This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
    we have a bar/club known as "Plan B", most people have no idea it's actually a gay bar....
    Ironic name, given that it's also the name of a product which none of their clientele are ever likely to need to purchase.

Comment

Quoth xx_wolfie_xx View Post
      Gunna have to be a bit more specific than that. :P Although if I had to guess, my first guess would be it's located in Austin somewhere.
      Actually it's in Waco. Which is odd. It should be in Austin. Hahaha.
      We ask ourselves when we get in a fix, what would Popeye do in a tight spot like this? He'd race for his true love and easily win it, in an old spinach can with a mast stuck in it. -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

For awhile, there was a bar literally around the corner to where I live called The Nowhere Special Lounge. It lived up? down? to the name very well for the time it was open.

Hits against it;
        A few months after it opened, one of the city managers stopped in on his own time to take a look around, get a drink, relax, etc. ... He was told, not asked, told, by the bartender to leave as he was 'to old'. At the time, he was in his late 30s or so, and looked to be in his early to mid 30s.

The cheapest drink on the menu was easily double the price of the same drink at any other bar in town. Good idea if the bars are spread out, however there are four or five other bars within spitting distance.

From the second night it was opened until it shut down, after closing there was always loud people yelling and screaming outside, sounds of stuff getting smashed, squealing tires, etc. Great fun when all of this sounded like it was happening right. outside. my bedroom window.
        Having a large police presence there around closing didn't seem to help any.

The owners and staff couldn't understand why each time that their license came up for renewal, the neighbourhood would be at each council meeting talking about the noise, damage done, etc. The owners were completely mystified and dumbfounded by all of the opposition from their neighbours. Had one comment that we should be glad, if not ecstatic, at someone bringing a bar from the big city to our dull little town.

For one council meeting, a recording of the noise was submitted. That recording was made from inside the house, with the windows closed, at the far side of the building. Council asked several times for the recording of stuff being smashed, glass breaking, tires squealing, etc to be turned down while it was playing. The person who had the recording refused, pointing out that this was what happened each night the lounge was open starting at about 1am or so.

One night I looked out the window to see pretty flashing lights next door. A lot more flashing lights then normal. Instead of the usual police cars, there were also several fire trucks and ambulances on site. Turned out someone had been spiking the drinks and a lot of young women were being taken to the hospital reacting to an unknown substance. Of the ones I saw while observing from the sidelines, the one that seemed to be in the best shape could not stand on her own, head flopping all over the place, couldn't talk, etc.

The owners and staff couldn't understand why the next time the licenses came up for renewal, their request was outright denied for that group any further licenses to operate a bar in city limits for the forseeable future.

All in all, that place was open far too long, and not sorry in the slightest to see it gone. Hopefully, the out of country owners lost a bundle while trying to run the place and bring 'big city culture to our sleepy little town in the middle of nowhere.'

In the same space now is a sushi bar. Unfortunately I can't afford to eat there as often as I'd like
        (That, and I don't like eating alone when eating out.)

Comment

There were (?are?) a 'correlated' set of bars here:

My Wife's Place.
          My Ex-Wife's Place.
          My Other Wife's Place.

Good answers for the 'Honey, where were you?" question.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

There's a bar in the next town over called Whisky Dicks and what cracks me up is they have a comedy show who's radio ad tag line is Comedy Caravan still cheaper than a hooker.

Comment

There's the Hung Far Low in Portland, OR:
              http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Hung-F...102169149.html
              Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
              TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Here in Minneapolis area, we have a small Asian food chain called "Big Bowl".

....let the pot jokes fly! *heh*
                DJ Particle

Comment

We don't have any interestingly-named bars around here. At least none that I know of--if I'm going to drink, I do it at home. Less chance of having to deal with the local PD However, one from Cape May (NJ) comes to mind. That would be Carney's "Other Room," so called, because it's next door to Carney's restaurant
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

30 or so years ago when I lived in St. Louis (south side) there was a nice little corner bar named OTC. the owner would not say what OTC meant. it could ahve meant On The Corner (it WAS on the corner) or ONLY The Crazies.

there was another little hole in the wall bar named Here. their tag line was "If the woman is bugging you have her send you HERE"
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth lobo94 View Post
                      A funny. The bar up the street has had numerous incarnations over the years. One of those was a gay bar. (Note, this is not a post condemning alternative lifestyles.)

When new management took over, they renamed the place. And for some reason, felt they should put on its marquee below the sign, "Not a Gay Bar".

Oooo-kaay...
                      There's a gay bar in Dallas that, to this day, makes me grin every time I see the sign.

The Hidden Pickle.

Comment

There is a gay bar in Asheville, NC called LaRue's Backdoor. My very first date with my now-boyfriend started there.
                        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

A while back (no idea if it's still there) there was a gay bar in Leeds called 'The Rocket'.

It was renamed from 'Cock of the North'. I think they should have kept the original name.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                          X