This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiment in virtualization.

So, as a linux admin, we have a few boxes here than run a Xen environment (virtualized, basically command line vmware.) Since I know nothing about it, I dropped my favorite flavor of linux, Gentoo, on a VirtualBox install. I'm watching the kernel compile now that should add xen support. When I'm done, I will have a virtualized OS, running in a virtualized OS, running on my workstation at work. :-D

This may have security implications at home too, so I have extra drive to finish this little project. I'm wanting to consolidate my IRC/Eggdrop servers into one box with a file server I'll be setting up as soon as I can afford the 3 2TB drives that will be RAID5'd and setup with shares across the network. When done, this should allow me to share to the PS3, the 2 macs, my linux laptop, and anything else I decide to add later. :-D
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

If you can manage an extra machine for home then try the stand alone Xen Server from the Citrix site. That with the Xen Center management console is pretty nice to use. Much nicer to use than VirtualBox and, at least for me, gives much better performance on the VMs.
    Don't just do something...sit there!

Comment

Quoth grokit View Post
      If you can manage an extra machine for home then try the stand alone Xen Server from the Citrix site.
      Virtualbox is only going to be used as a testbed before I roll this out to my home machine. The final setup at home will be Gentoo Linux with a Xen enabled kernel, and a Xen for a work project I've been playing with (not giving any info out on that until I have a final release.), and another Xen for IRC/eggdrop bot. This gives me more separation between systems, consolidates all into one box, and finally, gives me an easily fixable/more secure environment should either slightly not so secure system be hacked.
      Coworker: Distro of choice?
      Me: Gentoo.
      Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Working...
      X