This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret shoppers piss me off sometimes

I've been shopped plenty of times. Normally I do very good on them (i.e. 100%).

Until the last one.

Her comments included the fact that I greeted her with a smile, asked if she found everything she needed... also commented that I was extremely fast, accurate, and focused on the transaction.

Then went on to say that I didn't say "Thank you" (bullshit, I ALWAYS say "Thank you so much, have a great day/evening/night!" or "Thank you so much, we'll see you next time ok?", unless you're yakking into a phone, then I just don't say anything besides "Thanks"), but that I did wish her a great day. If it's someone that I'm on a first name basis with, it's usually something like "Hey thanks Dan, tell everyone at home I said hello ok? Have a good one". We're generally very informal at my store, and if I'm on a first name basis with someone, I'm typically on a first name basis with their husband/wife/kids/etc as well.

She also complained that I didn't try to upsell or offer a sample.. ok lady, seriously, what am I going to upsell you on, the pack of gum in front of my register? How am I going to sample something to you from behind a register, with filthy hands that have been handling money all day? Also complained that I didn't comment on any of her items (I only offer comments if it's something I really like). And even complained that I was "too focused" on the transaction.

Seriously? Cashiers in my store aren't SUPPOSED to upsell or offer samples nor do we even have anything to sample or upsell, do I look like I have a bunch of stuff to offer for sampling? I can sample you some pennies or some thermal paper from my printer, I suppose. Or would you like to chew on the stylus for the card reader? Even complained because it took 3 minutes and 17 seconds for her to get to me, because my line had 2 people in front of her, one of which wrote a check. Sorry lady, but if it takes 3.25 minutes to get to me when you're behind 2 people, I'd say that's pretty fucking fast even if you're in express.

Sad thing is, I even remember when she came through my line. I can't place her face, but I remember, on that day, a lady coming through my line with a single item from every dept (very typical of a shopper), constantly looking at her watch, and scribbling in a notebook while waiting and even while I was ringing her order. And I remember thinking "This is definitely a... bad.. secret shopper".

Her report was mostly negative, about EVERY dept. My store prides itself on its customer service, it's EXTREMELY rare when someone fails on more than 1 or 2 things, she dinged everybody she dealt with for 5+ things. Seriously, dinging me because the 2 people in front of you took a little over 3 minutes to get rung up, bagged, and payment?

My boss is pretty pissed off about the report - not at me, but at the shopper. He even called the report "bullshit" because he knows damn well that there's no way EVERYONE that shopper dealt with could fail on so many things.. and also knows cashiers aren't supposed to upsell in my store.

Hey bro, if boss thinks the report is bullshit, then the report is bullshit. You do your job. You do your job good. Be happy. That lady is just a over perfectionist.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I don't mind a perfectionist. Hell, I've been a secret shopper before myself, and I'm EXTREMELY critical when it comes to service, since I've worked in the service industry most of my life. I'm very much a perfectionist myself when it comes to service.

But dinging me because I didn't try to upsell, when our policy specifically forbids upsells at the register....

Comment

So: she's not doing her job by checking what the requirements are for your store, and by letting you see her time you and take notes. Sounds like her job, and not yours, will be ending soon.
        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Do secret shopping reports matter at your store? Does corporate look at them or is it just some tips for the guidelines? Only one store I've worked at used them and it wasn't Wal-mart. The other two places used phone surveys to get people to call in.

Comment

They don't matter much unless you do REALLY bad - otherwise they're just used as a training tool. But if you score 100 on one, you get a $100 gift card for the store.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
              But if you score 100 on one, you get a $100 gift card for the store.
              Ok, I gotta admit THAT is awesome! Though I can see corporate trying to nitpick so they don't have to give away GC.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
              X