This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was screamed at until I cried...

Been awhile since I've posted a story, truth be told, I have tons. But no willpower to type them up. But this one.... Oh, these particular women had to have their own thread as soon as possible.

So I work in an aquarium out of a mall. It's fairly decent for the space we have to work with and a wonderful atmosphere. I work at several different stations and deal mostly with transactions (Not my position of choice really, but it's my first paying job and one that would be easy to use as work experience for any retail jobs later on), so gift shop, the souvenir photo desk, and on rare occasions, taking pictures on our green screen. I like the job, have some great coworkers, and have (semi) intelligent bosses.

Now as many places like this, we do birthday parties. Yes, they're very expensive, but everything is supplied; drinks, food, cake (cookie cake, no less!) and staff hired just for such occasions.

This was last Saturday late into the afternoon. I'm pulling a double shift because my coworker called out and no one else was available. What makes this worse was that particular day was Thanksgiving with some extended family who I haven't seen in about a year. And I'm missing it because of work. I only took the extra six hours (on top of the six I already had) because I figured if I had a reason why I couldn't go to Thanksgiving, might as well give myself a reason to stay at work.

I'm at the gift shop till as normal when a woman with short dark haired woman (who shall be called SC1) and another woman (SC2) comes up. The following happens:

SC1: "I'm with the party group! I was told to pick up our presents here!" She had a really stern voice to her and I already had that feeling this was going to suck.

Me: "Alright, give me one moment to call our Events Manager!"

SC1: "What do you mean? They were supposed to be here when we arrived!!!"

Me: *Um, do you see them here?* "Well, Ma'am I'm not really associated with our Events Team. But I'll just call them and they'll bring the presents down here!"

SC1: *Dramatic sigh* "Ugh, this is ridiculous! Will our jackets be there, too?"

Me: (I'm trying really hard to keep a smile going by this point...) "I'm sorry about the inconvenience, Ma'am, they'll be here shortly, and they should have your jackets with them..."

1 minute later...

SC1: "WHERE ARE THEY?! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!"

Me: **Oh God, here we go...** "Ma'am, they should be here in a little while, it takes a little time to get here with where they're coming from!"

SC1: "GET ME YOUR MANAGER NOW!!!"

Me: **Perfect, I was going to call her anyway now that you've started shouting.** "Yes, Ma'am. One moment please."

Manager arrives, unfortunately, out of the three that could have arrived at that time, it was the one who was just promoted to manager and doesn't have a handle on things quite yet.

I'm not really sure what all happened between her and my manager because the following happens.

Enter SC1's friend, SC2...

SC2 is an older woman with graying blonde hair, and looks to be about 10-15 years older than SC1. But this one was far worse and the reason for this thread's title.

SC2: *puts items on counter, and holds out money and an annual pass (annual passes get you a 10% discount on purchases) before I even scan her purchases.*

Me: "Alright, that'll be *price*. If you can just sign this card for me, I'll go ahead and ring the purchase through." (The card in question was what we give whenever there's some sort of discount. Annual pass discounts have and always will fall under this category)

SC2: I don't need to sign anything.

Me: "Ma'am, it's for the discount from the annual pass. It's standard procedure and I'm not allowed to move through the transaction without it."

SC2" "Ugh, fine. Hey, (man's name who is relatively unimportant to the story) this is your pass you need to sign this. (That's right, the pass wasn't her's. The only reason I let her through is that the man who it belonged to was in the group with SC1 and SC2. Although this guy is actually a decent human being.)

As I'm ringing everything through, I look to my left and see SC1's son has wandered behind my desk and staring at me holding a drink cup, not saying anything.

Me: "Woah, buddy! There's nothing interesting back here for you. Sorry! (Now, between missing family Thanksgiving, the double shift, and dealing with these idiots, my patience has been tested. I can imagine my temper was rather short at the time and my tone probably showed that. But I have Asberger's disorder. I have a hard time reading tone of voice, especially if it's my own.)

SC2: Wow! You guys claim to cater to kids and then there's THAT!

SC1: *looking up* (Manager she was talking to had gone with the rest of the team to get the presents to the family's car) "What happened?"

SC2: "She just said, *mimicking me in a very nasally voice* ""There's nothing back here for you, get out!"" (That "get out" was not there, I can assure you of that)

Me: **Just now it dawned on me here that what I said may have been taken the wrong way** "Hold on, Ma'am I didn't mean to sound rude. He just can't be back here. I meant what I said in the best way possible."

