This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta admire his pluck

So, picture if you will, a veterinary hospital waiting room. Small, clean, a few clients waiting with pets. Picture myself (we will insert Milla Jovovich because she's hot), in plain clothes, standing next to the front door, chatting with a manager. To my left, about five feet away, propped up on a rack of dog food, is a battered old computer moniter. I'm getting some last minute information from the manager before I head out to put the thing in my car.

A customer walks in. He pauses. He looks at me. He looks over at the moniter. He looks back at me. He picks up the moniter and walks back out.

Manager and I share a puzzled look, then casually follow the guy outside to watch. I'm half expecting that some mysterious force had gripped him and commanded he put the thing in my car for me like a good little gentleman. But no, he's slowly walking away, across the parking lot to another car. He pops the trunk, puts in the moniter, gets into the car, and drives away.

We stand there staring off after him.

"Do you know him?" I ask.
    "He comes in occasionally with a cat," she replies.
    "He just stole my moniter."
    "I think you're right."
    "That was the moniter that imploded, right?"
    "Yep."
    "So, glorified paperweight?"
    "Not only that, there's something wrong with the wiring too. It short circuited our hard drive."
    "Good, good. Well, one less broken piece of heaviness to lug back to corporate for trashing. Have a good afternoon."
    "You too."

Oh... my...

That ... I just have no words. I'm at work, and had a very difficult time not ROFLing.

Thank you!

Comment

When it FUBAR's his computer, do you think he'll come back and complain?
      I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

If I didn't know the range of oddities that humans can possess, I would swear this was made up.
        "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
          When it FUBAR's his computer, do you think he'll come back and complain?
          Nah he'll just try to return it to WM or BB with no receipt claiming he just bought it a month ago. And he'll probably try to get someone to fix his broken PC as well.
          If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
          www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

That is just... I broke rule #1 with that one.
            And the sky was full of stars... and every star, an exploding ship, one of ours...

Comment

I had a similar thing happen to me, so I totally believe it could happen. I had an old 20" TV that I had been using. It was failing, and starting to make popping noises, even when it was turned off. As soon as I had $500 extra, I bought myself a new TV, and hauled the old one out to the dumpster. The next morning, before the garbage came, the TV was gone.

Somebody must have thought they scored, either that, or they had a TV that was even worse than that one. It had no remote, the front panel buttons were falling off, and as soon as they plugged it in, it would start making weird noises. I hope they enjoyed it.
              That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Heh that sounds like the neighborhood trash picker. Usually, around dinner time on Tuesday night (trash day is Wednesday), a guy in a beat-up green Chevy van will cruise the entire neighborhood looking for "bargains." Most of the stuff that gets thrown out on my block is truly crap. Yet, he'd still take it.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

That was beautiful! Thanks for a good laugh.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                    Heh that sounds like the neighborhood trash picker. Usually, around dinner time on Tuesday night (trash day is Wednesday), a guy in a beat-up green Chevy van will cruise the entire neighborhood looking for "bargains." Most of the stuff that gets thrown out on my block is truly crap. Yet, he'd still take it.
                    The town I used to live in had trash days, once a year. You could put whatever you didn't want out at the curb, and the town would haul it away. Some houses just had PILES of crap at the curb, and there were always people trolling up and down to see if there was anything good. Sometimes there was, but my landlady asked me to put her old BROKEN vacuum out, which I did. As I'm hauling it out, these two guys stop, and ask "does it work?" yeah, sure, go right ahead! I myself put out an old (dirty) carafe from a mr. coffee, and one of those vinyl covered shower caddies, where the vinyl was cracked and the metal rusted underneath. NExt day, ALL of it was gone...i mean if you're too cheap to buy things like that, knock yourself out...I could see if they were new or in good condition, but they were crap!

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      Most of the stuff that gets thrown out on my block is truly crap. Yet, he'd still take it.
                      Never underestimate the value of "trash."

Some of my favorite eBay sales were dumpster dive 'presents.' Some were so good I didn't bother putting them on eBay and kept them for myself.

I 'found' a 36" TV in the trash at my apartment building. It's outward appearance was perfect so I thought "what the hell, if I can't fix it cheap I'll just put it back in the trash." (I will try to fix anything)

As it turns out, someone, probably the 3 year old on the 3rd floor, turned the color, tint and verticle and horizontal controls that were hidden in a panel on the front bottom of the set. I've been using that set for almost 3 years now without a glitch.
                      This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

The new place I'm moving to has bulk trash pick up quarterly. The lady we are buying from says all the scavengers are out in full force those nights.

But to walk into a building and just walk off with something? How odd. Maybe someone earlier told him he could have it? I've never seen or heard of anything like that before.

Comment

I don't buy toner cartridges for my laser printer.

I'm regulrarly going to garage sales for books. I frequently see laser printers there for $10.00. I pull the toner cartridge, give it a shake and if it is half filled or more I buy it. When my current printer runs out I throw it away and replace it with one from a garage sale.
                          Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

DUmpster diving at the local private university is always a great time to find things. Since the school is so expensive, a number of students there are from extermely rich families. When they leave at the end of the school year, it's amazing what they will leave. Functioning laptops and desktops, working tvs, whatever. It's a great time to root through and see what you get.

Comment

Quoth Hobgoblin View Post
                              DUmpster diving at the local private university is always a great time to find things. Since the school is so expensive, a number of students there are from extermely rich families. When they leave at the end of the school year, it's amazing what they will leave. Functioning laptops and desktops, working tvs, whatever. It's a great time to root through and see what you get.
                              Let us know when you list everything on eBay.
                              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                              HR believes the first person in the door
                              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                              Document everything
                              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                              X