This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 157.00 of Groceries in express lane

SC at the Walmart was checking out a full basket of groceries in the express lane. Since he was almost finished I got behind him... his total came to 157 dollars.

He had a permanent scowl on his face, likely from being an a** h*** most of his life. I didn't say anything because I'm sure it was intentional.

Well that sounds like one of two things has happened, either management has removed the authority of the cashiers to enforce a written policy, or the cashier is simply THAT apathetic.

Comment

My store will allow people over the limit for express if the regular registers have lines. Otherwise we do tell customers that they need/should go to a regular lane.

Comment

at my store once a customer is in line we are not allowed to tell them its 20 items or less.

Comment

Quoth sweetj82 View Post
          at my store once a customer is in line we are not allowed to tell them its 20 items or less.
          Same with my company.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

There was no one else behind him when you walked up? Plenty of times at grocery stores and wal mart I have been waved into the express line when I have a full cart because there was no one else in line.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to ditto Reverend. That was the policy when I was at the grocery store. In fact, the express cashiers were supposed to go and pull customers out of the other lines if they had no customers.

Comment

In moments like that, what are your takes on being an SC to the SC? Do you whine, groan about how people can't read or count, etc? I wouldn't take it out on the cashier (I'd be more empathetic toward the cashier), but lay it on thick on the SC in front of me.

Comment

I'm guessing he was waved into the express line too.

Many places are so big on minimizing customers' wait times at the checkouts, they'll throw out their express lane policies just so they can show they value the customer's time.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

When I briefly worked for Safeway, even though I wasn't actually going to be working a till, I received some basic training. In that training was a comment about how if you have no line, you should try to call over people if a line has built up at another till. However, it does say to try to only pick people who do not have large amounts of groceries, for exactly the reason mentioned in the OP.

You can have 0 people in your express line, and then suddenly have 4 people with 10 items each. If you're in the middle of checking out someone with $157 worth of groceries, those four people with 10 items each are not going to be amused, nor will they understand that there was no line when you brought the guy over to check him out.

I do think it's nice if I get pulled out of a line by a cashier that has no line themselves, but not so much when it's an express line I'm going to and I have more than the limit. I don't like to impose upon the next customer who might wander up while I'm being checked out.

Comment

When I cashiered at *big box retail*, we weren't allowed to turn people away if they had over 20 items. And those customers rarely came to an empty register, I always had people in line before and after them. The reason we couldn't turn people away? Because they complained louder than the folks stuck behind large Express Lane purchases. Corporate sided with the complainers.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I've related this story before on this site, but I frequently had to pull the big orders to the express register at the wholesale club. One morning, on an opening shift, a scheduling mix-up meant there was only one cashier. And that was me. Since the re-sellers come for their cigarettes in the AM, I had to be on express.

Thus, there effectively was no express line. Most customers understood that. Not this SC.

There was me, finishing up a re-seller's purchase when SC storms up.

SC: I thought this was the express line!
                        J2K: Sir, when I'm the only cashier, there is no express line.

He pulled a classic CBF, dropped his armful of merchandise on the belt of the next register, and stormed out of the store. I was this.close to being choked up. Honestly, there were almost tears.

I just shrugged and went about being awesome and handling all the customers by myself (apart from those who went to SCO).
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I see how it could be possible for the customer to be lead to the express lane... am just glad he was almost finished.

Thank you all for sharing your experience.

Comment

My dad was in line behind one of these assholes once, and the guy had the nerve to turn around and complain to my dad about how slow and stupid the cashier was. The Old Man just said "I know how you feel about stupid people, I'm stuck behind a guy with a million items in an express lane." Or something to that effect. I don't remember exactly what he said anymore, but you get the point.

Comment

The big supermarket down the road has just doubled it's floor area, as I may have mentioned previously.

It's been doubled along the side that contains the checkouts. This means there are almost twice as many of those as before.

None of them are "express".

Comment

Working...
                              X