SC1: "So what? My son can't use your trash can instead of leaving his empty cup on your shelf? Is that not allowed?

Me: "He's more than welcome to. But I didn't know the cup was empty." (It had a lid on it)

SC2: "Well, you need to learn that children are people, too!" (Aaand that did it. That was where I started fighting back tears.)

SC1 and SC2 leave. Thank God.

And of course right after that, I got a woman who didn't understand why she needed her ID to make a purchase with a card. I called a manager again, luckily it was a different one than who SC1 was talking to. He handled the ID lady and after that I burst into tears.

It was bad enough to where my shift lead had to cover the shop so I could go to the break room and calm down. I stayed there for a good 30 minutes crying before I calmed down enough to finish my shift. Now, normally the "children are people, too" comment would only really piss me off on a normal day, but it was all the factors leading up to that which did me in. I'm 18 years old, the youngest member on the team. In that sense, no one would understand that children are people more than I would, seeing how I still am one.

I learned when I came in this morning that birthday party group had been a pain to almost everyone. With the way they complained to my manager (The one who was called down to talk to SC1) you would've thought we beat the kids with sticks. They complained of the party host purposefully scaring the kids, which while I'll admit I'm not on great terms with the guy, I KNOW he would never do anything like that. Then when the kids ran around everywhere like mad putting their hands in our open tanks and trying to grab the fish. Adults would get mad if an employee said they weren't allowed to reach inside the tanks.

Then there was the free green screen photo that the parents of the birthday kid receive with the party. Our program for the picture crashed just as theirs was taken and it didn't save. Yeah, I'd be annoyed, too. But I'm a rational human being and know these things happen, plus, you're allowed to retake the picture anyway. So with those factors, and with me being the last employee at the end of their visit, I got the major blunt of all of their rage.

So CS, thoughts? I just needed to rant, seeing as still find myself thinking about it and what else I could have said to them.
    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Quoth Eevie View Post
    Then when the kids ran around everywhere like mad putting their hands in our open tanks and trying to grab the fish. Adults would get mad if an employee said they weren't allowed to reach inside the tanks.
    Please tell me that you have stonefish on display - or that the pihrannas hadn't been fed in days.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I am sorry that you had such an horrendous day at work. It seems to me that whenever I try to help out a friend/work/colleague, I always end up paying for it by having sucky customers/stressed bosses.

Have a virtual hug and brain bleach. Whilst I wouldn't wish anybody any ill, I don't mind if those sucky customers stand on lego bricks and/or lose their car keys.
      There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

Geez, what miserable harpies. How could the kid in question have a nice birthday with such horrid relatives? And to take out their pathetic existences on you is beyond unaccepable.

And when kids come behind my register, I'll usually look at them and say, "See those books on that resort shelf? Go put them up please." Either the parents laugh and remove them or the kid rushes off in fright at the thought of having to work.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Please tell me that you have stonefish on display - or that the pihrannas hadn't been fed in days.
          Unfortunately we don't have either of those fish (in open tanks at least) but we do have catfish and bass inside the tanks. I have heard people have gotten bit by reaching their hands in with the catfish. Of course there are signs everywhere saying not to reach in. But we all know how customers are with signs.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
          And when kids come behind my register, I'll usually look at them and say, "See those books on that resort shelf? Go put them up please." Either the parents laugh and remove them or the kid rushes off in fright at the thought of having to work.
          I only wish I could've said something like that. But these women were the types of people to think I'd be serious.

What I keep thinking about the most on the "Children are people, too" comment, yes, children are people; they need to follow the rules and communicate what they want instead off just staring. But then I remember, "Oh no, they're the Speshul Snowflake party group, their kids don't need to follow rules!"

Last edited by EricKei; 12-02-2013, 06:24 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Sorry you had to go through that. Just remember that woman has to live with herself. You, on the other hand, can go home and know you're a decent human being who doesn't give retail workers a hard time.

As an aside, I would love to visit that aquarium one of these days. It sounds really cool.
            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Waiiiittt, they let their kids put their hands in the open fish tanks?! Did they even know what kind of FISH were in those tanks?! Some of those fish don't handle things like lotions, skin oils and stress. Not to mention that some fish can create dangerous to humans!

