This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's so dishonest!

As some of you may recall I'm a writer. I got an assignment to write reviews for a company for a review website. That's right, the company wants me to write good reviews of their product for the site. In fact they hired 10 writers to write 10 reviews each for the site.

I don't use the product, or anything close so had to talk to people who use similar products to come up with things to say.

(I have to be vague.)

That's pretty awful on their part. Hopefully the product is actually worthwhile or else a lot of people are going to get fooled.

Comment

Review sites are SUPPOSED to be ordinary consumers letting people give feedback based on their OWN experiences. To pay someone to write a good review defeats the purpose. I hope the review sites find a way to catch "press releases disguised as reviews", then delete them - and post a PERMANENT warning that the manufacturer tried to boost its ratings by buying good reviews.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Review sites are SUPPOSED to be ordinary consumers letting people give feedback based on their OWN experiences. To pay someone to write a good review defeats the purpose. I hope the review sites find a way to catch "press releases disguised as reviews", then delete them - and post a PERMANENT warning that the manufacturer tried to boost its ratings by buying good reviews.
        Sadly a lot of reviews on blogs and websites are pay-to-review. I was reading this article only the other week about it. A quick Google gave me the following about Amazon.
        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

I generally assume that reviews on a product website should be taken with half a ton of salt or so. Just because it's so prevalent for sellers to put up 'glowing reviews' of their product in an effort to sell. If I want more trustworthy reviews, I go to other websites, like Amazon or consumer review sites.
          What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Ack, that sucks. I would say to document what they're making you do -- once you end up at another job (or even another firm that has you doing something similar in the future), you could slip a note to to the right person at the right place ...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Ack, that sucks. I would say to document what they're making you do -- once you end up at another job (or even another firm that has you doing something similar in the future), you could slip a note to to the right person at the right place ...
              I'm sure they must have had her sign a non-disclosure agreement. We don't want her breaking the law and opening herself up to a lawsuit.

Comment

Yup pat of my contract with my company was a non-disclosure. I can't say who ANY of my clients are. From the blogs I write, to the reviews, to the reports.

Comment

I was actually referring to an attorney, or an appropriate regulatory agency, if applicable. The former primarily to find out if doing the latter is allowed (a contract, or portion thereof, that violates the law is *generally* invalid...but check with a professional to see if it's legal or no)
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's fairly common indeed. I've seen job offers for this sort of thing a lot on eLance and other writing sites.

Generally I read the reviews and try to pick out those ones that sound like the person actually knows what they're talking about, but I also read every last negative review to figure out what went wrong with the product and if the company did/could do anything to solve it.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      I was actually referring to an attorney, or an appropriate regulatory agency, if applicable. The former primarily to find out if doing the latter is allowed (a contract, or portion thereof, that violates the law is *generally* invalid...but check with a professional to see if it's legal or no)
                      i would think that such reviews - even if they were lies - would be covered under the 1A. I mean if the company said "This product will give you x-ray vision" and it's not true then sure, that's illegal, but if a customer/reviewer says it... that could be allowable, cos it could be taken as sarcasm. (I'm thinking of some of the funny reviews we've seen Raps post *grin*)

The trick might be... not whether or not it's illegal, but whether or not it violates the TOS for the website the review goes up on.

For example - I *KNOW* PFB & M3C have both gotten hit by these. Often the "reviews" sound like advertisements, or it's a review for Company-We've-Never-Heard-Of before... and suddenly 5 or 6 people reply within a couple of hours, all with identical glowing compliments for the same company.

Only to end up deleted.

which brings up an interesting question... do they still get paid if the reviews get pulled for violating website TOS?

Comment

I just know I'm getting paid about $20 for the 500 words worth of reviews I did.

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                          It's fairly common indeed. I've seen job offers for this sort of thing a lot on eLance and other writing sites.

Generally I read the reviews and try to pick out those ones that sound like the person actually knows what they're talking about, but I also read every last negative review to figure out what went wrong with the product and if the company did/could do anything to solve it.
                          Yea, you have to read the negs quite carefully sometimes - I not infrequently find reviews where the person was trying to use a product well beyond it's intended limits, then getting annoyed when that doesn't work.
                          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I thoroughly read the negative reviews for my book. The second edition of it has some improvements based on those reviews (eg, more examples, and some additional subsections).

However, several of the negative reviews basically said 'this book isn't what I wanted it to be'. No, but it's what it says it is. Read the back cover, read the introductory chapter, read the 'about this book' section on websites (basically, the back cover info).

Or worse, 'I had to think for myself and actually learn stuff, the book didn't magically solve my problems for me'. Uh... my name isn't Hermione Granger.

Anyway: my experience as a product manufacturer (author!) is that some negative reviews are worthwhile, some are based on the customer expecting something other than what you offer; and some are just plain unreasonable.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                            X