This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "this doesn't smell new"

I was standing behind the customer. imho, he wasn't the sucky one, but i'll leave it open for debate.

C: Customer
    D: Person at the desk
    M: Manager

I was standing behind C sorting through some tshirts while this happened, he was at an infodesk. I know D from a few years back when we went to school together, i was actually waiting for her to finish so i could have a chat with her when there weren't any customers, and while doing so was browsing through them shirts to have something in my hand, pretending not to eavesdrop

C: i'd like to return this please *hands over a backpack*
    D: sure, what's wrong with it?
    C: well, the thing is, it doesn't fit in my locker at work, i didn't realise witht he hard back, it wouldn't go in, it's maybe a centimeter too wide. for the rest, i do like it.
    D: so it's been used then?
    C: yes, i took it to work once. i still have the ticket though, i only bought it here last week.
    D: Ok, i'll see what i can do, i'll call the manager over. (note: for all returns, they have to have them done by a manager)
    M: *D explains the situation* *M then sniffs the bag. smells it all over actually.*
    M: sorry, we can't take this bag back, it doesn't smell new anymore.
    C: *gets a wtf look on his face* I only used it the one time, to go to work and back!
    M: sorry, no can do, we can't put it back in store if it doesn't smell new anymore
    C: You know, i spent hundreds here before but if that's how i'm treated, you won't see me here again!

Tbh, i thought it was a weird reason for not taking back a backpack bought only a week earlier, but i figured maybe there was another reason. i have some small talk with D and then ask her what was up with that previous customer.

D: *sighs* I know him, he's a regular we usually don't have a problem with. You know, that backpack still even had the tag on it, i don't think it smelled like anything, new or otherwise...

Couple of weeks later i see D again, outside of the workplace: she asks me if i still remembered the customer with the backpack. he wrote a letter of complaint to the GM of the store and somehow to most of the employees of the store in CC, stating he'd take his business elsewhere and explaining how dissapointed he was in M and the store policy. Apparently he actually did spend over 1000 euro in the store over the last three months (they can't check any further back) and hasn't come back since the incident. The cost of the backpack? 60 euro.

How he got the employees emails? He knows them all by name, and their emailaddress are *firstname*.*firstletteroflastname*@store.com - he knew most people there by name even, so my guess is he' been a reg since much longer than the three months they can check even.

That's a weird reason to refuse a return-because it doesn't smell new?

Comment

Unless he used it as a gym bag and it smelled sweaty (ew), I don't really get it. Is the store part of a chain? Because it's probably a good idea to email corporate in addition to the GM. Not that you have any control over a random customer, I'm just thinking/typing out loud.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Smell? That reason doesn't make sense to me.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I had to read that a few times. I can see if it might have gotten something like cigarette smell transferred to it. But just to say that it doesn't smell new?

I can't see how the customer would be sucky, even with the threat of taking his business elsewhere. He's honestly justified in this one because the manager screwed the pooch on this. I guess the GM didn't offer to take back the bag?
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Ugh, reminds me of when I tried to return my belt to hot topic because it didn't fit right. She refused the return because there was "something on it" that no one but her could see. I ended up going to a different location to take it back.
            Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Man, where are all these hard-ass managers at when someone tries to return a year-old sweater that's been washed, or some other ridiculous thing?
              !
              "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Obviously SC's have access to the super secret "Smells New(tm)" Detergent.
                I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                  Unless he used it as a gym bag and it smelled sweaty (ew), I don't really get it. Is the store part of a chain?
                  Hehe, according to D, there was no smell at all. so no "new" smell, but neither a cig/sweaty smell - it was a regular backpack too, not a gym bag.

It's a family business that owns three stores in towns all close together, no idea if he contacted the "big chief" :P If he did, he mustn't have liked his answer either.

I think the thing that weirded me out was the way he sniffed that pack. If you've seen true blood, in season one where sam sniffs the bed of one of the victims? that kinda way

Comment

That's just

Accept the return and spritz it with Febreeze or something.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm sorry sir, I can't take back this Playstation because it smells like weed. Oh, and this baggie fell out, is it yours?

Comment

Working...
                      X