This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What We All Wish We Could Say

Hey hoo, Limescale here again! So far no other new weird goings on so I thought I'd share something that's been on my mind for a while. Despite having not worked behind an actual counter for years (though I'd be happy to share some stories from then if anyone wants to hear about ancient memories) this site has kept me fresh on the lexicon of sucky customers, and just how many times I've come up with a brilliant response that sadly had to remain unsaid for reasons of general politeness and not wanting to lose my job.

As such I present Limescale's list of snappy comebacks to the age old cliches of customer crappiness:

1. "But (other store) has it at (lower price)!"

Response:

- "Well I think we can do something about that. What you want to do is walk out our front door then *proceed to give directions to other store. If you have a sheet of paper handy, draw them a map as well for added bonus*

2. "They let me have it for free all the time!"

Response:

- "Really? Do you perchance have a name or a physical description of who has been violating policy for you so we can see to it that they're fired immediately? Oh and I'll need your name, address and phone number as well so when we let them go we can tell them who informed us of their crimes, and also if they decide to contest it we can call you in to testify against them in court."

4. "I'm going to complain and get you fired!"

Response:

- *If you work at a small establishment with limited staff* "Then I must warn you that if you do there won't be anyone to ring up your purchases, or the purchases of anyone else in the store/anyone else in the line behind you. The other patrons won't appreciate that very much."

- *If you have an intercom handy.* "Attention shoppers, we regret to inform you that due to a customer complaint filed by (customer name) at (register location) we have been forced to dismiss (your name) in accordance with our promise to provide outstanding customer service. While we thank (customer name) for bringing this issue to our attention we regret to inform you that for the moment there is now no one able to service you. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask that you please leave and return when notified that we have been able to hire new staff. Again that was (customer name) standing at (register location)."

- "Okay, well you know what that means right? I'm not a staff member any more, now I'm a customer just like you! That means I get to behave just like you, be rude, inconsiderate and demeaning just like you! What, there's nothing you can do now, I don't work here anymore!"

5. "I'm a friend/neighbor/bastard offspring/former roommate of the owner!"

Response:

- "Well why didn't you say so in the first place? I'll just ring him/her up and have them approve this right now. Can I please get your name so I can tell him/her who this is for?"

- "Hmm, and they didn't give you an executive discount card? That's weird it's basically an exclusive gift card that all friends of the higher ups are given when they come in to shop. Don't know why they forgot to see that you got one. Never mind, just give them a ring and ask for a replacement, I'm sure they'll be happy to issue you one seeing as you're such a dear friend. Oh and make sure they sign before they give it to you, cause we need their signature to know it's legit."

- *if you're on good terms with the owner of your workplace* "Really? Funny that Mom/Dad have never mentioned you before. They're usually pretty good at keeping me abreast of their known acquaintances."

6. "I demand you honor this expired/unrelated sales price!"

Response:

- "Very well. You are a most respectful and merited sales price. Quite frankly I feel humbled to have the privilege of being in the presence of such a high standing superior member of our store's pricing system. On my heart I swear off all other prices as you truly are the most noble financial standard we have ever set!" *bow in courtesy*

- "Oooh are you sure you want me to? It would mean having to completely disrupt the flow of the space time continuum, rearranging everything so we were in the proper time/dimension where that price would apply, and then having to clean up all the temporal anomalies, time paradoxes and dimensional rifts that would inevitably result. I mean you'd be looking at at least a couple days wait for me to do all that. Do you really want to wait that long?"

7. "I demand you take my expired coupon!"

Response:

- "As you wish." *take coupon and place it somewhere out of the customer's reach* "That will be (normal price) please."

8. "I shop here all the time!"

Response:

- "Really? And you still don't know what our policies are? Damn we're going to need to start holding seminars so this won't keep happening. What time next week can you come in for a refresher on store rules?"

-"Hmmm, and you pull this same dishonest crap every time? Hey (manager) I think I found the reason why our sales are so low this quarter!"

9. "This is bad customer service!!"

Response:

- "No this is standard operating procedure in accordance with the rules of conduct set down by the corporate office. Bad customer service would be me being as rude, and disruptive, and condescending as...well, ye that standeth before me.

- "Why thank you for that! We do strive to maintain the same level of excellence that we always have!"

10. "You just lost a customer!"

- "Not to worry, I'll make an announcement and see if we can locate them for you."

- "That's fine, another one will turn up shortly."

That's about all I can remember for right now. Anyone else got more?
    Last edited by Dave1982; 10-26-2012, 12:42 PM. Reason: the mods are not mind-readers!

Haha, wow, that last group was amazing. Thanks for sharing. If most of these are yours, I would be lucky to have a pal like yeh for a co-worker.

Coupon:
    "If it's okay for me to take your expired coupon, it's okay for me to sell you expired milk. I think we both know that's not okay."

Lost:
    "Where's Aisle 36?"
    "Next to Aisle 37, most of the time. If it's not, let me know. It usually hides next to Aisle 35. It's a crafty one, that."

Register:
    "Can I pay here?"
    "You can, but you shouldn't. It's advisable that you pay at the location where they keep the cashiers and the registers."

