Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dont try to design computer systems for idiots...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont try to design computer systems for idiots...

This here is my first post, so be nice.

When I was at college, I had to program a computer system of my own choice for my computer science coursework. I decided on a revision aid for my mum's class (shes a teacher).

I managed to get most of the design spec out of her, but kept finding incredibly unhelpful answers on my questionnaire, for example:

Q. Would you like test results to be displayed on the student's screen, on your screen, printed out, or a combination of the above?
    A. Combination of the above.

WHICH COMBINATION??

Gurgh...

When I finally managed to get it out of her that she wanted them displayed on her screen, and on the student's screens, i asked her whether she used the same computer every lesson, and whether she could find the IP address of that computer, in order for me to be able to send the information across the network.

She said that yes, she did use the same computer, but didnt know how to get the IP address. So I wrote down the instructions for finding it.

She went straight to her laptop and started finding the IP address.

I said "So do they have a wireless connection at your school or something?"

"Oh, of course not, its only a primary school!" she replied

"...So is your laptop actually connected the network at school...?"

"Noooo...Is that a problem?"

...*looks incredulous*

*turns into one of my old proffessors*
    Quoth Tufty View Post
    Q. Would you like test results to be displayed on the student's screen, on your screen, printed out, or a combination of the above?
    A. Combination of the above.

WHICH COMBINATION??

Gurgh...
    What we have here is a lesson in HCI/Human Psychology. You asked her a multiple choice question, she gave one of the answers you provided her. Your question did not ask her which combination she would like, just if she would want a combination. So her assumption is probably that you are going to ask her at a future time what combination she wants. In cases like this, it's best to list the possible outputs and have her check off the ones she wants.

"...So is your laptop actually connected the network at school...?"

"Noooo...Is that a problem?"

...*looks incredulous*
    Not entirely her fault. She doesn't know how computers work. She probably has no idea what an IP address is. Going by your description, you asked her for the IP adress so that you could connect to it over the network. Again, the assumption is probably that it will be connected at a later time.

Consider this a learning experience. When dealing with people that are unsure of what they are talking about, you need to be as explicit as possible. If you give somebody directions, they're going to assume you know what you are talking about and follow the directions, almost to the letter (not in all cases, but in many cases). Even if something doesn't quite make sense to them.

She's not an idiot, she's just ignorant of everything going on. She has an entirely different view of things than you do, and you have to try to put yourself in the way she views it. It's not a case of common knowledge, like asking whether or not the monitor needs to be plugged in. It's a case of her not knowing the exact process and innerworkings of things.

(Can you tell I did a lot of work on requirements docs and user guides at one point?)
    Last edited by trunks2k; 12-06-2006, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I forgot to mention, she used to be head of ICT at a school, and also worked for some time on a computer tech support line.

I probably was more detailed about it at the time, and i did explain IP addresses and networks to her.

I just couldnt be bothered to remember and write it all down.

Comment

At the uni, we use a program to verify that students have all the necessary Windows and AV updates. When we have to add a new thing for them (i.e. Windows Updates turned on), the Server Admin and I would labor for DAYS trying to figure the best phrasing so the stupid kiddies would understand.

Oh, stupid us, we were planning on them actually reading it.

"The "Go to Link" button, should I click that?" HU. I WONDER!!

Jenni, the techie who's kiddies are going through finals week.
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Am I a bad human being for seeing the thread title and thinking, "But they already made the iMac?"
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            Am I a bad human being for seeing the thread title and thinking, "But they already made the iMac?"
            No worries, I thought the same thing
            At least Adam and Steve don't have to worry about leaving the toilet seat up

Comment

Working...
            X