X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    Wow. Freakin' WOW.

You can tell your mom that there is at least one home cook that is impressed and inspired by her. I mean, that would be hard enough to do by one's self WITH vision. Without it?

I repeat my earlier statement: WOW.
    Her vision has been getting steadily worse ever since she was diagnosed with diabetes years ago. By now it's to the point that she can see light and recognize where objects are, but that's about it.

My brother offered to cook this year but mom refused, saying that this is her gift to the family. She had me come over to help, and by help, she meant getting the turkey roaster down off a high shelf, build a fire in the fireplace, and stir the gravy. She did all the rest herself. She's awesome.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Thanksgiving just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without the following:

2 Turkeys (1 smoked and 1 roasted)
      All the usual fixins
      My mom's rolls (my grandmother's recipe that only my mother was able to copy)
      My mom's chocolate chip cookies
      Pies galore (pumkin, pecan, lemon meringue, chocolate meringue, custard)

And the most important thing for all our family get together's: Aunt Bonnie's Green Stuff. Growing up, my cousins and I had no idea what it was, but it was amazing. My aunt has been making it for as long as I can remember. We were nearly grown up when we finally asked what it was, it's a 4 layer desert with a crust, a layer of cream cheese, a layer of pistachio pudding, and a layer of whipped cream then topped with nuts. To this day, however, it is and will forever be, the Green Stuff
      "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Mine was pretty simple since it was just me and the SO. We had roast turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, carrots and biscuits. He's not real big into sweets so he had some peaches for dessert and I had one of those mini banquet frozen pies. Hey, they're cheap and if I bought a whole pie for myself I'd eat it.

We still have quite a bit of left over turkey. Fortunately, I inherited my dad's ability to make just about anything stretch so I can do quite a bit more than just the usual turkey sandwiches.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Dinner was at my aunt and uncle's house this year, so my aunt made most of it. This is what we had:

Made by my aunt:
          Turkey
          Stuffing in turkey
          Gravy (from a jar)
          Mashed potatoes
          Sweet potato casserole
          Green beans (cooked in olive oil, herbs, bacon pieces, and tiny shallots)
          Dinner rolls

Made by my grandma:
          Corn pudding

Made by my mom:
          Jell-O pistachio fluff

Made by me:
          Trifle (layer of angel food cake, layer of mixture of Jell-O vanilla pudding/milk/cream cheese/milk/Cool Whip, layer of pineapple and raspberries, repeat layers once)

Made by my uncle's mom or aunt:
          Sweet potato pie
          Pecan pie
          Pumpkin cookies (actually made by uncle's aunt's neighbor, but brought by her)

We also had salad, shrimp cocktail, and a relish tray (sweet pickles, dill pickles, and olives). I think that's about it.

Comment

Working...
          X