point, they wanted me to "prove" that the MailMate was good but putting in their "sample" and shredding that. Well, their "sample" (the mangled hunk of paper, plasitc, and card that they'd wrecked the first shredder with) was so torn up and mangled that there was no way it'd actually go in the slot. It would be like trying to stuff a pillow under a door. Not going to happen.

Then they tried to get me to demonstrate the shdredder using a stack of pamphlets they grabbed from nearby. Except that 1) those pamphlets were actually merchandise, not promotional material and 2) they had refrigerator magents in them. So I couldn't do that either.

This I was "unwilling to stand behind my product." After louding stating that they were going to OfficeDepot, they walked away, but not before teling another custoemr nearby (also looking at shredders) not to buy one from us "because they're crap."

I had a rant with the sales manager about them and their re-interpretation of "8-sheet."

"Oh yeah, just take 8 sheets, fold them until they won't fold any more, then shred it! How about you slap 8 layer of meat in there and make a salad! Yeah, it won't shred cardboard. WHAT DID YOU EXPECT!? How about 8 cardboard mailers? Jeeze!"

I hate people like this.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Maybe you could demonstrate something like this to them:

Comment

Heh heh heh.....muahahaha.....

"Here' I think I have something that may meet your needs!"

RIN NIN NIN NIN, RIN NIN NIN NIN....

"Now take a nice close-up look, so you know it's working!"

*shove

"Clean up on aisle 5! Be sure to wear your rubber gloves and bring plenty of bleach!"
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

see this is where you say sure , grab their recipts and other stuff fold it a few times and toss it in to the shreader ^_^

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          "Clean up on aisle 5! Be sure to wear your rubber gloves and bring plenty of bleach!"
          And squeegees. Never forget the squeegees.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I can assume Staples still has the no questions asked return policy? Because that counts as misuse and you have a right to refuse to return it.

The retail store I answer phones for has a habit of doing that (a bit too much as well IMO) and it gets customers pissed off, but at least they learn!

Comment

Sounds like they wanted an industrial strength shredder that can shred 6 phone books at once...lol.

Comment

I open the junk mail, cut it up, and save it. Once a week I sit down, and 3-4 peices at a time get shredded. It's stress relieving. Is there a way to report this couple for Shredder abuse? Bad flashbacks to TNMT dreams from growing up*
                Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                  I can assume Staples still has the no questions asked return policy? Because that counts as misuse and you have a right to refuse to return it.

The retail store I answer phones for has a habit of doing that (a bit too much as well IMO) and it gets customers pissed off, but at least they learn!
                  Well, it was a staples brand shredder, so it carries the "100% satisfaction guarantee" nonsense. But even if it didn't, our home office has quite effectively tied our hands when it comes to refusing returns. When I started there, there were numerous occassions where a manager refused a return, the customer who was 100% in the wrong called corporate to complain, and corporate ordered the manager to accept the return. See The ASM and the Ink Guy for an example of this.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Nayeli_Sabia View Post
                    Is there a way to report this couple for Shredder abuse? Bad flashbacks to TNMT dreams from growing up*
                    Now you done it. Here's some Shredder abuse for you.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=163
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Hehe.. I love VGCats
                      Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                        Well, it was a staples brand shredder, so it carries the "100% satisfaction guarantee" nonsense. But even if it didn't, our home office has quite effectively tied our hands when it comes to refusing returns. When I started there, there were numerous occassions where a manager refused a return, the customer who was 100% in the wrong called corporate to complain, and corporate ordered the manager to accept the return. See The ASM and the Ink Guy for an example of this.
                        Rant about "Chuck," with a CS slant.

http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn...ate=2007-09-26

Comment

Working...
                        X