This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacreligious Sighting (gross!)

First off, although this happened in church, the religion angle only enters into it for background. I do not want to see this turned into a religious debate of any kind.

I was at church with my mother this past Sunday, and as we normally do, we sit towards the front.

So after communion I'm kneeling in my pew with my eyes closed when I heard coughing and sputtering. I opened my eyes and there was some schlub choking on the communion wine..........and coughing and spewing DIRECTLY BACK INTO THE CHALICE!

Not only did he quite thoroughly contaminate an entire chalic full of wine, but he also spilled a bunch on the floor. It was horrifying not just from a spiritual angle but from a basic health & hygiene angle as well.
    e
    Seriously, you don't *have* to have a sip of communion wine; the host alone is quite sufficient. If you don't like the taste of wine or otherwise can't handle it or are ill DON'T DRINK IT!

Because of this, they had to shut down that communion station and the poor Eucharistic Minister had to explain it to the Priest. Oh, and because he was forced to use a Purificator (a type of white towel which is the only thing allowed to be used on chalices/communion wine) to wipe up the spill, someone's going to have an extra fun time when laundry time comes.

Ugh.....I wanted to smack the guy that did it. Luckily, we were in church so I just closed my eyes again and ignored him as he went back to his pew.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 03-22-2011, 08:48 PM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Could it be when he drank the wine, it went down the wrong pipe?
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

It could be that, but if it were that bad, he drank too much. You're only supposed to have a sip of wine.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
        Could it be when he drank the wine, it went down the wrong pipe?
        Even if that were the case, you don't spew it back into the chalice.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
          Even if that were the case, you don't spew it back into the chalice.
          Exactly. That's just inconsiderate and gross.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Could it have been because ...HE IS SATAN?!!!!! :-)
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Ours uses small personal cups as well as the chalice, you can choose which you want to use.

Me? I use the little personal cups for this very reason. :P
              Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

OK, I can see that it was gross, but I'm guessing it happened by accident. I've had small sips go down the wrong way and start off a major coughing fit. It actually happened to me just last Friday, I stopped to buy a bottle of wine on my way home from work. The owner of the shop offered me a taste of something I was looking at, I took one small sip and immediately started to cough. It just hit me the wrong way. However, I've learned that with liquids, the best thing to do is to swallow very carefully and usually I can stop myself from spitting it all over the place.

This guy probably just couldn't stop himself, and it happened too fast for the priest to move the chalice out of his way.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I will say, this is one reason I'm grateful my denomination's version of communion (though by a different name) uses plain tap water instead of wine, and in individual disposable cups (sip-sized). You're generally not contaminating anything if the incident in the OP happens, and clean-up is hassle-free.

But anyway, yeah, even if it was just an accident, he probably should've aimed away from the chalice instead of back in. Oops.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Ummm dumb question-do kids drink the wine?

(was brought up Uniting Church of Australia which doesn't do communion)
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I can't speak for the OP, but I've attended several churches throughout my life, and only one used the chalice; the rest used the individual cups (a little larger than a thimble) with maybe a teaspoon of wine in them, just enough to taste. That tiny amount, plus the fact that most of them used either a low-alcohol wine or plain grape juice, should not harm a child.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

(my experience is with Church or England which is protestant, other denominations may vary)

Children who have been confirmed can take communion wine, it is sipped literally just to taste. There are exceptions in licensing/under age drinking laws to allow this.

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post

Some churches use grape juice. Some use individual cups, other (esp Catholic in my admittedly limited experience) use the chalice.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post

Kids in mine (Lutheran, USA) are given wine in communion after they are through confirmation class, usually between ages 11-12. Prior to that, they are given a blessing by the pastor as he walks by as you can only take communion in our church if you understand the symbolism behind it.
                            Last edited by Mystic; 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM.
                            Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I was raised Anglican. My first Communion was at age 7, and I got the bread but not the wine until I was confirmed at 13. After that I got both. There was a big beautiful chalice and I was told to just let the wine touch my lips and tongue. The priest would wipe the rim of the chalice with a cloth in between people.

Regarding hygiene, I stopped going to church around age 17 (around 1994), but up until then the chalice was used as described above in that church. Whenever I've been to church with my husband's family within the last five years we're given a wafer and told to dip it in the wine. That way nobody's germs get spread around.

Comment

Working...
                              X