Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you think it was a pie? Jackass. (Long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you think it was a pie? Jackass. (Long)

This will be long and rambly like my posts inevitably end up being, so please bear with it. K' thanks.

This story takes place ages ago in another lifetime, or so I try to convince myself. A time when I worked in a little video game store owned by a former friend. I was surrounded by games, and could even play my games and used games when no customers were around, I got to meet lots of fellow video game fans, and even made a few friends..... but the good memories are always fogged out by the horror of SC's coming out the yin-yang.

Usually I generally repress these memories, but this one has come zooming back, so here I am to share it.

I shall call this SC Pie Man, why? It will be evident soon. Now for the background. He had come to return a used game that was not working, an NBA 2002 game (blech, sports games) that he had brought a week ago (during which time he seemed like a normal and rational human being). Now, when we get a used game....
    1.) I check it out visually and on our in store systems...
    2.) This one was in pristine condition because....
    3.) This one had come from a very reliable customer, one who, like me, treats games like they are his children, children he adopts then returns to get others...... but anywho....

PM: = The lying, defiling, nasty *insert strongest expletive you know here* SC. BOOOO!!!
    Me: = The ever lovable, overly verbose, rambling big mouth, and gaming guru Velfarre2001. YAYAYAY!!!
    FM: = Far too lenient and accommodating at that time former friend and boss. GRRRRRRR.......

Door opens, chimes ring, heralding the end (of a so far pleasant day).
    Me: Good afterno....
    PM: WHY THE HELL DID YOU SELL ME CRAP LIKE THIS?
    Ooooh, Strike #1 already, yelling at me off the bat, this will certainly be a winner.
    Me: What seems to be the problem? (That you could not describe to me like a sensible human being? Jackass.)
    PM: THIS GAME YOU SOLD ME IS BROKEN!!!
    (Uh-huh, a game I PERSONALLY checked when it came in and checked AGAIN while YOU were there watching no less, is not working, 10 to 1 it either is your system, not the game, or you had leprechauns Ice Skating across it). Of course when I thought this I had no clue just how wrong I actually was.....
    Me: Here, let me see the game please.

Buttmunch shoves the case at me hard (Ooopsie, Strike #2, physical misconduct) and I nearly have a heart attack at the desecration, (I don't like sports games, but it is still a video game and thus sacred to me, making this a tenative strike #3, but I know not everyone takes games as seriously as me and accidents happen, so I let it slide). It has a chunk broken out looking EXACTLY like a pie with a slice removed.... kind of jagged, but VERY impressive, kind of like Pac-Man...... only blue.
    Me: Sir, what exactly happened to the game? (Like I didn't know what was coming next, now, say it altogether with me.....)
    PM : IT WAS LIKE THAT WHEN I OPENED IT! (Rrrriiiiiigggghhhhttttt, tell me another one, like the sun is a giant orange, you have an I.Q. rating not in the negative, or that Britney Spears has real breasts.) *Sorry, couldn't help sneaking in that last one* Of course I personally can't really call him on the week delay (I am very bad, or very good, depending on how you slice it, at procrastination myself....

Anywho.... Strikes #3 and #4, outright lying AND insulting my memory and intelligence, unfortunately in this game, I can't say YOU'RE OUT..... and then proceed to crack your skull with a baseball bat for managing to get more then 3 strikes..... oh well, we can't always get what we want. I guess...... *shrug*

Me: Please don't lie to me sir, I know we don't accept games in this condition and I know we checked it out together before you bought it. (Sorry, but just because I am in retail, I am NOT an idiot, please don't try again)
    PM: DON'T LIE TO ME YOU ***** (Strikes #5, #6, & 7 simultaneously, NICE! Potty mouth AND calling ME a liar, which equals hypocrisy), I DEMAND YOU GIVE ME THE NEWEST ONE (2003) AND REFUND MY MONEY YOU *****!!! (Strike #8, unreasonable demands on a level I would not give EVEN if you WERE right, which you SO are not)
    Me: I am sorry sir, but I will not refund the game, you obviously broke it, so you can keep it. (Managed to keep my cool all the way up to this point, GO ME!)
    PM: DO IT NOW YOU ******** OR I'LL KICK YOUR ASS!!! (Strike #9, threaten serious physical violence, and now I'll make strike #10 the game desecration, I'm letting nothing slide now you *******). By this point I had the phone out ready to call the police, which I had informed him I was doing (and also ready to slit his throat with the broken disc, which I did not inform him of), when who comes in but FM (Timing and then some huh?).

FM: What is problem here. (I explain the situation, guy swears and rants some more, I tell FM I'm calling the cops if he does not leave, he says hold on).
    FM: I give you new game, you leave and don't come back.
    PM: THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!! I ALSO WANT A REFUND!!!
    By this point I have lost it, and I did a few things I should have regretted doing, but didn't. (But I didn't get to do as much as I wanted to, probably a good thing in retrospect).
    (After throwing the game at him, I know, I know, not smart, not the best way I could have handled it, but..... meh)
    Me:THAT IS WWWAAAYYY MORE THEN YOU DESERVE DAMN IT, SO I SUGGEST YOU TAKE THE GAME AND GET THE **** OUT OF THIS STORE BEFORE THE COPS ARRIVE TO A HOMICIDE YOU *******

I must have been REALLY angry, because even though I am a pretty big guy, I'm usually not very intimidating, (probably the baby face). He took the game and bolted, I chewed FM out for a few minutes and took a long breather to calm down. I liked that he left, and was feeling good about scaring the life out of him, but he got a free ***** game out of it after all that BS........ *sigh*, very bittersweet, accent on the bitter.

