This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few...

It was a hot day, and humid too. I was in my mother's car, and it didn't have a/c. I was boiling. She was driving, but I guess she was used to it.
    Anyway, we were at the red light waiting, and the car next to us had its windows rolled down, with a mom and her friend in the front, and a little baby in the back in a car seat. The baby was screaming its head off, and the mom paid no attention and continued gabbing with her friend.

After a while I was getting tired of hearing the baby screaming one LONG continous scream, so I turned to give the mom an evil look, when she suddenly turned around and screamed, "SHUT THE F*** UPPPP!"

I've heard parents yell this at their children in stores, movies, everywhere, but never to a little baby! I was shocked and so was my mom. The baby went right on yowling it's little head off while the mom continued to swear and call it names and threaten to strangle it.

Finally she was aware of being goggled at, and her eyes met mine before her light turned green and she sped off, driving like a maniac down the road. I mean, one second she was there and then she was gone. I'd be surprised if that poor baby made it there in one piece!

ANother time, I was at McD's in line waiting for my order to be ready, and this little hyper active kid was running around the floor they had just mopped, weaving around the signs that said caution: floor is wet and had a picture of a guy falling. I watched in silence as the kid ran around, screeching.

The mom, who was sitting down like I was, chided her kid, "Now, stop it! Look, everyone is starin' at YOU."
    I thought, No everyone is staring at YOU, for your poor parenting skills!

I don't like going to the movie theaters because of all the weirdos that yap. None bigger than this thick heavyset guy, with his date, 35+ years old and had his jeans sagging so low past his knees, and big oversized dirty grey shirt over that. I was watching with a friend of mine a horror movie, and this dumb guy was sitting four rows behind and we could still hear everything that dumbshit said. His girlfriend just sat there and simpered, didn't even try to shush him up. A lot of people complained, and he just swaggered out, still blabbing and laughing his fool head off. SOme people really need to be hung by their ankles. I felt sorry for the movie theater CS desk that night.

And last but not least, was my own mom! She's never worked in CS before and has a really big temper and a really big accent. When I was getting my oil change for my car done, I mentioned the air pressure tire light was on, and my mom butted in. She started yelling about how none of her other daughter's car's air light went on, and that something was wrong. The clerk tried to reassure her that there was an easy remedy, but she didn't listen. I tried to calm her down, big mistake. She started yelling at me in spanish and english how wimpy I was and that I never cared enough to do anything. Okkkk... Like I said, she's never worked before in CS and probably never will. But I have, and I'd rather jump off a cliff than act the way she acted with the clerk. I apologized later, and the clerk said, "Yeah don't worry about it, my mom's the same." It was SOOOOO embarassing!
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

sounds like the baby was very uncomfortable (hot/humid) and mom was too busy doing what she wanted to do to care about the baby.

poor thing; he/she needed to be inside and cool.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I've seen a lot of annoying kids and questionable/bad parenting. Such is retail. But I distinctly remember the day a woman turned to her whimpering infant, got two inches from his face and screamed for him to SHUT. UP. Holy cow, I get that parents need quiet time too, but....wow.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

babies cry if you don't figure out what they want.

end of story.

Comment

Scary. When the baby cries that bad, best thing to do is walk away if you can't figure out what the problem is.

Of course some situations you can't. Crazy mom needed to pull over and tend to her kid and console him.

If I heard a mom threaten to strangle their baby, I'd be getting a license plate and calling CPS.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth flyingember View Post
            babies cry if you don't figure out what they want.

end of story.
            Sequel: Babies cry louder if you scream in their faces.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

According to my mother, sometimes babies just cry. At least, that's what she told me when my niece was a baby.

I was babysitting. Ashleigh was crying. I changed her, offered her formula, checked that her crib/playpen thing was cosy/comfortable and had toys, tried to read to her/cuddle her, then put her back in her crib and called Mum and tried to get some idea what I'd done wrong or not done.

Nope - apparently sometimes babies just cry. Make sure she's safe and fine, then leave her in her crib and let her cry herself out....
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My college roommate was one of those babies, Seshat. She said that when her grandma would babysit her, she'd do everything she could to make my friend comfortable, then just leave her in the master bedroom wailing while going to get other things done around the house. She'd get occasional dirty looks from friends of hers who heard the baby screaming, but she ignored it because there was really nothing else to be done (and she wasn't taking the baby out in public to annoy everyone else in creation).

Having two of my own, though, I know that when they're still in that "baby" stage, screaming at them is only going to exacerbate the problem, not fix it. The in-your-face screaming is just another stimulus that sets off more crying.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

When my friend's kid was about 9 months old he's start to scream for no reason. If you screamed back at him he'd hush up and get this funny look on his face and start giggling. He just wanted to be loud with someone.
                  Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Quoth RedRoseSpiral View Post
                    When my friend's kid was about 9 months old he's start to scream for no reason. If you screamed back at him he'd hush up and get this funny look on his face and start giggling. He just wanted to be loud with someone.
                    Ok, there are exceptions.

I know with mine, it wasn't until close to a year that you could start mimicking them (usually if they were faking it or looking to be loud, rather than genuinely upset) and not make them just cry harder. But then you had to be sure they weren't genuinely upset about something before you tried the trick.

Comment

Yelling at the baby was not ok, but talking on the phone while he/she was crying-been there, done that. My daughter cried whenever we got in the car. When we went to the dr, the grocery store, anywhere. It bothered me at first and then I had to deal with it or we never would have gone anywhere. So sometimes, yes, I wad driving, talking on my cell and my daughter wad crying. I suppose I could have stopped the car, comforted her and then kept driving but she would have started crying again, since what was wrong was that she wanted out of the car. So we never would have gotten home. She only stopped doing this last month whenshe turned 1 and we turned her carseat forward.

Comment

Why do people DO this to infants?! They can't understand you, and they're just trying to communicate the only way they know how.

I couldn't imagine screaming at my daughter like that- I've gotten frustrated, but I would never EVER do anything like that.
                        Last edited by Dips; 04-07-2011, 05:58 PM. Reason: removed fratching comment

Comment

Wow, real suck with the guy in the theater.

When I would look after my cousin when she was a baby, I learned that jingling keys always quieted he no matter what. If I had done everything (changing, feeding, etc) and she wouldn't stop crying, I'd just grab my mom's keys and jingle them. I just thought I'd comment this.

Comment

Quoth Rena_Muffin View Post
                            Wow, real suck with the guy in the theater.

When I would look after my cousin when she was a baby, I learned that jingling keys always quieted he no matter what. If I had done everything (changing, feeding, etc) and she wouldn't stop crying, I'd just grab my mom's keys and jingle them. I just thought I'd comment this.
                            Just want to mention though, sometimes babies cry because they're *overstimulated*, therefore if something like that doesn't work, putting them in their crib or swing and leaving them be for a bit will work. I did that a few times with my daughter and if that were the case it would work. It's just one more thing that they don't tell you before you have the little buggers!

Comment

Quoth Trjgul View Post
                              It's just one more thing that they don't tell you before you have the little buggers!
                              Parenting classes. It should be mandatory that every pregnant woman should have to fill out a short checklist-style questionnaire, & if they score below a certain level in 1 or more sections, go on a mandatory parenting course that will cover things like feeding, changing, the way to pick up/hold a baby, appropriate clothing for weather conditions, what to do when a baby is crying, etc. The basic things that aren't always passed on by close relatives or intuitively obvious if you don't spend a lot of time around kids.

Anyone who refuses or repeatedly fails miserably can be checked on a little more carefully by the health visitor.
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                              X