This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damned when you don't, Damned when you do

I've just completed the huge part of a three month project and now we're in the check it out, fix it up stage. This has been the project from hell for one main reason: the customer. She has given me hell more times than I can count for not doing what I never told to do, for doing what I was told to do... but she changed her mind and didn't tell me, and so on. This was one such case that simply blew me away.

Three weeks ago I'm in a meeting. One person asks me why I haven't put a cabinet in station X. I point out that the plans don't call for a cabinet there. Okay, everything is hunky dory here, simple mistake in the plan, simple correction to the problem. All is well, all is good until she decides to butt her fat ass into the conversation. With a rude "what is wrong with you idiot" tone and attitude, she needs a recap of the situation. Well I should know that every station is supposed to get a cabinet. The plans say no and I have strict orders to adhere to the plans 100%, unquestionably, undeniably, unequivocally, absolutely, with no exceptions whatsoever. The only exception to "no exceptions whatsoever" is when it's an "obvious" mistake/ommision like this. So having been torn a new one for a mistake that wasn't mine, I set out and correct their mistake.

Fast forward to today and another meeting. What do I get ripped into about?? You guessed it, the cabinet that I put into station X that shouldn't be there. Why did I put it there? It's not on the plans, it shouldn't have one. Why did I do that? This is of course with the same "what is wrong with you idiot" tone. I remind her of the previous meeting where she gave these instructions. She thinks for a moment, remembers this, ... and apologizes and offers to buy me a beer.... yeah right Nope, I'm still wrong. Even though she gave me instructions to put a cabinet in every station, this one was obviously too small so it shouldn't have gotten one, just like the plans say. It's also irrelevant that on top of the blanket instructions, I was also specifically told to put one there.

Aye carumba, the easy solution here would be to demand everything in writing. I'd love that but it won't work. This bitch (with apologies to bitches everywhere for including someone like this in your category) deflects blame at all turns, she hasn't made a mistake ever. There's always a screwup, there's always a scapegoat, and there's no way out because she won't give a paper trail to show where the blame truly lies. I could refuse to do anything without it, but that would only make me lose the work. So instead I get the joy of putting up with her, and having you fine people to vent to when I steam over.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

100%, unquestionably, undeniably, unequivocally, absolutely, with no exceptions whatsoever.
    indubitably!!

I don't suppose there's anyone above her you could discuss this with? I was gonna suggest get it in writing, but then I got to the last paragraph
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Writting

Demand all changes in writting with a signature.

If change does not have paperwork it does not exist. Stick to your guns and watch how fast she tries to avoid any paperwork that will bite he back.

If she can refuse paperwork and make it stick, bring in a small tape-recorder and place it in front of you, bet her mouth will move but no sound will come out.

Note, if she starts off with the idiot claim use that right back to state that is why you need the paper-work/tape-recorder. And RECORD, RECORD, RECORD then insist you will not change your methods period.

People like her depend of there being no record of their statements/demands to stay on top.

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
        unquestionably, undeniably, unequivocally, absolutely, with no exceptions
        Verily, the visciousness of this vexing vixen is verbalized vehemently on the verbiage of vindication.

I have little clue what I just said... But it kind of works... If it means what I think it means.
        Cue Inigo Montoya.
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Yeesh. This is why I keep imposing on our newbies that you should take notes about EVERYTHING. If the customer requests something, put it in the notes that they specifically requested it, so you don't get reamed. If someone approves something unusual, note who approved it, when and why, so you don't get reamed. The newbies then tell me they're trying not to "prattle on" in their notes---I don't care if my notes are long, I just want them to be complete!

I'm all for paperwork or a tape recorder. Seriously, just tell her that you won't do anything that isn't in the plans without a written and signed instruction/addendum to the plan, so that something like this does not happen again.
          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Dittos with what the others have said. This is called requirements creep, and it is a oft used tactic to get more value out of a contract. I have had to deal with this when working as a government contractor, and it will cut into your profit faster than almost anything. You have to put your foot down at some point to protect your business, as odd as it sounds.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Dittos with what the others have said. This is called requirements creep, and it is a oft used tactic to get more value out of a contract.
              Either she's testing you to see if you'll permit scope creep, or she's stupid. Either way, if you give in to her, you'll end up losing more than you'd lose if you just walked away from the contract.