At least he seemed to take the hint and never darkened the doors again, at least when I was on duty. So that is something I guess..... Still, it is not the same as his corpse strewn on the sidewalk by my own hand.
    Last edited by Velfarre2001; 04-18-2007, 06:19 AM. Reason: Clarifying & minor errors.
    "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
    James from Pokémon.

Wow great story. You handled it really well, I would have lost it by about strike 2! You should have just called the police right away when he threatened you, that would have scared him something silly.

Comment

Take that, pie boy

Quoth Velfarre2001 View Post
      So that is something I guess..... Still, it is not the same as his corpse strewn on the sidewalk by my own hand.
      This made me laugh so much.
      ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
      Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Damn dude!

freaking spinless managers and totally asshole customers.

Makes you wonder why more people don't go homicidal.

M
        I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Wow I wish you had a picture of this b/c I'm totally not getting it..... but how weird........

Wow he was really asking for it though, wasn't he? Very funny story

Comment

You handled the situation really will. Wish I could say the same for your total spineless manager.

Comment

I'm just wondering... how he managed to break a piece out of the game? I'm guessing it's in disc format.

Comment

I asked myself how he did it too. I have seen games seriously cracked (the blasphemy!), and even cracked clean in half (BURN THE HERETIC!!), but this one..... I never saw the like again, I was thinking it was purposeful, part of a scheme to get a free game upgrade, because I had trouble fathoming any other way that would have happened........ but it would be SO much easier just to crack it in that case.... but then again SC's are not known for common sense, so I honestly have no clue what happened...... part of me was afraid to know to be honest......

If I had to hazard a guess though....... part of the game got caught under something decently weighty that was in the general triangular shape, then he tried pulling the game out without lifting said thing, thus cracking a section off, but even that should NOT crack an exact chunk off, but snap it...... but the near perfection of the shape of the break was stunning, he probably would have to lift up while holding either side of where it was held down and pull up..... and the fact that is SSSOOOOO dumb to do on accident, I don't want to consider ANYONE would treat a game, or anything they own, like that no matter the negatives of their I.Q. points.......... Upon considering it.... maybe both, maybe that was how he decided crack it in the first place for the refund..... but again FAR easier ways to break a game...... Enough, I'm giving myself a brain cramp trying to understand it..... must be why I gave up on it before... but now I can't help trying to figure it out... ARGH! I'll just go with my guess and say that it was purposeful, and hope it stops nagging my now aroused for some reason curiosity....

As for how I kept my cool, I had LOTS of practice at that growing up, but since this is Customers Suck! and not Dr. Phil online, I'll keep my childhood trials and tribulations for another time. Basically I like to keep my cool as long as humanly possible, and until I got into retail, I was convinced NOTHING could rile me anymore..... funny how quick I was disabused of that notion.

Nowadays I am even less easy to rile, but back then it still took quite a lot. As for what would have happened if FM didn't show up, I would have called the cops, and he probably would have stood there like an obstinate jackass till they came, yelling at me and continuing to threaten me. Calling the cops seems to be a catalyst, almost like a DARE to play chicken with you. At least the few times I actually had to.

Leaving when the cops are coming for you? That IS common sense you know. And we all know how SC's are for that particular trait.... of course if he HAD gotten physical.... well..... no clue...... probably for the best I did not find out.
                Last edited by Velfarre2001; 04-19-2007, 11:25 AM. Reason: Clarity
                James from Pokémon.

Comment

Even though I knew it was coming, I was so disappointed when your boss walked in and pulled that expletive deleted. I'm sure I would've loved the story if your boss hadn't interrupted it

Maybe he managed it by actually putting it on a table somewhere, forgetting about it, putting a pie/pizza on top of it to be cut, and going all the way through? I can't think of any other way a pie-slice could've been broken out of it... unless there was an accident with a wheel running over it and it broke in a freakish way. Discs nearly always break equator-style
                  Re: Quiche.
                  Pie is manly.
                  Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
                  Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
                  So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

Quoth Velfarre2001 View Post
                    a very reliable customer, one who, like me, treats games like they are his children, children he adopts then returns to get others...

you mean... they're not my children?

ha ha ha! you'll be telling me next that my dvd's don't appreciate a good bedtime story every night!

Comment

Quoth BusyBee View Post

Maybe he managed it by actually putting it on a table somewhere, forgetting about it, putting a pie/pizza on top of it to be cut, and going all the way through? I can't think of any other way a pie-slice could've been broken out of it... unless there was an accident with a wheel running over it and it broke in a freakish way. Discs nearly always break equator-style
                      Exactly why I was so confused, I have never seen a game break like that, before, then, or since.... and even though I did consider maybe he cut it with something..... since the edge was slightly jagged, not a lot, but enough that it was not the completely clean and neat edge I'd expect to see from a cut......... I kind of put that theory slight down there in the consideration pile.

Quoth pookalamouche View Post
                      you mean... they're not my children?

ha ha ha! you'll be telling me next that my dvd's don't appreciate a good bedtime story every night!
                      Hmmmmm........ and I thought I was obsessive over my games........ I bow to you.... I am guessing ma'am from your bar wench title, for showing me a new level of obsession, hopefully you have a proper guardian lined up for when the nice men in the white coats eventually come to take you to visit the happy place, so your babies wont be too lonely.
                      Last edited by Velfarre2001; 04-19-2007, 07:44 PM.
                      James from Pokémon.

Comment

Working...
                      X