Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this "size" of which you speak?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
    In cases like this, just make her the largest one you have and hope to the Goddess she's lactose intolerant.
    Sorry, but making people lactose-intolerant is not one of my superpowers. But then I try to use them for good.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
      Oh! Size is relative! Ah-ha!
      Sorry, yes, relative would be more fitting here. But I'm still waiting for the elusive answer to the pizza question!
      Last edited by jayel; 09-03-2007, 02:18 AM.
      I HATE stupid people!

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
        Sorry, but making people lactose-intolerant is not one of my superpowers. But then I try to use them for good.
        I've tried using my superpowers for good. It never works out. The evil always sneaks in.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          I've tried using my superpowers for good. It never works out. The evil always sneaks in.
          That's why you concentrate on making things evil for those that deserve it.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Just, that's what I do. I'm quite good at it.
            Unseen but seeing
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I can understand confusion when it comes to shake size (drink size no, shake size yes)

Places that "hand" scoop, mix their shakes typically (as in not everywhere but for the most part) only come in one size . . . .
              Whereas places that use a shake machine tend to offer more options.
              So if you have grown up only getting shakes from the places where they only come in one size . . .so you have always said I would like a chocolate shake . . .it could throw you mentally for a moment when asked what size.

Comment

Quoth jayel View Post
                Sorry, yes, relative would be more fitting here. But I'm still waiting for the elusive answer to the pizza question!
                I've always wondered that myself. Sorry, I don't have an answer for you

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I dunno about the "starting at medium" thing, but I'd like an answer too, as I had a related incident at a McDonalds.

I'd asked for a large fries with my 10 nuggets, get my fries, and they are most definitely not a large. I talk with my cashier (who I later found to be the manager) and said "These aren't large fries."

"We don't have large. Only small, medium, and super-sized."

What followed next was an argument in semantics with me getting slightly sucky, but pointing out that if I'd asked for a size "They don't have" then she should have asked for clarification. But seriously, someone asks for large, and you give them medium, rather than the size above medium? *shakes head at the memory*
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    But seriously, someone asks for large, and you give them medium, rather than the size above medium? *shakes head at the memory*
                    If it makes sense, it's not allowed.™®©
                    Unseen but seeing
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      "We don't have large. Only small, medium, and super-sized."
                      That's just.... Words fail me. And that was a manager
                      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                        Regular implies it is the default size. But customers pretty much buy the sizes they want.
                        This even applies to electronics. Apparently, hard drives now come in Fast Food sizes. I ask people what size drive they're looking for, and I get, "Oh, just a regular hard drive." Then, inevitably, the middle range sizes are either FAR too small or FAR too large.

It's worse when they start asking for memory. "Just regular computer memory." Still need to know size and type, folks. There is no "regular" in computer components.

As to pizza sizes, I think many of the pizza places have smalls, but they don't put them on the menus because they're actually the child-size personal pizzas or something. That's a guess because we did have smalls where I worked in high school. I think part of it comes in the psychology of the words, too. Naturally, mediums are larger than smalls, and the prevailing attitude is that bigger is better. Ordering a 12" small is less appealing to most customers than ordering a 12" medium. That's why the owner of that pizza place changed his Shaved Ice sizes from "Baby, Small, Medium, and Large" to "Small, Medium, Large, and Jumbo."
                        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                        - IPF

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                          And charge them for a large!
                          No fair! You beat me to it!
                          "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                          ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Yeah, size is relative. Medium or Regular is the mid-range size option. Small is usually too little unless you're a kid or drink very little, and large is usually more soda than anyone should drink in one sitting. Then you've sometimes got sizes above that which should all be labeled as bladder-buster size.

Quoth jayel View Post
                            Sorry, yes, relative would be more fitting here.
                            ... speaking of size, and relatives, and things "fitting" ... yeah, I'll stop now.

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                            That's just.... Words fail me. And that was a manager
                            At McDonalds, mind you. While some very sharp cookies can be found working at McDonalds, my experience has been that if you aren't still a teenager or are guaranteed not to be able to find something better, they tend to be resistant to hiring you. I couldn't even get an interview while some of the people working at the one closest to my work are just >< this far from drooling, they're so slack-jawed.

As for the whole pizza question, I wish they'd just give the diameter. Screw all that subjective irregular sizing crap.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                            X