This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Stupid Cake" award winner!

Normally, I'd wait until tonight or tomorrow to post today's current crop of stories, so I don't congest the board with a bunch of seperate posts, but this just can't wait. I think I've officially spoken to the stupidest customer alive.

SW: The lovely Ms. Sucky Customer
    ME: The tragic heroine

The call starts out fairly dull. Customer wants to know about her contract because she dropped her phone and broke it and wants to upgrade. She had a Motorola V3 (that's the RAZR, I just hate Motorola's cheezy little nicknames they've been using for the last few years) and is interested in the Motorola K1 (the KRZR, the V3's skinny cousin). Gave her the price with contract, went over the improved features, and she hits me with a question that stopped me dead in my tracks.

SW: The only thing I really hated about the RAZR is the little plastic cover on the screens. They don't protect the screens very well and they get smudges underneath and a little dust. Does the KRZR have those as well? Because I really don't like messing with them.
    ME: The plastic...covers?
    SW: Yeah, those little square plastic covers. They're stuck on with some kind of adhesive, so every few days I have to peel them off, wipe the screens clean, then stick them back on.
    ME: You mean...the little plastic film...that was on the phone...when you got it?
    SW: Yeah. I don't know why they have to be on there in the first place. They're terrible.
    ME: Uh... *clears throat, trying not to laugh.* Please... *voice quivering, body convulsing* please hold and I'll... see if... *oh please don't let me giggle, it'll all be over* see if that feature is on the KRZR.
    SW: Sure!
    ME:
    SUP: What? What happened?
    ME, tears rolling down my cheeks, gasping for breath: This woman...still using...screen covers...had the phone for a year...how do they even still stick?
    SUP: Are you serious?
    ME: Why would anyone make that up? How do I explain this to her without accusing her of being an idiot?
    SUP: You're on your own on this one. I did that on one of my phones once, for like a month. I'm just glad I'm not the only one.
    ME, deep breath, composure regained: Okay, as it turns out, the KRZR does have the plastic covers on the screen. But, the nice thing is, you don't have to use them. They're...optional features.
    SW: They're optional? Do I have to use them on the RAZR?
    ME: Well...you can, if you choose to. The, uh, screen on the KRZR is made of a more durable plastic, so, you uh, don't have to use them at all. And if the screens get smudged, they'll wipe clean with a dry tissue.
    SW: Oh, that sounds great!

So she ordered it and there was much rejoicing. I think the instructions in the box tell you to discard the plastic films. How in the world the adhesive still held up after 14 months, and why it never occurred to her to just throw them away so she could clean the LCD directly are mysteries we'll never know.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
    How in the world the adhesive still held up after 14 months, and why it never occurred to her to just throw them away so she could clean the LCD directly are mysteries we'll never know.
    There's no adhesive. They use static cling stuff.

Comment

You must have amazing willpower Kara, to keep from bursting out laughing until you put the customer on hold. If it were me, I seriously doubt that I'd be able to hold it in until then.
      my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
      it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

I'll admit to leaving the plastic on for inordinate amounts of time, but I do it intentionally to prevent scratching, I know it's there, and likely it will fall off after about a month or so, but it's helps keep the new phone new.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Reminds me of the story about the person who returned a microwave because it was supposed to be silver and it was blue...turned out to be the blue plastic wrap to protect it until you take it out of the box...

I thought the RAZR was already skinny...how skinny can they get? Poor anorexic phones these days...
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

That was freakin' hilarious.
            I needed a laugh today. Thanks.

Reminds me of the lady who brought the alarm clock back because the digits were all messed up.
            We peeled back the protective plastic with the fake display digits, and wouldn't you know...the clock was fine.
            The lady was a little

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            Reminds me of the story about the person who returned a microwave because it was supposed to be silver and it was blue...turned out to be the blue plastic wrap to protect it until you take it out of the box...
            Yeah, I remember reading that on another site somewhere.
            http://www.retail-sucks.com/modules....rder=0&thold=0
            Last edited by Ree; 04-17-2007, 10:56 PM.
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post

We peeled back the protective plastic with the fake display digits, and wouldn't you know...the clock was fine.
              That's like my Circuit City days when we would have irate customers come in screaming because the new ink cartridges they bought were "bad." I wouldn't even say a word. I'd take the cartridge, peel the sticker off the end, hand it back to them, flash a smile and bat my eyes, then turn around and walk away.

I guess I can kind of see keeping the sticker on to protect the screen, but it's pretty flimsy. Anything that will scratch the label will go right through to scracth the LCD. The absurdity was that she was complaining of having to remove the sticker to clean it every time.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              I thought the RAZR was already skinny...how skinny can they get? Poor anorexic phones these days...
              True, it's slim thickness-wise. But it's kind of wide because they made the keys so big. The K1 is thin in depth as well as width.

Here's a visual:

http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/motokrzr/
              Last edited by Kara; 04-17-2007, 11:08 PM.
              "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                Yeah, I remember reading that on another site somewhere.
                http://www.retail-sucks.com/modules....rder=0&thold=0
                Actually, wasn't it the same story here?

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...2813#post22813
                Last edited by Luna; 04-17-2007, 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling
                If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Quoth Luna View Post
                  Actually, wasn't it the same story here?
                  Whoops!!!
                  My bad.

The versions are quite different, though. Does this happen a lot, or should we be worried?

*EDIT - Never mind. My bad. After reading your link, and comparing it to mine, I was worried that someone stole repsac's story, and changed some of the details a bit to hide that fact, but I went back, and I see now that he mentioned he was the one who wrote both versions.
                  Sorry.
                  That's what reading on only a couple of hours of sleep does to a person.
                  Last edited by Ree; 04-17-2007, 11:30 PM.
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

*snicker* The sad thing is, I've done this. When I first got a cell I rarely used it, barely even looked at it. About a year after I bought it, the screen film fell off. I thought "Oops, wonder if that's important... oh well, I'll just live without it."

Comment

It has taken me forever to convince my husband it is 'OK' to take the plastic film off of our various purchases, not only is it 'OK' it is probably a really good idea.
                      Tamezin

Comment

I left mine on until it fell off but didn't realize there was one on the camera lens till much later...I obviously took lots of pictures with my camera phone. LOL
                        "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

Working...
                        X