Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 Adventures in the dark ages of technology. (LONG)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
    They had their moments, like a fiber link between the IT building and the courthouse, but they also had extremes in the other direction, like using Pentium 33MHz machines in the law library
    *twitch*

The slowest Pentium chip ever released was 60 mhz. Those are either 386's or 486's.

Oh god... token ring... it's still alive?!

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
      *twitch*

The slowest Pentium chip ever released was 60 mhz. Those are either 386's or 486's.

Oh god... token ring... it's still alive?!
      I stand corrected. So they were Pentium 60s. They had the Pentium sticker on front, so they weren't 486/386, but I also remember making note that they were the slowest Pentium made. I guess I brain farted and thought that was 33mhz, not 60mhz, like wiki has confirmed. That'll teach me to not fact check. :-P
      Coworker: Distro of choice?
      Me: Gentoo.
      Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

We're still "tentatively" running AS/400. There's about 4 people who occasionally have to get in.

Due to certain factors of the box, our DB guys went in and exported all the information into a spreadsheet. They said it was scary big. But if the box crashes, we're good.
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

while i feel your pain dealing with older networks, i had a devil of a time dealing with something slightly more evil. most of the major airlines still use a mainframe system built in the 60's for all of their weight and balance info, reservations, maint requests, etc. just before i left the "friendly skys" airline they had just killed the ancient email system within the mainframe. forcing all users to access the exchange system.
          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
          X