This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rude? I think flying off the handle & screaming at someone is rude

Heavily edited because I posted earlier from work and it was so rambly and in two posts. Sorry.

A similar situation happened a couple of weeks ago, except she muttered under her breath instead of yelling. http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=102746If this is the same woman, I believe she purposely came to my lane so she could yell at me.

[Background]: I can't lift heavy items. They don't have to go across the in-bed scanner, just can be scanned with the handgun. I do that and leave them on the counter, and if the customer looks at me expectantly, I let him/her know I cannot move it. People are almost always just fine with that, no big deal.[/Background]

This woman did not answer when I said hi, which I overlooked; that's common today in particular. She didn't look up at me, either, as if she were trying to hide her face under her bangs. It struck me as weird. I got almost through the transaction and was about to hand her the receipt & decide about the giant dog food bags when she instantly started yelling at me something about "You know you could DO YOUR JOB!!!" as she was turned toward her cart (nearly identical statement to the one in the previous incident!) I asked what she meant. She was angry I hadn't moved the bags.

I said "I'm sorry, I can't lift anything over 10 pounds, and I do have a restriction on file. If you let me know you want it moved I can get someone to help out." I don't remember what she said after that, but she was ticked royally that I hadn't told her first.

Now, I had discussed the former situation with the supervisor and asked if I should pre-empt every transaction like that with the information that I had a health issue. I didn't want to; sometimes it's akward, and people don't need to know. Plus, 99% had no problem putting stuff back in the cart. At the time, the supervisor said, "You shouldn't have to." We agreed that if the customer was waiting for me to move it at the end, I should say something then, as that only happens once in a blue moon.

So that's what I did this time, and it was apparently a grave sin. I said "all it takes is a little communication and any number of people will be happy to help us out." This sent her off the deep end--probbly because I called her out on not communicating--and she kept yelling about how rude I was and screamed "DO YOUR JOB!" about 4 times. She also went on about not being psychic and knowing I had an issue. And yet, she hadn't even given me a chance to say so! In fact, she expected me to be psychic and know she wanted them moved.

The supervisor there at the time (let's call her Zoe) isn't actually management, so she couldn't correct the customer for yelling at me. She could've called an actual manager, but said she didn't know if I wanted a big deal made out of it. I told her that next time, I absolutely do. I am ready for a fight and I want it all noted immediately when it happens. Zoe said, "OK, good to know." She said I did absolutely nothing wrong and handled myself very professionally and would back me up.
    I
    was livid, though. I hope dog food lady comes in in January when I'm the only cashier and has no choice but to be waited on by me.

To add insult to injury, apparently the daughter asked the mom if I was pregnant and my coworker heard that. None of their business!
    Last edited by Food Lady; 12-02-2013, 04:12 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Why you are restricted from lifting things is nobody's damned business, but with a mom like that, I'm not surprised the daughter asked such a rude question.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I must admit, until I worked *big box retail* I had no idea how physical cashiering could be. After scanning and bagging for 8 hours, muscles are tired. It is so easy to get injured by reaching/twisting/lifting wrong. I learned to be very protective of how I reached for product and how I went about scanning and bagging. I didn't reach for things if it meant putting extra stress on my back. I tried to avoid lifting heavy stuff when possible and would scan and cheerily tell customers they could put the heavy item back in their cart (in my "friendly customer servicey" voice). I also suffer from carpal tunnel, so I always wore a hand brace. Didn't stop a few customers from asking if I was too lazy to move the huge package of water or the bookshelf they put onto the belt. Good thing most customers were just fine with it.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Yep, and I am already permanently injured, and also trying to recover from a brain injury. I don't need this.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You wouldn't believe how many customers I remind every day that we have a scanner gun with a nice, long, stretchy cord, making it unnecessary for them to lift heavy items out of their cart to place them on the belt, and yet the next time they come in they do it all over again. Even multiple heavy items where we'd only have to scan one in "X" amount of times (if we had to lift it out at all, which we don't). If you have three 24-packs of water, what makes you think you need to lift all of them onto the belt?!
          Last edited by Monterey Jack; 12-02-2013, 04:53 AM.

Comment

I always ask the cashier if they need me to take it out if the cart or can they scan it still in. I put it in the cart, I can take it out.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              and also trying to recover from a brain injury.
              A situation SCs will never find themselves in - for the same reason that Brad Pitt will never be afflicted with ovarian cysts.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I bet the food was for the SC herself because as I understand it, that's what bitches eat.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Dammit, Hero -- I was eating when I read that! Fortunately, I wasn't drinking anything or we would have had a Rule 1 violation on our hands
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    I bet the food was for the SC herself because as I understand it, that's what bitches eat.
                    I wish this was on Facebook so I could like this comment.

Yeah, I know what the OP is going thru; tho *touches wood* I no longer have the issue any more, back when I worked on checkouts I had a bad back from coming off a motorbike and could not lift stuff. Most customers were fine with lifting stuff up for me to scan or reading out the barcode so I could enter it manually on the till but occasionally a twat would come up who'd whine about my refusal to lift things or about the wait for a supervisor to lift it if they wouldn't. One SC even said, nastily, "You can't have a bad back. You're too young."
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                      You wouldn't believe how many customers I remind every day that we have a scanner gun with a nice, long, stretchy cord, making it unnecessary for them to lift heavy items out of their cart to place them on the belt, and yet the next time they come in they do it all over again. Even multiple heavy items where we'd only have to scan one in "X" amount of times (if we had to lift it out at all, which we don't). If you have three 24-packs of water, what makes you think you need to lift all of them onto the belt?!
                      We have wireless ones that can reach around half the store's length before they lose signal. They're out in the open, plain sight. People STILL insist on lifting their massive stuff onto the belt.

Comment

Working...
                      X