Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disturbing! What Kids Saw On Their Field Trip...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
    Forensics classes are all the rage these days. Most of the high schools in my area offer them and a local university has started up its own body farm.
    I'm not sure how many offer them today in my area, but back in 03 or 04 either CBS, NBC or ABC did a story on the nightly news about HS forensic and shot it at my school. Apparently we were one of the earliest schools to offer it.

Comment

I wish those had been available when I was at school; I would have so signed up.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
        I wish those had been available when I was at school; I would have so signed up.
        Me too. We didn't have those back at my school during the 80's.

I missed out on a lot.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

This reminds me of something I read somewhere....aha, here it is: http://www.snopes.com/college/medical/cadaver.asp

I think the field trip was legit, given the subject of forensics. Not a fun thing to discover on the trip, though. I'd be really upset if I was in that situation.

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
          Well............ok then.

Back in my day we studied Latin and Botany.I had no idea children nowadays study forensics and medicals. I am so far behind the times.
          We had Forensics the last two years I was in high school. Came to school once to see tire tracks through the flower beds, crushed flowers, and crime scene tape all over for their mock-crime scene. I'm sure the school gardener just LOVED that class (On the flip side, we never had Latin or Botany...)
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

What the heck is a body farm?! O.o

And on that note, the ONLY forensics we got to do in high school was a one-day field trip to the local university to participate in "Chemical Murder Mystery."

We were meant to start with a lecture about forensics at the uni when a "detective" broke in saying that a crime had been committed and we were to proceed to the scene of the crime. From there, we split into groups and learned different methods of testing forensic data. At the end of the day we gave a presentation and looked at what we believed was the culprit.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I gotta second that...BODY FARM??? I have this image of bodies just sticking up in rows like zombies

As for me I would never want to go to a morgue on a field trip of any kind...I did everything in my power to avoid taking biology in high school cause I didn't want to dissect anything.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                What the heck is a body farm?! O.o
                I'm no expert, but from what I know, it's a facility where the decomposition of the human body can be studied. At UT Knoxville, it's a large wooded area, and cadavers are placed at different locations and exposed in different ways to study the effects of sunlight, precipitation, insect life, etc. on human decomposition. People mostly donate their bodies to the farm, though some are people who were simply not claimed at the morgue. Body farms are used by anthropology/forensics students at 5 different colleges in the US, as well as by local police for training purposes.

Calling them "body farms" makes it sound pretty weird, but they're actually quite interesting and useful.
                "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

ugh....I have heard of those now that I think about it.

I was reading the article and I find it a bit creepy that this was a forensics CLUB. Yeesh.

I'm the kind of person who would never work in the medical examiner/funeral industry ...I don't care how much it paid......
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                    I'm no expert, but from what I know, it's a facility where the decomposition of the human body can be studied. At UT Knoxville...
                    The one at the University of Tennessee is the first and largest, and flung the entire field of forensic science decades ahead in terms of the good its done. The nearest body farm to me is the one at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, about 60 miles west of where I am. I've also heard of a "body ranch" being established somewhere in Texas.

Bill Bass, founder of the body farm at UT, says that ideally similar research facilities would be established in all the major climate zones of the US to study how bodies decay in a hot, dry environment such as the Southwest, or a relatively cool, dry environment such as Montana, or in temperate zones such as the Northeast or Alaska that get a lot more exposure to cold temperatures than the Southeast does, not to mention swampy areas such as Louisiana or South Florida. Having one in Western North Carolina, which is only about ten degrees cooler on average than Knoxville, and which has an identically forested terrain serves no purpose other than convenience for the students at WCU who don't want to bother going all the way to Knoxville constantly.
                    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 10-05-2010, 09:43 PM.
                    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I know of body farms... from Cracked. Scroll down to the bottom; the body farm is number one.

http://www.cracked.com/article/171_6...ue-part-321_p2
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Damn you and your Cracked links!

You won't see much mention of this on CSI since it would take away from the usual 30-minutes devoted to David Caruso putting on and/or removing his sunglasses,
                        It wasn't CSI but they did use a body farm on one of the crime shows (Criminal Minds, maybe? I don't remember).
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                        X