Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Saga of Scooter Lady (a wee bit long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saga of Scooter Lady (a wee bit long)

I've work for the past 6 years at a small, local custard stand. There's a walk-up window in front with a large patio and three picnic tables. There's also a drive-thru on the side of the building.

A few summers ago, I was working a day shift when the light in drive-thru goes on, signaling that a car is driving through. So I cross the store and open the window, not to see a car, but to see a motorized scooter being driven through by a very large woman.

Me: A cute college girl with a wonderful smile.
    CSL: Crazy Scooter Lady

Me: *slightly confused* Hi, how can I help you?
    CSL: You're not handicap accessible are you?
    Me: Umm, yeah we are, there's a ramp by the handicap parking spaces.
    CSL: *twisting and yelling over her shoulder* GIRLS! GO AROUND! THEY GOT A RAMP! *CSL proceeds to swivel her chair 180 degrees and drive backwards out of the drive-thru.*
    Me: Oh geez...Please don't let a car be coming through...

I go back up front to see not only CSL but two of her friends (similar in size), also in motorized wheelchairs. Everyone orders, all getting a hot dog and some custard. Then wheel themselves to a picnic table to eat. I continue serving customers and such. Several minutes later, I hear a knock on the pick-up window. I open it to reveal one of the scooter ladies...Out of her scooter! I get her whatever she needs and lean out the window to see one lady completely out of her scooter and the two others lounging with their legs propped up on the picnic table. Obviously, these women are not technically handicapped...Just fat and lazy.

Anyways, for the rest of that season, CSL has made it a nearly daily occurrence to show up, taste every thing in our store, and basically annoy the crap out of me. She regularly showed up in the most disgusting, multi-stained t-shirts and, to top it off, obviously bra-less. ::shudder::

Whenever ordering, she would insist on staying at the order window and not move the two feet over to the pick-up window. COME ON! All you have to do it push the little lever! Is it really that much of a strain on your poor, chubby, sausage-like finger??

And just as a side-note, our stand is at the end of a bridge which CSL had to cross everyday to get to us. We could, literally, see her coming from a mile away. A good friend and coworker of mine, would start singing "Flight of the Valkyries" every time he saw her crossing the bridge.

Quoth Custard Chick View Post
    ]
    And just as a side-note, our stand is at the end of a bridge which CSL had to cross everyday to get to us. We could, literally, see her coming from a mile away. A good friend and coworker of mine, would start singing "Flight of the Valkyries" every time he saw her crossing the bridge.

Oh, crap, now I'll be singing that for the rest of the afternoon (until 7 when I can replace it with the Jeopardy theme...)
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post

Oh, crap, now I'll be singing that for the rest of the afternoon (until 7 when I can replace it with the Jeopardy theme...)
      Dun-dah-da-dun-duun!
      Dun-dah-da-dun-duun!
      Dun-dah-da-dun-duun!
      Dun-dun-dun-duuun!

Although, the best use of "Flight of the Valkyries" was the game Full Throttle when you use wind up bunnies to find your way through a minefield.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Thanks, Geek King. I knew I shouldn't have come back to this thread!
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          Although, the best use of "Flight of the Valkyries" was the game Full Throttle when you use wind up bunnies to find your way through a minefield.
          I loved that game. It's a shame it was so short, tho.

And damn you, Lucas Arts, for canceling the sequel! *shakes fist at sky*

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            \Oh, crap, now I'll be singing that for the rest of the afternoon (until 7 when I can replace it with the Jeopardy theme...)
            Quoth Geek King View Post
            Dun-dah-da-dun-duun!
            Dun-dah-da-dun-duun!
            Dun-dah-da-dun-duun!
            Dun-dun-dun-duuun!
            Kill da wabbit!
            Kill da wabbit!
            Kill da wabbit!
            Dun-dun-dun-duuuun!

C'mon, do it right!

Comment

cant you refuse to serve her if she doesnt go to pick up?
              OH and http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=897 ^_^

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                cant you refuse to serve her if she doesnt go to pick up?
                OH and http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=897 ^_^
                When we're slow and there's no one behind the customer at the order window we just hand it out the order window. But even when she knows that someone's behind her she'll just sit there until we basically hang out the next window, shouting her order out until she pushes her little joystick to move the two feet forward.

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with her anymore.

Comment

Quoth Custard Chick View Post
                  Several minutes later, I hear a knock on the pick-up window. I open it to reveal one of the scooter ladies...Out of her scooter! I get her whatever she needs and lean out the window to see one lady completely out of her scooter and the two others lounging with their legs propped up on the picnic table. Obviously, these women are not technically handicapped...Just fat and lazy.
                  That's an invalid assumption. It may be true of these particular women, but it's not a valid assumption for people who use mobility aids in general. There are many illnesses and conditions which make walking difficult or painful, but where the patient is still able to walk short distances. I can move around in my own home, but can't walk two suburban blocks.

Of course - you may well be right about these particular people.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    That's an invalid assumption. It may be true of these particular women, but it's not a valid assumption for people who use mobility aids in general. There are many illnesses and conditions which make walking difficult or painful, but where the patient is still able to walk short distances. I can move around in my own home, but can't walk two suburban blocks.

Of course - you may well be right about these particular people.
                    Oh I completely understand that there are people who legitimately need motorized scooters. I just have a feeling these particular women were perfectly capable of walking, just too lazy to put the effort in.

Comment

Working...
                    X