Suspect:
    "Are you new here or something?"
    "Yes. Your planet is very backwards." (Signature. )

Measurements:
    "How long have you been working here?"
    "About five foot eight. *shrug*"
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Quoth Limescale View Post
      2. "They let me have it for free all the time!"

Response:

- "Really? Do you perchance have a name or a physical description of who has been violating policy for you so we can see to it that they're fired immediately? Oh and I'll need your name, address and phone number as well so when we let them go we can tell them who informed us of their crimes, and also if they decide to contest it we can call you in to testify against them in court."
      I've actually done similar to this before. Someone was claiming "'They' always let me (insert free/cheaper price/accepting coupons that aren't legit/etc)!"

My response? "Oh? Well, I'll need their name."

"What? Why?"

"So they can be written up or terminated for defrauding the company."

"I... Er..."

Comment

I'll throw in this one since it's relevant to a particular customer. It's adaptable to your circumstances, just change "ads" to your merchandise of choice:

"I've been paying for ads for a while now, I should get a discount to renew. How about buy five, get one free?"

"Well, sir, looking at your history with us, you've placed approximately 400 ads over the last four years. More than half of them were free ads, so you've got a long way to go before you quality for any more."

I wish!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

SC: "Are you new or something?"
          Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."
          please tell me that one really worked.

5. "I'm a friend/neighbor/bastard offspring/former roommate of the owner!"
          This one always makes me laugh cos one of the tactical gear shops my BF likes... the owner (Chris) had a customer tell him, "I know Chris! Can I get a discount?"

For a while he even put it on some shirts, but they're no longer available.

Comment

*snip*
            As such I present Limescale's list of snappy comebacks to the age old cliches of customer crappiness:
            A MAD Magazine fan??

I love your responses and only wish I could actually use them! I had something similar to #2 happen to me last week (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=93902) and when even the manager refused to "admit" the customer was right, she continued with her purchases but with the CBF very much in evidence.

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
            *large snip*

Suspect:
            "Yes. Your planet is very backwards." (Signature. )
            The customer mentioned above used this line on me -- DAMN but I wish I'd had this snappy comeback at my disposal! (Although I suspect I'd have been mildly chastised by my manager for it, LOL.)

Comment

When I worked at Dollar General, I had a GM named Benny. The store he oversaw was right around the corner from two retirement homes. Naturally, more than a couple of our customers fit the "crotchety" stereotype. On more than one occasion, he has had THIS conversation.

SC: I don't like your attitude, I want to talk to your manager!
              BENNY: Gimme a second, I'll get him.
              *turns away from SC, then turns back*
              BENNY: How can I help you?
              SC: *catbutt face and storms off*

*Other customers who know the SC snicker and chuckle as the SC leaves.*
              "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

A common one I get:

"Damn! That's expensive!"

What I'd like to do/say: "Oh, I'm sorry. Let me go and lower every price in the store for you. Oh wait...I don't have that authority. Sorry, you'll have to pay (Supposedly expensive Price)."

or, alternatively: "I don't set the prices. Also, you're in a convenience store. Everything is expensive in convenience stores!"

Another one:

"Someone spilled their coffee/soda/etc over there!" (when it was obviously them)

Me; "Oh, thank you for telling me you spilled your drink. Here's a rag. What? Has no one ever expected you to clean up after yourself before?"
                "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Oh I could have so much fun if I could say what I wanted sometimes...
                  Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                  It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Instead of "L'esprit de l'escalier" we could call these "esprit de maintien d'emploi."

My favorite retort to "I'm good friends with Tom" (Trying to weasel out of the cover charge.) when working door at a particular bar was always "Ah - then you know he needs the money, thanks."

And I've certainly called out a few SCs for "Soandso discounts it for me" in exactly the manner described. The look of panic on their face is priceless.

Comment

SC: On back order? How can my part be on back order?!

Me: Sir, the inter-dimensional pocket universe they pull these particular parts from broke down. If you thought it took our techs a while to look at your product, imagine the wait time for the repair on a broken universe!
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
                        Suspect:
                        Ooh, ooh, me! I have one for this.

[Deadpan voice]"Yes Sir. I was produced by the RegisterDroneXR32 employee generator exactly 32.68 minutes ago and will be recycled in 447.32 minutes to make materials for tomorrow's batch of workers."[/Deadpan Voice]
                        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

This one was from Snopes, but damned if I can find the link now.

Customer at airline counter: Do you know who I am?

Counter attendant: Attention, travelers: we have a man at our front counter who does not know who he is. Can someone please come to the counter and help him identify himself?

Comment

This one:

Customer (said in an extremely snippy voice): Oh, so the big-shots get a free obit, but the regular people have to pay, is that it?

Me: Yes, sir, that's exactly right. The point being that a famous person's death is noteworthy, while yours is not. Welcome to reality.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

9. "This is bad customer service!!"
                              Not what I wish I could say, but what I DID say one day when I was stuck in a line behind this arse:

"Well, technically you're right. You're a bad customer, and she's serving you anyway. Now shut up and stop being a whiny arse and get out of my way." Dude turned around to give my short self some lip and discovered that I'm holding a box of Advil, two big boxes of tampons (love BOGOs at the drug store!) and a pack of Monistat. I was already not having a good day, right? Some neuron dedicated to self-preservation fired in his brain and he shut right up and stomped off. Quickly.
                              What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X