This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What not to name a bar

A local drinking establishment in my town just changed hands (and I'm not surprised... the previous owner had been rumoured to be up to some very illegal dealings). The new owners decided to change the bar's name to something that didn't have the same past as the previous name.

So, they went with a simple version of "Club xxxx", where the "xxxx" is the building's street address.

The only problem is, the number "xxxx" is also the police call number for "Officer in trouble".

Someone from law enforcement mentioned it to them before they had their signs finalized, and now they're looking for a new name.
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

facepalm!

we've got 2 in the same center, next door to each other, that keep changing names (owners) and right now they're Spinners and Amnesia....

and before Amnesia was Amnesia it was RockStars

I remember when Spinners was Merkaba - i went to it then - haven't been to either since any name changes.... (don't know what Rockstars was originally - never went)
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

How about Club 10-51? That seems appropriate
      !
      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

A restaurant/bar opened up in my city with the name "Purgatory". I'm sure the owners were thinking of the mythical place between heaven and hell, but the root of the name means the place where the Romans made themselves vomit during their feasts. Uh... Bleh.

Comment

Wasn't that the Vomitorium, though?

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
            Wasn't that the Vomitorium, though?
            Vomitorium means a particular kind of exit from a building, and Romans didn't do that.

ETA: A link to the Wikipedia article.
            Last edited by ArcticChicken; 03-28-2011, 11:31 PM.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Huh. I did not know that...even my Latin teacher was using the word wrong then.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Years ago we played for a guy that bought a popular local bar,I knew he was gonna screw it up.When he lost the lease on the original place he moved up the street & renamed it "Cheaters".Yeah,that'll go over real well with the married crowd,I thought.

Didn't last a year.
                "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

A few years ago 'around the corner' of my house a Chinese restaurant named 'OK Wok'

'hmmm..Not that great.. but it was ok'.
                  Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

A funny. The bar up the street has had numerous incarnations over the years. One of those was a gay bar. (Note, this is not a post condemning alternative lifestyles.)

When new management took over, they renamed the place. And for some reason, felt they should put on its marquee below the sign, "Not a Gay Bar".

Oooo-kaay...
                    Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

There was once a kosher Chinese joint in Queens called "Ten Li Chow".

So what? Well, in Hebrew "Ten li" means "Give Me".

(The food wasn't great; it's not there any more. It seems there's a current place in Evanston IL with the same name; no idea if they're related.)

Comment

They just opened a place here in Texas called Fat Ho Burgers. I actually want to go. It was on the news. lol.
                        We ask ourselves when we get in a fix, what would Popeye do in a tight spot like this? He'd race for his true love and easily win it, in an old spinach can with a mast stuck in it. -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Aww, I get no creative bar renames... There's one biker bar(Or it used to be) up at the end of the nearest major roadway to my park. It used to be "On The Rocks", complete with a mountain logo. Then it got bought out, and became "Boneshakers", complete with a skeleton riding a motorcycle. Still Boneshakers, but now it's a SPORTS BAR... They've become all the rage lately around here.
                          Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth CaptainJillian View Post
                            They just opened a place here in Texas called Fat Ho Burgers. I actually want to go. It was on the news. lol.
                            Gunna have to be a bit more specific than that. :P Although if I had to guess, my first guess would be it's located in Austin somewhere.

Comment

we have a bar/club known as "Plan B", most people have no idea it's actually a gay bar....
                              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                              X