This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakfast Burritos!

Random post, just because I'm making another batch of these today and felt like sharing.

I keep these on hand as my boyfriend likes to have breakfast most days and I am NOT a morning person. Since I can make these and freeze them, he gets his breakfast and I get to not worry about cooking til noon-ish.

This makes 30 or so burritos, maybe more if you use smaller tortillas.

3-5 packages of flour tortillas. (3 if you get the extra large burrito size, up to 5 for the smaller soft taco size)

One dozen eggs (feel free to use egg whites if you wish to, for whatever reason).

About a dozen potatoes, depending on size of the spuds. Scrub 'em well, but don't peel them. You could also use about 4 or 5 cups of cooked rice, or a combination of rice and potatoes.

2 pounds of bacon or sausage or ham or any combination that you like.

About 2 cups of shredded cheese. I like to use a medium cheddar.

About 16 ounces of sour cream. Or unsweetened plain yogurt. Don't skip this ingredient, it's important for maintaining moistness in the burrito when it's reheated.

A big, I mean really big mixing bowl. Or soup pot if you don't have a bowl big enough.

Scissors! For cutting plastic wrap. You only need a small piece for each burrito, and scissors work much more easily than the cutter on the box for this.

Start with the meats. Coarsely chop up bacon and/or ham. Break sausage into approximately fingertip sized chunks. Cook all meats together covered over low heat til they're all cooked through. Drain and reserve fat. Dump meats into your mixing bowl.

Dice potatoes, put into skillet with one to two tablespoons of the fat drained from the meats. Cook covered over low heat til the potatoes are soft. Dump into your mixing bowl with the meats.

Scramble eggs in a large bowl. Put into your skillet with one to two TEASPOONS (don't need as much for the eggs) of the fat drained from the meats. Add any seasonings you wish to the eggs. Black pepper, garlic, oregano, etc. Cook covered over low heat til almost solidly set. Stir, breaking the eggs into approximately fingertip sized chunks. When eggs are cooked through, dump into your mixing bowl with the meats and potatoes.

Add cheese and sour cream to your mixing bowl. Mix everything well. Spoon into tortillas and fold. Wrap burritos individually in plastic wrap and freeze. Extra large tortillas take about 1/2 cup of mixture per burrito.

To serve, microwave for 2 to 3 minutes in the plastic wrap. Let sit til it's cool enough to eat, unwrap and enjoy. Personally, I really like the flavor and texture of the tortilla when it's been steamed by the heating. If you don't care for steamed tortilla, take the plastic off before you heat it.

Burrito mix can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Cooking time is about 30 to 45 minutes per step (If you use just one skillet through all of the prep. More skillets means less overall cook time, but more cleanup.), keeping it covered and using low heat means you can do other stuff while it cooks and not have to worry too much about anything scorching.

The most time consuming part is actually assembling the burritos. It's not bad though if you have one or two people who can help, and set up an assembly line style operation with one person filling, one folding, and one wrapping in plastic.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

For anyone who likes spicy food, I would recommend any of the following, or a combination of any or several of these:

--using chorizo sausage as one or more of the meats.

--using cilantro to season the meat.

--using red or cayenne pepper to season the meat and/or eggs.

--using pepper jack cheese, jalapeno cheese, or some other kind of spicy cheese.

--adding salsa or pico de gallo to the burrito after it's been reheated.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I've made these for a camping trip before (steamer double boiler set-up to reheat) and I added onion and green peppers when the eggs were cooking.

Comment

As someone else who is "not a morning person" but who knows I really should have some kind of breakfast ... than you! Those sound like just the ticket!

Comment

I miss breakfast burritos. It's so hard to find tortillas in HI.

Comment

I should make a bunch of those for my husband before I go back to Alaska. Especially since putting something in the microwave is about the extent of his cooking skills.
            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Working...
            X