Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is a movie theater, not your living room, or Shut up already!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a movie theater, not your living room, or Shut up already!

Tonight the hubby and I went to go see Sucker Punch. Great movie, btw. I like surreal type stories and it the special effects were awesome.

Let me preface this by the fact that on Friday and Saturday nights, the teenagers come out in full force and head to the movie theaters. Most of the kids are well behaved and tend to stick to themselves.

However tonight was the exception to the rule. When I first got into the theater while the husband went to get drinks, it was empty. No one else. I got us some decent seats and enjoyed the preshow.

About 5 minutes before the previews a group of kids came in and claimed the back row. Now I can understand they want to see everything and feel that being in the back row is cool. However, it's not cool to whisper, giggle and move around the back row switching seats just because you want to talk to your friend. I started shooting icy glares at them and they'd shut up for a few moments before starting in again.

It's also not cool to give away parts of the movie, even if you're whispering it and it's as close to a stage whisper as you can get. The straw that broke the camel's back was when one of the kids walked from one end of the theater to the other to just sit behind me, prop his feet one either side of the seat next to me and then start kicking my chair. I got up, and said to the husband "I've had enough of this crap" and found an usher. He caught one of the kids and took him outside. I'm not sure what he said, but he stood there for another minute before he went up to the back row and said something to them, went to stand for another minute or two, then left.

That shut them up for the rest of the movie. I think it's the first time I've ever had to go find someone to do something about people. The only other time I've gone to find someone has been to do something about the movie playing, and that was when The Last Airbender was playing.
    Last edited by fma_fanatic; 04-10-2011, 04:35 AM.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Not cool. I've had the good fortune to be in an empty theater before, and yes, it's a LOT of fun to be able to talk and be obnoxious. But a near-empty theater isn't the same as an empty one. Is it that hard to be respectful of other peoples' viewing experience?

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

This is one of the reasons I go to the theater in the middle of the week and to the first showing. Rarely anyone ever there. Talking during movies or using cellphones are two of my biggest pet peeves. I can't stand it.
      Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Imagine how thrilled I was that the local theaters instilled the "after 6pm" rule. Any showings after 6pm requires a chaperone for customers under 16. The chaperone must be at least 18 and MUST be in the same theater. The biggest problem was with the tween set, where parents would drop them off or attend a completely different show. They had lots of fights, lot of police interaction, etc. Theater is just as popular as ever, but is now civil. Awesome.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          Imagine how thrilled I was that the local theaters instilled the "after 6pm" rule. Any showings after 6pm requires a chaperone for customers under 16. The chaperone must be at least 18 and MUST be in the same theater. The biggest problem was with the tween set, where parents would drop them off or attend a completely different show. They had lots of fights, lot of police interaction, etc. Theater is just as popular as ever, but is now civil. Awesome.
          Oh I wish they had this. It would have made things so much nicer. But they don't do that here, at least not at these particular theaters (AMC). I don't know about the Regal.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
            The only other time I've gone to find someone has been to do something about the movie playing, and that was when The Last Airbender was playing.
            Hey, that wasn't the theater's fault, don't get mad at them.
            "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
              It's also not cool to give away parts of the movie, even if you're whispering it and it's as close to a stage whisper as you can get.
              Yeah, I had that happen once with some idiot, who had already seen the movie, telling his buddy everything that was about to happen.

Another time, the idiot in question was someone in my same group. He had already read the book, and five minutes into the movie, he points to the guy on the screen and said, "That's the killer!" There was almost another killing in that theater that night.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Sadly this is the reason why I have to wait for stuff to come out on DVD for me to see it, people are assholes.
                ......../\
                ....../__\
                ..../\...../\
                ../__\../__\

Comment

Me too. I'm not paying that kind of money to have to put up with crap like this. I'll go see a kiddie movie with my kid...but then, you expect people to act like children in a kiddie movie.

Interesting, I find the behavior in a kiddie movie to actually be BETTER than in a movie for so called grown ass adults.

I can watch anything I care to see at home.

Comment

I don't go out to movies much at all.....I tend to watch what I want on dvd at home. With my tv and surround sound it's like being in a theater anyway
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I shudder going to most movies. People just have no manners.

But I'm impatient (although I have noticed in recent times that movies are making better effort to be released to DVD in more appropriate time instead of several months after theaters), and I don't really have that great of a system at home.

It's nice and a luxury for me to go to the movies. I know for most spoiled rotten teenagers and dumb college kids, it's just another night, and that's why they act that way. It irritates the hell out of me that people can't be quiet for an hour and a half. Seriously. Shut the fuck up.

Or the fact that people can't be without texting for a simple movie. Wow.

Then of course, you have my bf, who has the absolute worst case of ADHD ever known to man (I am NOT ripping on everyone with ADHD, just him), and he cannot be quiet or follow a movie to save his own life. It's almost hopeless, he will always ask questions or even try to start talking to me WHILE the movie is playing and I'm already involved in it.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

sadly, i've pretty much given up on going to the movies due to the lack of manners people show these days. i'm not willing to shell out $30 or more only to have some twats ruin my experience and waste my time.

comments during the movie...i don't mind them if they're pretty hushed, but if they're loud and obnoxious, no.

also a no to unruly kids with no supervision; you had em, you watch em.
                        look! it's ghengis khan!
                        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                        X