This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well that's unfortunate...

so i got to work a little before 2, when i was supposed to clock in. as i'm walking up the sidewalk on the side of our building, i see one of our sun umbrellas go tumbling through the parking lot, caught in the wind. i see it heading toward a car, so i make a mad dash for it before it hits the car. unfortunately, i didn't get there fast enough. i wrestled it off the car, folded up the umbrella, and hauled it inside. a customer that happened to be outside grabbed the umbrella that had flown into our drive-thru thing. after i hauled the umbrellas in, i noticed that one of my coworkers was chilling in the cafe and i asked if that was his car in the second parking space. it was. he went out to check for damage from the umbrella...
    yeah. there are two foot long scratches on the drivers side.
    he's going to call corporate and see if he can convince them to pay for the paint job to fix it.
    what an awesome way to start my shift!
    If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
    ^_^

Isn't anyone going to complain about your working off the clock?

j/k
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I'm amused by the fact that the co-worker whose car was scratched is one of the (several?) people who completely failed to think that maybe strong winds and big umbrellas weren't a good mix and it took your arrival and already runaway umbrellas before anything was done.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
        Isn't anyone going to complain about your working off the clock?

j/k
        There's a difference between "seeing and remedying an emergency situation before you had a chance to clock in" and carrying out routine tasks off the clock. Who knows how much more damage (to other vehicles, pedestrians, and itself) the umbrella could have caused if the OP had stopped to clock in before chasing it.

On one summer job (fishing resort), I did some "off the clock" work - I was on my way out to check a crab trap on the other side of the island, when I spotted a drifting log (you DON'T want to hit one of those with a boat at high speed). I tied onto it, towed it to where the boss had his supply of logs for his sawmill, tied it up there, collected the crabs, then reported the log situation to the boss when I got back (not being from a maritime culture, I didn't know what ownership issues went with drifting logs, but I figured he would).
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Hence the j/k.
          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I hope they dont try to screw him over b/c hes an employee. IDK what their policies are, but if theyd pay for it for a customer, they should pay for it for an employee.

Good job on your part for stopping it from doing anything else.

Comment

he's talked to HQ and they said to just have it fixed and send him the bill. he put me down as a witness just in case they don't believe him, but so far, they haven't called me. lol don't really know how it's going to turn out seeing as how i just moved...but they should take care of everything
              If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
              ^_^

Comment

Working...
              X