No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh here we go again the tv acts up in bad weather we have to rescan the tv next week what are we going to doooooooooooooooo?!?!!

Yeah right ok will getting all upset about it now change one damn thing? NO it won't. Calm down and wait and see. Jeeeez my unemployed ass has bigger things to worry about than whether or not you can watch your damn cop shows.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

• I don't know why, but it bugs me when people use "adult" as a verb.

It makes me want to show them this.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• I talk a lot of shit for someone who has to psych herself up for 20 minutes to make a phone call.
        I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

• Quoth mjr View Post
          I don't know why, but it bugs me when people use "adult" as a verb.

It makes me want to show them this.
          English "verbs" things a lot, and afaik always has. Sometimes this leads to real insights, such as the realization that "being a grown-up" is at least as much "something you do" as "something you are". (Aka, it's performative and phenomenological at least as much as it's an essential quality. ) And sometimes that performance is overly burdensome....

Comment

• Will HBO make a good adaptation of 451? Not holding my breath.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
              English "verbs" things a lot, and afaik always has. Sometimes this leads to real insights, such as the realization that "being a grown-up" is at least as much "something you do" as "something you are". (Aka, it's performative and phenomenological at least as much as it's an essential quality. ) And sometimes that performance is overly burdensome....
              Let's not forget that (all?) verbs can be noun-ified. Watching something? Standing a watch. Running? Going for a run. So even though adult as a verb is technically nonsense, I can't say I'm surprised that this use came about.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                Will HBO make a good adaptation of 451? Not holding my breath.
                I just watched the trailers for it. It will not be anywhere near as good as the first one.

So they burn all the books? But in the trailers I see words all over their media devices. How do they read without books?

And if the music is as loud in the movie as in the trailer, it will be unwatchable. I couldn't hear what the actors were saying half the time.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• It all just looks very slick and Hollywood to me. I did like Truffant's version even if it wasn't completely faithful. Of course, I consider Fahrenheit 451 to be the most important book of the 20th century so really no adaptation will make me happy.
                  https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Canada, is this shitty ice storm your fault??!

Comment

• Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Canada, is this shitty ice storm your fault??!
                      Yes, we're good that way, we like to share.

Now, it'd be right neighborly if you could send some sunshine back this way!
                      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

• Quoth It's me View Post
                        Yes, we're good that way, we like to share.

Now, it'd be right neighborly if you could send some sunshine back this way!
                        At least you're not sending bushfires over...

(Not near me thank god, but one of my archery club buddies and a few of my CW's DO live out there. Archery club buddy is safe as he managed to evacuate in time, but he's worried about his grandma who didn't evacuate in time. As for the CW's, have not heard anything yet)

Comment

• Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                          English "verbs" things a lot, and afaik always has.
                          (Famous quote--) Verbing weirds language.
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Pfft, sunshine? What is this you speak of?

Haven't seen any 'round here....

Comment

• Today a CW came back from India where she had gone to attend a funeral for her mother in law. I asked how it was, and she was like "bad, while I was there my dog died" and I was like "OH NO!" and then she said "my aunt." And I said "oh. sorry." And it was awkward because I reacted stronger when I thought it was a dog.

(heavy accent+loud environment I understand like 30% of what she says)
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                                It all just looks very slick and Hollywood to me. I did like Truffant's version even if it wasn't completely faithful. Of course, I consider Fahrenheit 451 to be the most important book of the 20th century so really no adaptation will make me happy.
                                I feel the same way about L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth. Travolta's version would have to significantly improve just to suck...
                                Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Working...
                                X