This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom remodelers are heeere

We finally gave in. As much as I kicked and screamed and flailed about putting ourselves into more debt, we were faced with the fact that our main bathroom was rapidly approaching "not usable or healthy to be inside". For those who weren't here, or don't remember, the big Seraph Is Ticked About This House They Bought saga...here's a quick rundown of what we discovered wrong with it within a couple of months after moving in:

- Bathtub was cracked and in bad shape, they'd painted it over with gloss paint, which started peeling off within a month, of course.

- Backsplash wasn't actually installed correctly, they hot glued it down, and didn't put in the edging correctly. Thusly, the entire wall behind it is now moldy as GET OUT.

- The floor tiles were peel and sticks applied directly to the wooden floor base, no waterproofing at all. Therefore, any time water gets onto the floor, it leaks between the tiles, and into the room below.

- They disconnected the overflow pipe. So whenever a kid splashed into that, bam, LOTS of water into the room below the bathroom.

- The "new tile" was actually plastic. So its breaking into pieces on the slightest bump.

(This is just the bathroom, take note. Just about every room in the house has a nice, similar list. :P )

So, yep, we contracted a bathroom remodeler. Its going to be a hefty $7k, but they're ripping out the old tub, putting in a new custom one, and giving us a new floor. We'll have to handle the plastic tile on the walls at a later date, as well as put in new sink cabinets, and sinks. But, one thing at a time, you know....and frankly I've been bordering on sheer terror about getting the kids near that tub, with all of the mildew. I keep scrubbing it away as much as possible....but its built up behind it, so nothing I could really do.

I'm just sitting here now, listening to the various crashing, ripping, and breaking noises...and its music to my hears.

DIE, BATHROOM OF DOOM. DIEEEEE.

Edit: Shock and surprise abounds right now, they peeled off the backsplash, and there were plastic and ceramic tiles behind it. Which crumbled and fell off.
    Last edited by Seraph; 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Oy. the thoguht of having to rip out a bathroom and redo it scares me. Every time I hear something like this, I'm glad that the previous owner of our place wasn't completely incompetent when he rehabbed the place. Somewhat incompetent, but not completely. thankfully, his plumbing is fine. Taste in carpet color? Not so much. (Salmon and dark blue.) His idea of hanging siding was to literally hang it. One course of nails at the top. everything else sways in the breeze like a vinyl kilt. (Yes, I chose that phrase intentionally. Apprently the house wears its vinyl kilt Regimental. No insulation or vapor barrier behind the siding. Just the original wood siding.)

Good luck, Searph, and hopefully you'll have a usable bathroom soon!
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
      everything else sways in the breeze like a vinyl kilt. (Yes, I chose that phrase intentionally.
      ...time to get a leafblower?

Comment

Seraph, just do yourself a favour and STAY OUT OF THEIR WAY!

Lord only knows what level of trouble you cause otherwise.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

LOL!!!

True to being me, I stepped into the hallway a bit to check on things...the second I set foot in there, the smoke detectors went off. Started the snot out of them, LOL!

I backed right back into my computer room, not going back out until everyone's gone, hahaha

Comment

BAHHHHH.

- They didn't plan correctly for the floor, so they didn't bring enough tile. Its custom-made, so they don't have any onhand. We're going to have to wait for it. :<

- Turns out, the cold water pipe to the tub area is BROKEN. Like, shut off. And by the looks of things, has been for YEARS. They have no idea how its been working.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
              ...time to get a leafblower?
              Searph, I live less than a mile from Lake Erie. I *LIVE* in a leaf blower.

Quoth Seraph View Post
              BAHHHHH.

- They didn't plan correctly for the floor, so they didn't bring enough tile. Its custom-made, so they don't have any onhand. We're going to have to wait for it. :<

- Turns out, the cold water pipe to the tub area is BROKEN. Like, shut off. And by the looks of things, has been for YEARS. They have no idea how its been working.
              Not enough tile is annoying as hell, but at least they can get more. But the pipe is shut off and still working? You seem to have moved from "Enemy of Normalcy" to "Enemy of Physics."
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

We're still in the middle of our bathroom remodel.

We've been through 6 basins because our company kept supplying faulty ones, 3 baths & 3 bath panels.

We also found that the shower over bath was so leaky that the floor underneath had become rotten & needed ripping out..

What should have been 1 week job will now be 3 weeks...

On the upside what has been done looks superb!
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Seraph, find a good friend..on the other side of the state. Stay with them until it is done. No offense, but you have worse luck then I do..are you SURE you want to be anywhere around this remodel? Really, really sure?
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

If it weren't for the fact, Seraph my dear, that you're the Web Designer of Epic Win, I'd declare you a walking techbane.

Going to echo everyone else's sentiments that you stay away from the remodel as much as you can.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                      Not enough tile is annoying as hell, but at least they can get more. But the pipe is shut off and still working? You seem to have moved from "Enemy of Normalcy" to "Enemy of Physics."
                      I was thinking the same thing!
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

And I thought mine was bad. 3 layers of peel-n-stick tile on the floor (also in the kitchen and entryway), but at least nothing's leaking (as far as I know). I believe the subfloor is cement but I'm not sure. A few weeks ago I managed to pull the soap dish off the wall of the shower, and it made a huge chip in the top of the tub wall…my $500 refinished tub. I could hear water inside the soap dish but I decided not to pour it out because I didn't really want to know what it looked like. The dish took up the space of 1 ½ tiles so my dad took out the half tile that was left and replaced it with two several-shades-lighter tiles (I don't use the soap dish anyway; it's just one more pain in the ass thing to clean around). He also got the stuff to fix the chip in the tub but they went away a few days after it happened and then the hurricane and all and whatnot and now Thanksgiving so he hasn't done that part yet.

Also, the hot and cold water in my shower were installed backwards.

If I had the money I would hire people to just come and redo the whole thing, and my kitchen too, but, well, I don't. My dad is going to do the floor and I'm replacing the vanity, but I don't know when that'll happen. It was supposed to be in June…then November…now…???
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                          If it weren't for the fact, Seraph my dear, that you're the Web Designer of Epic Win, I'd declare you a walking techbane.
                          If you ever get the chance, find and read the short story "Down Below Crater Billy." (At least I *think* that's the name of it. I cna't find it anymore nor can I remember the author.) The basic concept was that science had quatified a person's techbane level, and the worst ones could make really good money safety testing new inventions.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                            make really good money safety testing new inventions.
                            /coughs

I used to stress test sites for my buddy's company. I'd find bugs that NOBODY would expect to happen or typically find. I'd always just be ditzing around on whatever current project he had and suddenly site goes boom...and my friend would sigh and ask what I'd just done.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                              /coughs

I used to stress test sites for my buddy's company. I'd find bugs that NOBODY would expect to happen or typically find. I'd always just be ditzing around on whatever current project he had and suddenly site goes boom...and my friend would sigh and ask what I'd just done.
                              I do Software QA for 3 million lines of binary spaghetti. Welcome to my world.

Although in the case of the short story, they were testing things like new airlocks. Example: a new nanotech coating on a swimming pool to prevent the water from evaporating all the time. An 'abnotech' (their term for 'technobane') jumped in, and the film turned it into a trampoline. If these guys can't break it, nobody can.

Found it! Stephen L Burns "Down Under Crater Billy"
                              Last edited by Crossbow; 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM. Reason: Found the story

Comment

Working...
                              X