Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, its' done. I ended up going with a recommendation from Wolfie, and got this for my niece, as well as a spiffy new laptop case/backpack that I got a great deal on from bestbuy.com.

Nothing like dropping $350 on something for someone else.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Nice one, props to wolfie for that find.
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Yup, I offered to help, but I'm technologically challenged, as it were, so since I am dating/living with a geek, I threw him at Jester. The rest, as they say... :P

Glad it worked out Jester. I'll still let you know about that other stuff, too.

Comment

Seems like a solid choice. That's plenty to do all of her schoolwork on. Good score.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Glad you didn't go with a pink camo. Gravekeeper would not have been impressed.

I've heard mostly good things about Asus. Hopefully it works for her.

Comment

Good choice. I just had to provide laptop-purchsing advice to my sister & BIL. She went with an HP, so we'll see how it goes. BIL had a little more in the budget (was originally looking at an iPad). She was wanting to replace a Toshiba laptop that got dropped and suffered extensive screen damage.
              That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                Seems like a solid choice. That's plenty to do all of her schoolwork on. Good score.
                Well, I expect that she'll do more than just her schoolwork on it, as the girl is finally doing a bit of social networking. I say "finally" because she just got on facebook....years after her 40something uncle. And she's 19. What, you expect my niece to be normal?

Anyway, for various reasons, she doesn't have a lot of the friends at the moment (her living and job situations are in major flux), but being as social as she is, I'm sure that will change soon enough.

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
                Glad you didn't go with a pink camo. Gravekeeper would not have been impressed.
                I don't do things to impress Gravekeeper. I do them to impress pretty girls and/or my nieces, depending on the situation. But in this case, Dragon would never want a pink camo laptop. Lime green, perhaps, but not pink camo.

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
                I've heard mostly good things about Asus. Hopefully it works for her.
                As I've said here before, I am not overly thrilled with my ASUS, which constantly gives me headaches/migraines/conniptions/seizures/thoughts of severe violence with a sledgehammer, but as long as this other ASUS works for Dragon, I'm happy.

Amusingly, after I made the purchase, I told her, "Now you KNOW, whenever you go anywhere with your laptop, it needs to be in its backpack case, RIGHT?" To which she said, "Yes, and I'm actually cleaning it now. It's kind of dirty." I laughed and told her to throw that one out, since she had a new one on the way. New laptop, new case, right?

Yes, I rock. What's new?

Still A Customer."

Comment

HP is not a bad computer per say and a viable option for a laptop (I prefer Toshiba or Lenovo myself, but that's a personal opinion) but I will never, EVER get a HP/Compaq desktop again. Not for what they have, no. For entry level users it's a fine choice.

I upgrade my own rigs though and HP/Compaq machines are designed specifically to make that process the biggest possible pain in the ass that can be imagined.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

UPDATE:

Dragon received her laptop in the mail today. MAN, that was FAST! I mean, I received in the mail today that brand new spiffy bicycling gloves I ordered the same night, but I didn't expect a freakin' computer to get there that fast. I know when I ordered MINE it didn't HERE that fast.

No idea if she got her backpack laptop case yet, as she was unsure of that, since she's at her mom's place (living situation in flux, as I've mentioned), and they actually get mail at a couple locations on their property. (Don't ask...not really sure myself.)

But she should get it soon, I hope, as I would prefer the new laptop see the inside of the new case, and not the case that she feels she needs to wash AGAIN. Anything you have to wash twice? Not good.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                    X