Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where I'm incapable of installing a printer..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where I'm incapable of installing a printer..

Last week, the cash office printer up and died.

Our local IT person had brought us a "new"(er) printer, but left before installing drivers. It's hooked up via ethernet, and it's similar to my parents HP laser printer, so I just printed out the status sheet and started to install the drivers on both cash office PC's. I actually had it spitting out a freshly printed test page showing it was working when our local IT person walked in.

Her: OMFG WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Me: Finishing what you didn't finish. Just finished, here's the test print.

Her: NO IT'S SCREWED UP, RARGH YOU SCREWED IT UP I HAVE TO REINSTALL EVERYTHING I'M ON THE PHONE WITH THE HELPDESK NOW! OMG!

me: ????

I'd already fired a few pages through it and it was working fine, the drivers from the old printer even worked, just needed the IP changed.

And seriously, you're "THE IT PERSON", why the fuck are you calling the corporate help desk to install.. printer drivers? Or rather, reconfigure them for a new IP, same drivers work fine on the new printer (same model).

Oh yeah, same IT person failed to install drivers for the new PIN pads on 3 registers (out of 20) when we got new card readers. Hooked them up, but didn't bother installing drivers. That... sucked, really bad, since one of them was our busiest register and it took her several DAYS to fix it. How hard is it to pop the CD in and hook up a USB keyboard? (our registers run Windows XP)
    Last edited by bean; 06-01-2010, 01:11 AM.

Quoth bean View Post
    And seriously, you're "THE IT PERSON", why the fuck are you calling the corporate help desk to install.. printer drivers? Or rather, reconfigure them for a new IP, same drivers work fine on the new printer (same model).
    Not to defend him, but an IT person phoning the helpdesk is not uncommon. The helpdesk has to be able to see the item for future troubleshooting, so the field tech will call them to get relevant info (proper IP address, particular config settings, inventory entry access, etc). In a major project, like an overhaul, the information will be supplied to the tech or team lead before he ever arrives, but in basic troubleshooting, you need to phone for the info, then after phone to make sure that yes, the helpdesk can see it and are able to get status info from it. If they don't have that info, or can't verify it's functionality, then there could be a problem with it or something else that they have no clue about, which results in another visit at more cost. (field techs are usually subcontracted)

Now if part of the conversation is "how do I...", then there's a problem with the tech.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That *might* be true. However, I *can't* defend the tech in this case. Setting up a new piece of hardware, and then not taking care of the drivers...is a dick move. Even more so, is getting defensive and pissy when someone else has to take care of the problem...because someone didn't do their job right. Sorry folks, but that's a major pet peeve with me. I can't stand techs who half-ass installations.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
        The only thing I can think of here is that the tech had to set up the IP address on the printer to match the IP address from the old printer, or really did need to set up a new IP address for the printer.
        That's what we do at work - plus a team that's off site configures the printers and then runs a script for the location that will add the printer to all the computers that will use it.

But - rather sucky for your IT person to go off on you like that.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I fail to see the suck here, as an IT tech myself, the single most annoying thing is to see an un-qualified (weither they know the machine or not) person, installing or 'fixing' anything. All businesses have a procedure that IT has to follow, and unless you are privy to that information it really isn't you're place to be installing drivers.

Besides they are being paid to do the job, if any problems arise from the install it wont be you're butt on the line. Im going to assume they went off as they now have to re do the job, and if there work load is anything like mine every job is timed to fit in a very busy daily calender.
          Last edited by plan9au; 06-10-2010, 01:11 AM.

Comment

well I'd say the suck is pretty damn obvious, the IT person is supposed to install a printer and doesn't install it properly. Then she gets mad that someone caught her out on her half assed job.

But the real suck here is the fact that IT guy SHOUTED at the op for just trying to get their job done efficiently (I assume there job required a working printer otherwise they wouldn't have needed a new one). The shouting is uncalled for. A quiet word on how unfortunately IT's boss requires all IT to be done by the book so would they mind letting IT deal with it next time, and she would have installed the drivers but X uber important thing came up so she had to leave the job half done, would have not been sucky compared to "ARGH I AM UNREASONABLY ANGRY"
            "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
            Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

I think the suck goes both ways. The user didn't know if it was a networked printer or local, if it was addressed by DNS or direct numeric IP, or even if it was on DHCP or static IP. The tech should come out with all that information on the first visit, which is where the tech was being sucky.

Too many users fail to understand -- even though it may LOOK like a home computer or printer, when it's networked it's a completely different animal.

Now, let's not beat this further, or Raps will tell us to take it to fratching.
              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth plan9au View Post
                I fail to see the suck here....
                Ahem...

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=34921

Site News updates are important, and this one isn't even all that recent. Please read, and drop this line of discussion.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                  T Y'know, besides lining his pocket book.
                  Like the guy who took 4 trips to replace two POS PC's that died. Swapped PC's plugged in customer monitor and left. Came back spent two hours "troubleshooting" and 1 call to the HD to plug in cashier keyboard and pin-pad power. Came back, plugged in pin pad on 1 lane. Came back and plugged in other pin pad.

Comment

Sounds like when the printer at Game Store went belly-up. I'm no expert, but know my way around networked printers reasonably well and this setup was dead simple. The register computer apparently 'forgot' the IP of the office printer (not sure why); I had written down the networking info for everything in the store so at least one person would actually have it. Boss' 'IT guy' wasn't answering his phone, not unusual.

To do my job I need the printer to work, so I went in and reset things. Print test page, print duplicate invoice off ebay from both computers, it works. I leave about six notes for boss saying that the printer WORKS now.

Next day, it's snafu'ed again. The printer now has the same IP as the office computer (wtf?) Turned out that boss thought the addresses needed to be the same; no wonder nothing worked for long
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

One of my IT guys regularly gets viruses on his work laptop for clicking links in e-mails that he shouldn't click. This is on top of all the other IT stuff that he gets wrong. Does that count?

Comment

Probably.

Game Store's IT guy had to replace the HSF assembly on the server (apparently the poor thing had been running for a week with insufficient processor cooling). Machine is AMD; it says so on the tin. Genius buys an Intel heatsink that isn't even close, and tries to brute-force the fit for five minutes before realizing he got the wrong type. My reward for diplomatically trying to point this out is "Now I need you to go to [computer store] and get an AMD heatsink fan assembly. You know what that is? Here, let me write it down for you. Ask the salesman.". *stabbity*

Get whined at again when I install it while he's in the bathroom, then Cool Manager chewed him out for having the wrong part. Blame was attempted to be shifted, but CM was having none of it.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                        X