Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

File this under the "sucks to be him" listing....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File this under the "sucks to be him" listing....

So, I am waiting for a call and one comes in on the wireless support line. The wireless support line is the dept where people call for support on wireless networks we set up within the past 30 days. Our company gives a 30 day warranty on the work done and if there is an issue we do a bit of troubleshooting and if that fails we transfer to the scheduling dept to have the onsite tech come back out. If the person had an onsite job by us done within 30 days it gets automatically routed to this dept, no matter what it was so you can imaging how many calls are misdirects....

If you are familiar with Linksys routers most of them have a yellow button on the front of the router that makes it do an infinite search for Linksys wireless cards in the area. Problem is, once this button is hit the router becomes useless and needs to be completely reset. Our company has a policy that once this yellow button is pressed, or if the reset button is pressed the 30 day warranty is void and a new service call needs to be started if you want it re-set up again. We tell people the first time we come to their house that both buttons are "do not touch" so why should we send someone out for free if THEY blew out all the settings?

Anyway, this gentleman was explaining to me what happened to his network. His network was set up 5 days ago and was working perfectly, and his idiot son comes home from college and instead of taking 5 seconds out and look for the security key for the network, he does, you guessed it - hit the yellow button. I politely inform him he needs to pay for a new service call and of course I get the crap that he shouldn't have to pay in the basis his son didn't realize it would screw up the entire network. Well after a few minutes of this a-hole arguing, he finally tells me he will "try it himself." So I read my closing line he tells me this, "So you're basically going to refuse to help me huh?" I told him it wasn't the case but I also told him in a nice way that policy is policy and just because his son's a moron doesn't mean he's going to get someone out for free. I again read my closing lines and he says "BYE!" and hangs up.

On a side note, I HATE it when a client says stuff like "So you're basically going to refuse to help me huh?" Because even though I was following procedure, our dept's quality manager is a fat, nitpicky b*tch would lower my evaluation scores if the call was audited because "the customer did not leave happy." Whatever.

Quoth sld72382 View Post
    On a side note, I HATE it when a client says stuff like "So you're basically going to refuse to help me huh?" Because even though I was following procedure, our dept's quality manager is a fat, nitpicky b*tch would lower my evaluation scores if the call was audited because "the customer did not leave happy." Whatever.

I never let a customer guilt-trip me. I got no problem not giving people what they want. They leave unhappy -- it's no skin off my ass.
    Last edited by KuzcoLlama; 12-19-2006, 03:14 PM. Reason: Don't quote entire post.

Comment

We tell people the first time we come to their house that both buttons are "do not touch"
      Mistake number 1. Because if you tell them not to touch it, you pretty much know what they're going to press it.

Comment

Geez, he should just make his son pay for the service call then maybe he'd learn not to screw with other people's computers.
        Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Why oh why would the button be bright yellow and right there ready for the customer to press???? that's just asking for trouble isn't it???

Comment

Well for one thing some agents are smart enough to disable the button in the router's interface, but that's only for the front yellow button, not the reset button in the back.

Comment

Quoth wj_737_700 View Post
              Mistake number 1. Because if you tell them not to touch it, you pretty much know what they're going to press it.
              Yea, but you let them know that, if they press it, their internet will go away and they will have several broken fingers. They tend to not touch it after that. If the wireless internet doesn't work, use the wired network I have or wait until I can fix it. It is when you tell them not to press it and don't tell them what will happen if they do that trouble happens.
              Last edited by Crosshair; 12-25-2006, 03:46 AM.
              "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

When you make something with a big yellow or red button you know people are going to be forced to push it at some point by their own inability to avoid bright things. Sounds like a doofy design idea to make the buttons as large and conspicuous as they are. Why not one of those little tiny buttons that take a straight pin to push. At least the people who shouldnt push things wouldnt be as easyily able to push things.

Comment

AHhh, Rahmota, but as the Dr. Ian Malcolm once said in a very lame movie, " Life, will find a way," and I find that it applies in every way, seeing as this customer sounds like he's got a brain smaller than a stegosaurus' and the common sense of an elderly Yorkshire terrier high on cocaine and Kibbles and Bits.

Comment

somewhat OT--when my brother was ill, and needed his apartment shovelled out (literally), I noticed a few buttons here and there in the wall...completely unlabelled. I figured it might not be a good idea to mess with them..but it was soooo tempting!. I found out later that those were "panic buttons" for his security alarm service!

Tell them during the install that pusing the button will set off an alarm at the company headquarters, and all service will be shut down till they can get a tech out to fix things, and they WILL have to pay for the service call.
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

You can tell them all you want about policy, etc. on the day of install. When the system goes down and they call to get a tech out to fix it, and it is stated, once again, that THEY will have to PAY for it...you'll get the good old...
                      "But, nobody TOOOOLD me that!
                      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Working...
                      X