Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just what the heck are you looking for??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just what the heck are you looking for??

Not sure these customers are actually sucky but ... certainly the type that make you go Perhaps "slightly sucky" will do.

You do realize you need something at least slightly porous, right??
    Slightly Sucky Customer #1 comes in looking for something to steep looseleaf tea with. I show her a basic diffuser ($10). No, she says, the mesh is too loose, she'll end up with "sludge" in her tea. Well, okay, it is the bottom-of-the-barrel product, in terms of what our store carries.

So I show her a better-made diffuser, with a gazillion little holes in it. We're talking TINY holes. Smaller than the head of the proverbial pin.

Nope, it's still too "loose."

So I show her our best tea ball -- another item with a gazillion tiny holes that a molecule would have trouble squeezing through.

You guessed it.

At that point all my sales patter deserted me and I just stood there. I wanted to say, "Lady, you do realize that you need something that's at least a little porous, right? Something that will let the water in and then let it drain back out again." I also wanted to ask what the hell kind of tea she's using; tea is NOT supposed to be the consistency of fine dust particles.

But then I have to buy a kettle
    Slightly Sucky Customer #2 looking at various travel mugs and whatnot.
    SSC: "But can I make tea in these?"
    Me: "Well, sure, you just put the tea leaves in here and then pour the hot water in and let it steep."
    SSC: "But then I have to buy a kettle ..."

At some point she and her companion wandered away and I left them to it, but I heard the "But then I have to buy a kettle ..." refrain a couple more times before they finally wandered right out of the store.

I really have no idea what they were looking for ... apparently something that will serve as both a tea-maker and mug, all in one. I felt really badly that making a cup of tea was so much work for the poor girl ...

Quoth Pixilated View Post
    I also wanted to ask what the hell kind of tea she's using; tea is NOT supposed to be the consistency of fine dust particles.
    Fun fact of the day - there is a grade of tea called dust. Accounts for huge amounts of tea sold, but it's normally contained within teabags.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
      Fun fact of the day - there is a grade of tea called dust. Accounts for huge amounts of tea sold, but it's normally contained within teabags.
      Wonder if she was just cutting open tea bags and calling it loose leaf tea...
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

SSC: "But then I have to buy a kettle ..."
        Wait, she wants the mug to boil the water for her?

Cuz I've seen contraptions where you've got a nifty little tea strainer basket in the mug and you pull that out when you're done steeping and voila! Travel tea mug! But the water still has to be put in, ideally hot since you're trying to get TEA out of this . . . .

And as for tiny particle lady, I suspect what she needs to do is steep her tea in a frikkin sock. (Or, you know, a reusable tea bag.)
        Last edited by camjuniper; 11-21-2013, 02:26 PM.

Comment

She needs to switch to coffee.... or maybe not, she'll be even more hyper to deal with!
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Huh. I just heat my water in a microwave and pour it over my tea. No kettle needed.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

A couple of jobs back, one of my customers asked "who decides if something is permeable or impermeable?"
              I kinda blue screened at that point, but apparently he got the answer along the lines of "Fact?"

Comment

But then I have to buy a kettle
                I really have no idea what they were looking for ... apparently something that will serve as both a tea-maker and mug, all in one. I felt really badly that making a cup of tea was so much work for the poor girl ...
                Meh, you can find mugs that are microwave safe. Nuke some water, add a tea bag, profit. It's not fancy, but it works for some people.

Comment

Quoth camjuniper View Post
                  Wait, she wants the mug to boil the water for her?

*snip*
                  And as for tiny particle lady, I suspect what she needs to do is steep her tea in a frikkin sock. (Or, you know, a reusable tea bag.)
                  I never did figure out what the "kettle" customer wanted. Yeah, if it's that much trouble, use a microwave -- tea in seconds!

Actually what the 'particle' lady seemed to want was one of the strainers in one of the pitchers we sell ... I looked at it and could NOT figure out how those high-grade items were "too loosely built" but this was OK, but hey ... the customer is always right.

Or something.

Comment

She needs this:

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Immersi.../dp/B000AXS0UE

Comment

but hey ... the customer is always right.

Or something.
                      from not always right unfiltered

http://24.media.tumblr.com/62e2796a6...640yo1_400.jpg

Comment

Yeah, that's about right!

Ah, good idea! Alas ... we don't sell it. But I'm sure she'll find somewhere that does.

Comment

Well, given that there are self-stirring mugs, surely it's only a matter of time until you don't need a kettle either!
                          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Kath -- I would actually love something like that for hot chocolate ^_^ Tho, I suppose that mugs that can drink the stuff for you can't be that far away...
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say I can tell the difference between microwaved water (or milk) and heated water or steamed milk. But who can't find a tea kettle? They have them at thrift stores, even. Or use a saucepan. Also, there is such a thing as a tea sock. http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...SkmCsZXixPKwqg
                              Last edited by Food Lady; 11-23-2013, 07:20 AM.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X