Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I was feeling bad about it, but...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I was feeling bad about it, but...

Good God.

Earlier this week, one of the representatives at the company where I do most of my work, called me to ask if I could do a certain assignment. I said, yes, I could.

Now, this is the important part:

When could I do the job?

I told her, making it VERY CLEAR that I am NOT available during a certain time frame, but that OUTSIDE said time frame, I am available. Okay, that should be clear, right?

Well, yes, if you're talking to someone who speaks English fluently.

Today, I was notified that the assignment had been arranged for a time that is during my unavailable time. I have accepted the assignment, but I let the representative know that she had misunderstood the time when I was available, and that I knew she didn't speak English very well, so I suggested that she pass on any such future assignments to another representative, who speaks English much better. I also let her know that this can't happen again. I hammered home the point about passing on future assignments; eventually, she pointed out that I'd made this remark several times. I agreed, and told her that I wanted to make sure that she knew what I was saying.

During this phone call, she commented weakly that "We're only human." She also asked me what happens when I make a mistake. I told her that I pay for it, which is true.

I was feeling bad about this after the phone call. She sounded as if she might be crying. She's always been very nice and bubbly, though difficult to communicate with, due to the language barrier. I was wondering if I should have handled it differently, and if so, how.

Not anymore. She sent me a couple of very rude emails, telling me that she's absolutely sure that I gave her a different timeframe, that she knows what she knows and I can't tell her any differently, her English is just fine, thank you, and not to talk to her like that anymore.

I emailed her that I am hardly likely to tell her that I'm available when I'm not - who knows better than I when I'm available? I told her that if she doesn't understand something, she can always ask me to repeat it. I pointed out that she has called me during my busy period, so she also has at least some idea of when I'm available.

Gah. That company is just a place where nobody takes responsibility for any damned thing.

There's more!

She's still pissed off, still trying to lie her way out of it (really; she's lying about her ability to speak and comprehend the English language) and trying to put the blame squarely on me, because it's just SO confusing to talk to me.

Right; if that were the case, she would have mentioned it a long time ago.

It looks to me like she's playing the Cover Your Ass game. Maybe she's afraid I'll go to her manager and report her. She's sent one rude email after another, and only FINALLY admitted that her English is less than great after I told her that my comment about it was in no way an insult.

So, yes, her English is rather basic, but she didn't ask me for my opinion.

Wonderful. Now it's an "opinion" (though one with which she agrees), and not a statement of fact. I pointed it out because, had her English been better, she wouldn't have misunderstood me in the first place.

If she keeps emailing me with this shit, I WILL report her - for harassment.

Comment

At this point I'd be telling her I would not be helping her, period.

Comment

I'm going to take the assignment, not just because I already said I would, but because it's in my own best interests to do so. It's also in her best interests not to keep harassing me via email (which she's been doing today), because I haven't reported her for her attitude - but if she keeps it up, I just might.

Man, I'd rather get along with the people at work; why is it so hard sometimes?

Comment

I'm thinking it's already time to report her. If she's being this nasty to you about this, she may already be undermining you to her boss.

And even if she hasn't gone to her boss yet, she likely will. Methinks you should strike first, if possible.

Comment

If she does try it, I'll just provide proof (the emails) that she's been harassing me and wasting work time in so doing, even after I asked her twice to stop.

She also said she couldn't care less about my schedule, which means that she's ignoring part of her job. It would be very stupid of her to try it, but then, she hasn't been behaving in an intelligent manner since yesterday.

Oh, not to mention that she's been trying to get me to believe her lie. Bad idea.

Comment

Working...
            X