This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dark Shadows movie

I did a search and didn't find anything about it, DSi here we go. I just finished watching and it was actually pretty good. For what it was going for.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm as nitpicky as the next fan, but I get what they were going for. If you've seen the series you get the clever little references. I saw shades of the original series, at least one of the movies, and the '91 series. Hell, play close enough attention and you'll see a couple kick butt cameos.
    It is not the original Dark Shadows soap opera ultra drama. It doesn't take itself seriously, because it doesn't need to. twilights doing that now. Almost everything in that show we've seen in other films and books a thousand times since. Hell they ripped off a number of their storylines from existing books and movies. Adam, leviathans, Quentin Collins, Barnabas, and many others all came from other places.

If you're still reluctant, allow me to ease your mind.

1. Is the acting campy and a little over the top? Yes, they're trying to do it like the show.
    2. But the trailer made it look silly? The trailer was lame. It was a bad trailer.
    3. Are there references to Carolyns father that go unanswered? yes.
    4. what about Maggie Evans? She's in it.
    5. Laura Collins.
    6. The original cast loved it (RIP Jonathan Frid), and I think I'm now a step or two away from Johnny Depp. I met Lara Parker at a con in 1999.

I didn't get to see it on the big screen but always intended to give it a try ... will probably rent it as soon as I can (assuming there are any rental places left ...) I had no problem with the trailer, but I was astounded at the number of comments screaming bloody murder about how they were "ruining" the original show and why didn't they make this like the original show and blah and blah. It was very obviously intended to be a parody of the show, and the show was pretty much a parody of itself, so ...

I was a fanatic over the original show, and remember reading a hilarious critique of the show by Cleveland Amory, who was at that time doing a regular column for the TV Guide. Among other things he mentioned the show's shameless ripoff of classical literature (Dracula -- obviously -- but also Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and so on) which resulted in my reading many of those books.

Bad TV isn't always a bad thing.

Comment

I can't really say it's a parody. I've seen parodies, and it's not that. The trailer really doesn't do the movie justice. It took most of the funny/one liners and strung them together. Dracula, Dead and Loving It, parody. Young Frankenstein, parody. New Dark Shadows has funny parts, but it doesn't feel like a parody to me. Horror Comedy would be closer to what I'd describe it as.

Comment

Ah. Well, I'm basing my comments on only the trailer, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're not accurate. I'll see if I can't watch it over Christmas ... is it out on DVD yet?

Comment

In the US, yes, dunno about else where. I know I saw it at Redbox (I rented it from Hastings) a day or two ago.

Comment

I laughed my head off over that movie, loved it to pieces. I'm going to try and look for it for cheap online, on The Day That Shall Not Be Named.
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I liked this movie. Not so much the tv show. I found the tv show boring, but Johnny Depp is always amusing.

Comment

The TV show was a soap opera, and the 1991 show didn't have a chance. I keep hoping they'll try again on CW, but last time they tried it never even got to air. /maybe now with new Beauty and the Beast it'll happen.

Comment

I saw it on the big screen -- worth a rent/view, especially for fans of the show.

As I recall, it does move kinda slow, and the film's not quite as clever as it thinks it is. Not horrible by any means, but neither did I think it was brilliant, iirc. Still worth a viewing.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm thinking that this is a comedic homage rather than a straight adaptation or parody.

In much the same way as the Dragnet movie was a comedic homage to the original show.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                    X