Please, PLEASE, for your own sake, take this seriously. Keep a small BOUND notebook, of the sort that clearly shows when a page is ripped out. When she tells you to make a change, write it down (with a date) and get her to initial it. If she refuses even to initial it, take the issue to her boss.

If she doesn't want it in writing because she's lazy, this will solve it. If she doesn't want it in writing because she doesn't want to take responsibility, DON'T DO WHAT SHE SAYS. Because you WON'T get paid for it, and you WILL be asked to 'fix it'. Probably with a lot of trouble about what 'fixing it' entails. And you WILL lose money.

Edit to add:
              Make sure (in writing!) that she has the authority to make changes that will alter the cost of the project. If she doesn't, respond to any change requests that will alter the cost of the project with 'I need you to give me an authorisation for that. It'll change the price.' Be firm, or you won't get paid for the change and may be required to reverse it (which also costs money).
              Last edited by Seshat; 09-05-2007, 03:21 PM.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My fiance is a General Contractor/Foreman. ALWAYS get any changes to the original plan in writing. He gets between 3-5 sets of plans for any job upfront. The first copy is the 'markup' copy. This is his master copy. Any changes get noted, dated and initialed by him and the homeowner BEFORE any work is done in regards to the change. He also keeps a working copy in which he and only he marks the changes clearly for the workmen. There is also always one set of plans that remains untouched and pristine, because come the end of the project, the homeowner can never figure out how their 'add-ons' amount went through the roof. Every change costs the project money, and he makes sure that they don't get away with getting work for free. You decided you don't like the brass hardware you picked out, you want nickel instead? OK then that will be another $500.00, I can't return the old hardware, you can keep it, but you sure as hell are paying for it.
                The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Yup. I work for a sub-contractor. We don't do anything without approval from someone, and every fax, e-mail, phone message, etc. gets saved and filed.

And any phone convo where changes are requested are followed up by a fax/e-mail from us to sign the "change order" or a request to send us a change order.

Comment

I'm not in contracting but I'd think it would be common sense to get EVERYTHING (especially changes such as this) in writing and signed by the person and the contractor before anything is done.

Does it say in the contract with her that any changes must be made in writing? Then she must have everything in writing and if she doesn't SHE will be the one out money because you are following the contract, and nothing in writing will be accepted as a valid change.

I'd be very wary of someone not wanting to put any changes in writing.

Comment

This bitch (with apologies to bitches everywhere for including someone like this in your category) deflects blame at all turns, she hasn't made a mistake ever.
                      Well, I forgive you. Don't know about the rest.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Oh c'mon sunshine, I'd never put you in that category

Thanks for all the suggestions but it won't work for my situation. I'm an employee for a sub-contractor to the company. I can't go to her higher up because I don't work for her, I'm an absolute zero there, lower than the lowest of the nobodies. My boss could have some clout, but he's so scared of this woman and losing the contract that he happily chows down on whatever shit she's serving.

Rest assured, I'm in no danger here. Right after this incident and others like it my boss got a phone call letting him know what happened. I mentioned that I need to get things in writing and he told me he'll "look into it" but for now just do what she says.

Yeah, whatever. I really don't care, the only problem I have is putting up with her rants, something that I've managed to do for two years. If they keep up at this level and frequency, I quit. This isn't my dream job and there's dozens of other companies that I could work for without this torment. Until then, hey, keep making mistakes, mistakes take time, more time, more money... and if the money comes from my boss's pocket... dilligaf.
                        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Oh c'mon sunshine, I'd never put you in that category
                          I believe she was adding herself to your list. Like a monarch butterfly is brightly colored to warn of poison, Becky adds herself to lists...
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                          X