This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride to work then a ride home?

My brother's job said yesterday that they could give him a ride to work in the blizzard. That's nice BUT would they give him a ride home too? NOPE!! So he just called off.
    Stands to reason that if an employer is willing to pick you up to go to work then they ought to have the decency to take you home after your shift ends & not leave you stranded there!
    Does that make sense to anybody else?

YES!

What's the point of getting to work if you can't get home again?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

At my business, they'd probably ask me (and have, and I've agreed to) spend the night at work. Then again, this is a motel, and I have about 90 beds I can choose to sleep in.

But yeah, if they want to bring him into work, they're gonna need to arrange for transportation on the way back. I've brought CWs into work, and I always made sure they had a ride back, even if it meant I had to come back to work after my shift to pick them up.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

well working in a motel and spending the night ain't so bad

Spending the night at this job would suck...admittedly we have a bunch of hotels/motels around but I don't have the money to pay for them.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

How'd they expect him to get home?

Walk, or spend the night there?

Comment

My mom's hospital does that in case of weather emergency (pretty much only snow). They have limited volunteers to pick people up and once you come in you're expected to stay until the roads are passable again. They also give you shifts the whole time (for some good money) and you have a bed/showers/food.

Of course, there is a huge difference between essential patient care people at a hospital and other workers whose stores should probably be closed anyways. Like, my friend who does heavily advertised tech stuff for the store with the yellow pricetag and was told to go to work even though only emergency vehicles were allowed on the road.

Comment

This is a pet peeve of mine, b/c this is not somthing they actually TELL people. Theyll pick you up, but going home is a no no. And when you ask, they kinda look @ you like "why would you want to go home?!".

Comment

better yet... if they forced him to stay there
                would he get overtime?

or would they just tell him "ok you're off now, but since you're still here we'll put you to work"

Comment

One night it was snowing a few inches (certainly a pain but nothing impassable), and in a different department at work, someone who lives in town (probably just a mile or two or three from the factory) called in. The supervisor actually drove to her house to go get her.

If only my former boss did that to everyone who lived just miles away who called in every time there was a flurry in the sky.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Because I live less than 5 minutes away from the swamp, I'm really not allowed to call out due to weather.

I mean, if people who live out in the sticks are making it in, I really have no excuse.

Not that management would get on my case if I did call in, but I'd hear all about it from co-workers.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      Because I live less than 5 minutes away from the swamp, I'm really not allowed to call out due to weather. I mean, if people who live out in the sticks are making it in, I really have no excuse. Not that management would get on my case if I did call in, but I'd hear all about it from co-workers.
                      Me too. I could walk if need be.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

We had a day where a lot of the engineers couldn't make it in, because both highways out of town were closed (at least in the morning, at which point you might as well telework anyhow). One guy was mocking the EIT (Engineer in Training, what you're called when you graduate but don't have your P.Eng yet) for not making it in, he made it in from [city in the same direction but twice as far away]. I'm still not sure if he made it in legally or not...

Comment

Working...
                        X