Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not a "muh freedum" thing

("Sighting" because it wasn't me.)

A friend of mine works at one of the big movie theater chains here in Desert Hell. (I think she should move on cuz it's obvious she hates it there, but whatever.) Last night, she had this wonderful interaction.

Sucktomer walked in without a mask on. Well, in general, that's fine, whatever, I'm pretty sure the mask mandate is over here... but wouldn't you know, the theater is private property, where they can, you know, make their own rules. One of those rules is "wear a mask you idiots." But no, the sucktomer refused. My friend offered him a disposable one and he took the "whose responsible this" route, to the point where I guess the manager had to step in and tell him no mask, no movie. He finally put the mask on, but while doing so he called the employees a bunch of sheep. Oh, and he had his son with him. I feel sorry for the kid.

<soapbox>
    Seriously, I just don't get the whole "mask vs muh freedum" thing. It's a mask, not shackles. Don't want to wear it? That's your right, but you won't be allowed in. I mean, I'm not a fan of wearing them, but I do wear them.
    </soapbox>

Personally, if I'd been in her situation, I would've pointed him at the door. Buh-bye, ijit.
    Last edited by Deserted; 04-07-2021, 05:18 PM. Reason: whoopsie, typo
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

A lot of that mentality seems to stem from the whole Wild West mentality of "You take care of yourself and don't worry yourself none over what I'm doing". It's very pervasive in AZ and I've seen a lot of it on NextDoor. Along with "If you're so scared then stay home". Never mind that if a lot of people stayed home like they want to they'd lose their homes.

But yeah that "You take care of you and I'll take care of me" doesn't really work when you wear a mask to protect other people.

(And yes, the Governor decided no local governments can have mask mandates anymore, but that's a whole other discussion.)

Comment

So I don't go to the movies anymore till this silliness is over and when they fold cause I don't go... too freaking bad.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I've been seeing movies since theaters re-opened in my area last August, and I haven't felt any anxiety whatsoever. The cinema is my church.

Comment

Yeah not me, I'm not setting foot in a theater for a good long time. I don't trust them to be clean. As for the "muh freedom" thing I'm so so so so so so sick of those people!
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

The last time I was in a theater was to see Maleficent in 2014. I prefer to wait until the DVD comes out. A DVD is usually cheaper than two theater tickets, I don't have to put up with other people talking on the cell phones, and I can pause the movie to go to the bathroom.

Not to mention I can watch it multiple times.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              I prefer to wait until the DVD comes out. A DVD is usually cheaper than two theater tickets, I don't have to put up with other people talking on the cell phones, and I can pause the movie to go to the bathroom.

Not to mention I can watch it multiple times.
              Agreed. Personally, I don't go to movies very often. I counted: 9 times as an adult, spread out over more than 25 years. (I can even name the movies.) I strongly prefer to watch at home, on my own schedule. It drives Mrs Deserted nuts, but I'm the kind of person who wants to spend his off time not dealing with people.

Most recently, I went to a theater with Mrs Deserted to see a special one-time-only thing showcasing the colorization of I Love Lucy, timed to fall on Lucille Ball's birthday (August 1 6) shortly before the pandemic wiped out humanity shut everything down. It was a short documentary covering how the colorization was done, followed by 3 or 4 episodes.
              Last edited by Deserted; 04-08-2021, 05:30 PM.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd

Comment

The idea of not seeing movies in a theater to akin to not BREATHING for me. The five+ months I had to go without last year were the worst of my life.

Comment

I would much rather see a movie at home than in a theater. TVs these days are big enough that you get very nearly the same waaaaay larger than life feeling, and at home I can have exactly whatever snacks and drinks I want (and cheaper, too!), and pause the movie for a bathroom break or rewind because "what? what'd they say? I couldn't hear it past all the explosions." or whatever. And comfortable seating! As a super special bonus, I don't have to deal with any people at all to watch a movie at home. This, to me, pretty much trumps any and all cons of watching a movie not in a theater all on its own. Ok, yes, that was my feeling even before covid came along, so not a lot has changed really. These days, I'd rather avoid people as much as I possibly can because I know there are huge numbers of idiots out there. Well, ok, it's still the same reason as before the pandemic, but I think you all get my point.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I do enjoy going to the movies, although I'm starting to agree with Kittish, especially since they decided that all the movies have to have the Volume Turned Up To Eleven. A fun time should not end in a pounding headache.

Now, live theater, I really miss that. It was nice to see Hamilton on Disney+, and there are other shows on DVD that you can borrow from the library, but it's not the same as seeing it live. Once everyone is vaccinated and life gets back to normal, I'd like to go back to the theater. Heck, I'd like to audition again!
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

XC There are several groups that are doing performances on Zoom or Skype or playreadings. It's not like live theatre but if you actually want to see people dressed up and performing and interacting even if they're in their own homes it's the best we can manage for the moment.
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Now, live theater, I really miss that... <snip> Once everyone is vaccinated and life gets back to normal, I'd like to go back to the theater.
                        There are many thousands of performers hoping to hear that attitude still exists. Hurrah!
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Mrs Deserted's aunt (or cousin or ) just retired from theater (teaching, perhaps? I'm not sure, but it was associated with a local community college) right at the start of the shutdown. Her very last play was canceled, which sucked, because Mrs Deserted had been looking forward to seeing her aunt/cousin/whatever on stage for the last time.

Comment

God, I would love to see my play performed, just once.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I miss the IMAX at the museum but not so much the local movie theater (@ 28.50 for a adult ticket it's not worth it anymore).

As far as the mask debate (we still have businesses that are allowed to mandate masks or not serve you here). I have two points.

1) Yes, you do can pull the freedom card. But freedom of choice does not mean freedom from consequences. You can chose to go without but the consequence is that some places may refuse you service.

2)If the employee can wear a mask for 8+hrs so can you. If my manager with stage three lung cancer who needs a O2 tank to breath with the nose thingies can wear a mask for sometimes up to 10hrs a day, then your perfectly healthy ass can too. Or here's an idea, if a mask is so hard wear a face shield. Asthma is not an excuse unless wearing a mask actually is what triggers an attack, I have friends and an uncle with severe asthma and they have no problems whatsoever.

The fact that during the 4th? 5th? Wave with the mask mandate back caused a damn newspaper article on how flooded doctors are with people wanting exception notes says something about humanity.
                              Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Working...
                              X