This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Chef Texas

Yes, there ARE spoilers below. So if you haven't seen the first three episode, turn around and GO BACK.

Still here? Good. Let's talk about the first non-qualifying episode, tonight's third episode of this season of Top Chef.

First of all, while I am, as any heterosexual man, completely enamored by Padma, I have to admit, when she uttered the paraphrase of that Samuel Jackson line, I not only rewound the DVR and watched it again, I think I actually got a woody. Perhaps that's too much information for y'all, but man, that was pretty hot.

I was also struck by the irony of the chef with the biggest snake phobia being the one to win the snake challenge. Especially since, of all the chefs, she actually looks the most like a snake. Frankly, I find her rather disturbing looking. She scares me.

Now I know I am from the Southwest, but I am not myself Mexican, and even MY dumb ass knows that if you are cooking for a Mexican family for a special Mexican occasion, the idea of using store-bought tortillas is utterly ridiculous. And if you've ever had well-executed freshly made tortillas, you know how huge the difference is. Now, I myself have never made tortillas from scratch, nor do I really know how to do so....but I am also not a professional chef on a high-profile cooking competition show cooking for a special Mexican family celebration. 'Nuff said.

And while I can excuse Keith for making enchiladas with flour rather than corn tortillas, due to regional culinary differences (at least according to him), I absolutely can NOT excuse any self-respecting cooking professional from purchasing pre-cooked frozen shrimp for a shrimp cocktail. For a stew or soup, maybe. Probably not, but maybe. But for a shrimp cocktail? Oh, HELL no. Completely and totally inexcusable.

To Keith's credit, he had one of the most gracious exits I've ever seen on this show.

No one has yet jumped out as my favorite (there are only so many Stephanie Izards, after all), or someone I truly can't stand (there are only so many Marcels, too), but so far, it looks like it's going to be a fun season.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

This season does seems to have a great start! I was sad with Keith's departure but what else could they do? The shrimp (though not 100% on him!) and the enchiladas were too much to let slide.
    Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Working...
    X