No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers here in Newfoundland & Labrador are still low - 27 active cases right now. Shutting down everything clearly works, even though people bitched about it. Only stores carrying essential items were permitted to be open and they limited the number of people allowed in, and the customers had to wear masks. If they couldn't wear a mask they had the option of ordering their groceries on-line and arranging for delivery or curb-side pick up. Of course there were a few entitled people that tried to worm their way around it, but meh.

Comment

• We keep getting questions when we're going to re-open our lobby. Case numbers are going down, but the local popular drive-up restaurant (part of a chain famous for their rootbeer) had to close yesterday due to an outbreak of COVID cases, and they've been takeout only since the pandemic began. I don't think we'll be opening the lobby for a while yet.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Got my second shot today. Only reaction from the first one was an Alien busting out of my stomach, but I'm pretty well over that.

Outside of that, Our director mentioned that they are looking at opening the office back up some time in June, but it's all still pretty fluid. The county just announced that they discovered someone with the 'South African' variant of the virus in our county, so we will see if that ends up becoming a big deal or not.
        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

• Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
          Only reaction from the first one was an Alien busting out of my stomach, but I'm pretty well over that.
          Yeah, that's pretty standard. Nothing to worry about.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• "Oh no, not again...!" [thump]

Comment

• Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
              Got my second shot today. Only reaction from the first one was an Alien busting out of my stomach, but I'm pretty well over that.*snip*
              No psychic messages from Bill Gates ...?

Had a customer come through my line today wearing (as far as I could tell) two masks, goggles and a face shield.

I assure you I'm not complaining, but I was finding it hard not to stare.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Got my second poke yesterday. No symptoms then, but today I was all achy and lethargic, and had to call in a sick day at work.

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                  No psychic messages from Bill Gates ...?
                  Just "F*** Apple. Buy Microsoft. You love Windows - it never crashes. XBOX has always been a perfect series of machines with no hardware problems whatsoever. You don't think 'XBONE' jokes are funny." Nothing new, at any rate.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Since Mr. Zel's birthday is approaching so I've got to look for a gift, I took a nasal swab today - meaning I now have what we call the "CoronaPass" working for the next 3 days. Ah, shopping AND lunch at a restaurant - how I've missed it for the last 7 months
                    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

• Our outdoor mask mandate--as well as the fine which I didn't even know the state had--was lifted today. Still required in retail, restaurants, crowds, and public transit.

I think businesses should be allowed (required) to fine maskless SCs. There's a problem here with people not getting their second vaccine dose; a combination of a false sense of immunity, fear of side effects and possibly the lack of PTO to use if someone does wind up calling out sick. To combat this, I think we need financial incentives (pay people to get their second shot) as well as force employers to let employees take a paid sick day for side effects (this must not count against existing PTO). Since coworkers are starting to get their shots, I'm considering letting my manager know that I'm available to cover for any vaccine-induced sick calls.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Nobody paid me to get my second shot last week. Who do I go complain to?
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

• California does mandate up to 80 hours paid sick time for anything COVID-related (actual illness, quarantine, family member care, vaccination appointments/side effects, etc.) without use of PTO to cover.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Almost done with my waiting period after my second shot. I get to do my own shopping this week! Seriously, my BiL is great for doing the shopping for me, but there are some things (choice priorities, size preferences) I can't easily explain on an e-mailed shopping list. Looking forward to being able to browse and make my own choices.

Comment

• Getting my second short on tuesday. I'm expecting 3 days of feeling like garbage like when I got the first, but I still think it's worth is. My stress has been going down since the first shot and I know the peace of mind when I think of the second has really helped my mental state when I go out in public.

Comment

• Quoth Arcus View Post
                                I'm expecting 3 days of feeling like garbage like when I got the first,
                                Something else that might help your peace of mind: There are indications that if someone had a case (even asymptomatic) prior to the first shot, the actual first shot can act like the second for both side effects and immunity.

Comment

Working...
                                X