This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professor Pisses me off.

I'm putting this here because school is my work and I don't want this showing up on google maybe if I were to put it in sightings. I am copy and pasting this from an email I sent my sister.

My sister told me it was a little confusing so I'm going to reword a little.
    R: Professor
    N: student
    B: woman who works in administration at the school

I have a teacher (R) that a lot of people have problems with, and I can see why, he never stays on topic and will talk over and interrupt you and go all over the place on topics. I think he is trying to get us to think more but comes of as a bit pompous. It's hard to describe but you don't really need to know him to understand the next part.

Ok so R pissed me off but not with what he did to me but what he did to N. Previously when I was talking to R one on one R tried to encourage me to come to another class with him that was a higher year discussion group. This’ll be important later.

So after class I had been talking to this one guy (N) who misunderstood the assignment because all other courses will hand out a bunch of questions in their assignments and only require the students to do one of them, so therefore N only did one of the three. N was trying to get an answer on whether or not he could redo the assignment. R doesn’t really answer the question and eventually says to talk to someone (B) at the school about it. He then asks where B's office is and R starts talking about how N should make friends to find out where it is and that this is the best way to find things out, N talks about how N has trouble making friends and later mentions he has some form of aspergers (we didn't get specific).

R does not answer the question and instead encourages us (me and N to walk with him), and says he is headed towards B's office now. So we do walk with him because every time I mention going somewhere else he keeps repeating for me to walk with him, and when I keep saying I have things to take care of he says that I am choosing not to walk with them and it is disappointing. Anyways R leads us to R's Office and shows us his office (lots and lots of books) all the while dodging the questions about the assignment with N getting upset visibly and repeatedly asking point blank about the assignment. I began asking the questions as well hoping to steer R towards maybe answering the questions. After going around in circles back to the bridge above the bookstore about three times, N is either extremely upset and frustrated or feeling ill says he has to go and leaves. At this point while discussing a few different things I do stop and point blank tell R that he basically disproved his point about how making friends is the best way to get information from people because basically you just wasted N's (and mine) time and did not answer his questions, I was direct and did not let R interrupt me for once explaining now that most likely that N may go home and be ill due to his syndrome. This did not bother R and he acted like he was well aware of the results of his action.

After this we walked over to Ottonabee College where R did in fact introduce me to B and then tried to convince me to join his discussion group for his other class that was occurring right then (I said it would be relevant). So basically his entire walk with me speech is his attempt to get me to join his other class and this took at least 45 minutes of my time.

I spoke to another teacher and asked who I should talk to if I wanted to report a teacher’s conduct, I described the situation without naming names but he knew who I was talking about most likely and he gave me the chair of the department’s email.

I have since spoken to my family for advice and basically I am going to wait for the next class in two weeks and talk to N and see is he wants to report him as if N does have aspergers (which based on what I saw I think he does) me butting in may only make the situation worse for him.
    Last edited by gremcint; 02-09-2010, 02:59 AM.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

It looks like he was trying some sort of 'amateur' treatment without knowing the right way/therapies for Asperger's. From my quick look on Wiki, it looks like a treatment for social interaction should be way different.

Comment

People with Aspberger's Syndrome (Aspie's) have a hard time understanding social cues. Aspies don't always understand how to interact socially with others, and often seem odd.

However, I don't think misunderstanding social cues was N's problem here. His problem is R really wasn't interested in solving N's problem. R could have made the decision as to whether or not to allow N to redo the assignment. I would have looked at the directions: if the directions were not clear, then I would err on the part of the student and allow a redo. If they were clear, then the student is out of luck.

R really didn't care one way or the other. He wanted to get you into his discussion group, and used N's confusion to his advantage when he saw you were interested in helping N get the answer he needed. B really had nothing to do with this situation: academic classroom decisions are not made by administrators.

If N had an issue with Aspberger's, it was in not recognizing he was being manipulated.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
        B really had nothing to do with this situation: academic classroom decisions are not made by administrators.
        Quoted for truth! How in the HECK would B be able to answer questions about an assignment made by R?? That would be like me sending my students to the Admissions office for a lesson on fractions!
        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I think you should report the professor. He wasted your time and manipulated N without giving him any help. I've had enough bad professors that I'm not willing to let that sort of thing slide anymore.

Comment

Working...
          X