Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember when local newsagents used to sell 'singles' to schoolchildren - a cig, a match, and all wrapped up in a small piece of paper. They used to double their money.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth SpyOne View Post
      I liked it better when the law allowed some flexability on the part of clerks.
      The problem with this is the "ahhhhhh, c'mon... you let the other guy do it" along with it's less polite relatives. At least with this, you're bound and have no space for compromise to have one of these arguments start up.
      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
        The problem with this is the "ahhhhhh, c'mon... you let the other guy do it" along with it's less polite relatives. At least with this, you're bound and have no space for compromise to have one of these arguments start up.
        Agreed.

Same reason we set the store clock 5 minutes fast: it saves a lot of arguing when it comes time to cut-off beer sales.
        "Sorry, dude, you're too late."
        "Is it 12?"
        "It's, like, 5 after, see?"
        (Bars do this too: that's where I learned it.)

Comment

Oh dear lord do i HATE that shit! I worked in a gas station for about 9ish months and I consently was having to send kids away. If you even so much as looked like you might be under 30 Id ID them. Apparently I IDed the same people over and over again because I never remembered people (suppose it was just best that way). I was known as a bitch for it because I didn't want to pay a fine or go to fucking jail over some smokes or alcohol.

My husband runs the store I used to work at now and recently pulled some shifty stuff on a girl who decided to randomly buy for underage kids.

Kid came in to buy cigs and he asked for a ID, the boy could produce and as most people who are underage got pissed he wouldn't sell them to him and stormed off to the parking lot where he asked tons of people to buy them for him. Finally he got a girl to come in for him. My husband asked several times if she was buying for that kid and she said no but when she left he saw her go to hand the kid the cigs and went outside to tell her exactly how illegal that was and went back inside. So trying to be slick she pulls up to the next pump and the kids come and get the cigs while hes watching on his cameras.

The kids decided to be ashes and make fun of him and wave said cigs in his face threw the store window sooooooooooo to be a ass he got the ladies tags and them both on the cameras and calls the cops on them. Police said they could do much about the kids but scare the shit out of them and that they were going to track the girl down. ^_^

Best part was he wanted the police to tell the girl when they found her that he wouldn't have done what he did if the kids hadn't decided to be complete jerks about it afterwards. That she was getting fined or going to jail because of some punks she didn't even know. XD

Comment

My aunt called the cops on a gas station attendant that was selling cigarettes to grade schoolers on their bikes.

She would likely have let it go if the clerk hadn't given her a ration of attitude when she told her that it was illegal. The clerk acted like it wasn't any of my aunt's business and that nothing was going to happen to her just because she sold to some notably underage kids. The cops were pulling in as my aunt was pulling out.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Ducky Dew View Post
              I remember buying cigs for my folks at about age 10 as well, no one thought twice about it. I also remember buying my own at age 12 (yeah, I started young, too young) for the whopping price of 50 cents a pack.
              I remember going into a convenience store when I was 15 - 16 years old purchasing cigarettes and nobody said squat. Just handed me what I requested, took the money and cashed it into the drawer.

But that was back over 20 years ago . . . don't work that way now.

Come to think of it, I was carded for a box of wine at the Wallyworld about a couple of months ago . . . first time I've been asked for ID since . . . .

Would you believe I can't recall now? I must be practicing Old-Timers.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
              X