Me, I'd be gunning for banning them from the place. If for nothing else than endangering the fish! "I'm sorry, your annual pass has been declined due to fish abuse. We'll gladly refund you the remaining amount on your pass.. minus the cost of the fish we've had to replace due to your neglect of your children."
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

First, it's too bad you couldn't respond with "Ma'am, I AM A PERSON TOO, and you screaming at me is abusive. Please leave."

Second, you had a bad day but you did nothing wrong. You tried to do your job the best you could, while these idiots were just looking for things to complain about.

Third...Putting their hands in the tanks??? HELL, NO.

I don't even understand why an aquarium would have parties, considering the way so many kids are allowed to misbehave. I guess they make good money on these, but maybe they ought to have a security guard there to keep people's hands out of the tanks.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
                  He handled the ID lady and after that I burst into tears.

It was bad enough to where my shift lead had to cover the shop so I could go to the break room and calm down. I stayed there for a good 30 minutes crying before I calmed down enough to finish my shift.
                  Aww, Eevie. It's not your age, or you personally. I'm old enough to be your mother, and last week a conflict with a similarly evil harpy sent me to the breakroom in tears.

There seems to be an overabundance of nasty hags snarling at customer service workers lately. Someone must've dumped Carnation Instant Bitch in the water supply. I suppose we should be glad we're not related to them or have to live with them.

As for the fish...I really, really wish people would think about what they're doing before they do it. They never consider the rights or needs of the creatures they're harrassing, or what their filthy hands will do to the animal's health, all they know is they want to pet the fishies. Kids are naive and don't know any better, but the adults in charge should teach them better. Shame on them for not doing so!
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    As for the fish...I really, really wish people would think about what they're doing before they do it. They never consider the rights or needs of the creatures they're harrassing, or what their filthy hands will do to the animal's health, all they know is they want to pet the fishies. Kids are naive and don't know any better, but the adults in charge should teach them better. Shame on them for not doing so!
                    Actually, with how germaphobic so many people are these days, I'm surprised they would even let their children put their hands in the water.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                      Lol, both my daughters, and now my 3 grandkids, would say 'okay.' and start putting them up as neatly as possible. And would be all delighted that an adult actually let them help.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                        Waiiiittt, they let their kids put their hands in the open fish tanks?! Did they even know what kind of FISH were in those tanks?! Some of those fish don't handle things like lotions, skin oils and stress. Not to mention that some fish can create dangerous to humans!
                        The tanks in question I'm pretty sure are the freshwater tanks. The following fish in these couple of tanks would be; Catfish, Freshwater Bass, and our two brand new Alligator Gar.

All of these fish can be rather territorial and will defend themselves if they feel the need. The catfish have actually bitten a guest and the only reason they didn't press charges were because there are signs EVERYWHERE, they'd have no case against us. The freshwater bass have actually spit at people who've reached into the tanks before. THAT was fun to watch seeing as our fish have excellent aim, they land dead center in the forehead every time.

Haven't had incidents with the Alligator Gar yet since they haven't been here all that long. I suppose that's a good thing...

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Aww, Eevie. It's not your age, or you personally. I'm old enough to be your mother, and last week a conflict with a similarly evil harpy sent me to the breakroom in tears.
                        Yikes, just read the post. Yeah, I was shaking and hyperventilating really badly as well, mostly trying to stop crying since I was still on the floor. I did have one couple who was genuinely concerned about me , even though they didn't see what happened, they had that face of wanting to be able to do something, but not knowing what to do. It was awful waiting to finally get away from the register. It took about ten minutes for my manager to get a hold of the Shift Lead, and for her to get to the floor. When I finally came back, I was still crying a little, but at least I had a towel this time to wipe any tears away.
                        Last edited by Eevie; 12-03-2013, 04:23 AM.

Comment

What the heck was their problem?! They sound bloody awful. How can people like this live with themselves? And who lets their kids put their hands in fishtanks?

Comment

*hugs Eevie*

You are cool. They are not. Everybody has to learn boundaries and they are in the wrong for acting like screaming toddlers about it.
                            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                            -----
                            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Eevie, it's nice to see you posting, even if it was something awful that drove you to it. Sadly, (and I hate to say it but want to let you know that this kind of thing won't always wreck you) the whole scenario is all too common in the service industry, and you DO get used to it. Doesn't mean they are less terrible, just means you find a way to cope and it runs off your back.

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              Carnation Instant Bitch
                              SO stolen, and I already have two circumstances to use it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X