This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NaNoWriMo is Coming

We're into the home stretch on October; Halloween is just 8 days away, and then it's November, and we all know what that means.

National Novel Writing Month!

This will be my 5th or 6th year participating, and I have yet to even reach the half-way point on any of my efforts.

However, I will still head, undaunted, into this year's event.

As of the first, I will be changing my avatar over to my NaNo word count (hoping it doesn't stay as pathetically low as last year) and hope that some of the rest of you join me.

Looking forward to seeing how we all do this time around.

.... now to figure out what the hell I'm writing about this year....

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Between grad school and retail work, NaNo keeps getting a back seat >.<

And the only story idea I keep playing with is the novel I've been working on a while. So...

Blurgh. Maybe I actually get that one done this year. Unless inspiration strikes me down.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I...really need to start outlining. It will be my second NaNo. I have a vague idea about "space vampires" so far...
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I'm participating this year, as I have for the last two years.

2010 - I tried to write a fantasy novel called "Beryleye." Due to a late start, lack of time to sit down and write, and writer's block, I only got 1000 words down.

2011 - I adapted a concept I had, "Star Force One," (and which I'd written out in screenplay format) into a novel, which actually helped out a great deal, as it allowed me to further world-build and fill in backstory. Even so, I only finished about 5000 words in the month, before later finishing it earlier this summer. "Star Force One: Origins" didn't get to 50,000 words, but I finished the story by about 45,000. I also gave a better finish to the story with one of the series' over-arcing villains making an appearance.

This year, I'll be writing a follow-up to my 2011 piece. While the goal is always to get 50,000 words, I'll be happy if I can at least double last year's effort and get 10,000 in a month.

My mother has dabbled in writing herself, but she always kind of held herself back on it, for reasons she can't really quantify. But she confided to me, after her father passed away this spring, that now she feels like that weight has been lifted and she could try writing again.

As such, I've been pushing her to get involved in NaNoWriMo this year. She hasn't really said she will participate, but I'm going to keep working on her.

Let's make this a productive month, Wrimos! Keep the faith, o siblings of the quill!
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

For the first time in four/five attempts I actually have a plot! Hopefully I can pass last years total and maybe even make the finishing post.
          Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Considering that City of Heroes is shutting down this month as well, I may finally get around to that story idea I had about what happens with your MMO characters while you're not playing them...

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm the world's slowest writer so I never set a NaNoWriMo goal, but I do use the month to set another goal, like finish a short story, complete that novella etc.

This year I intend to complete the roughdraft of my second novel by the end of November (I am pretty close, but like I said, I'm slow).

Good luck everyone!
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Whee, I've been waiting for this thread! This will be my third year, and hopefully my first win. A few years ago I only got a few thousand in. Last year, I made it to about 35, and wrote a decently high average on the days that I wrote...but between work and trying to get the house I was going to be renting ready to move into, I just didn't have time every day to write.

This year I've got school, but that's only three days a week, so I plan to kick ass.

I also actually have a PLAN. That should help. It's nebulous thus far, but after my brother's wedding this Saturday (woo!) I'll have four days to make an actual outline and get ready to go.
                My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

I'm playing along this year, though I'm not going for a win. Was quite proud of myself for hitting 50k last year though! The reason I'm not going for a win this year is because I'm being horribly cheaty. I'm using the month to focus on a joint project I've been working on with a friend off and on over the past year. I hope to actually get the stuff we've already come up with organized, and make a huge dent in the work that is left to do. So...er, yeah, I'll be using content already written and stuff that she's contributing. So it wouldn't be fair to try to claim a win unless I manage to come up with 50k new words just by myself...but the month and the community is great for motivation!

Comment

I'm doing it. But I keep forgetting to make an outline, so I'm gonna have to spend the month doing that, but I've been looking at an outlining strategy and have decided on the snowflake method (though I am so not buying his software). It looks like a good way to do things that will work well with the way I think and help with my writing flaws. My goal is to have the outline finished by the end of november. I'd try to get it done by the second week, but I really need to study.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                      I...really need to start outlining. It will be my second NaNo. I have a vague idea about "space vampires" so far...
                      My uncle John wrote a book about vampires on mars, but he's still having trouble getting it published.
                      ......../\
                      ....../__\
                      ..../\...../\
                      ../__\../__\

Comment

This sounds like fun! (and maybe a lot of work.) I've never written anything more than backstories for rpg characters, but my backstories tend to be really involved. I've got a vague idea about a mechanic in a steampunk fantasy setting who gets wrapped up in events larger than herself. I doubt I'll get to 50k words, but I'm going to give it a shot!
                        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

The entire idea behind NaNoWriMo is that writing a book is a "one day" project. As in, "One day, I'm going to write my book."

A lot of people never get to the actual writing part, so making an event out of it gives people some extra push to actually put words on paper and get on with the writing.

^-.-^

Comment

Ok does it have to be a novel? Could I use this to work on my blog? or a bunch of short stories?

It does sound like fun. And maybe I could get my blog off the ground
                            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Elspeth, follow the link in the OP. They've got all of the rules, such as they are, there as well as forums chock full of fun and interesting stuff.

It is definitely fun.

Here's the low-down on how it all works.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                              X