This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a name!

I'm creating a backup character for my larp and am drawing a blank.

The character is an anthropomorphic wolf raised in an old-west style setting. She's a farmer with some skill in surgery, apothecary, and psychology with no combat skills.

Please help, otherwise her name will be Fifi, and that's terrible.
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

old west... is it bad that the first thing I thought of was Firefly?

Not sure if that would help though. Although I guess "wolf" in Chinese is "Hang" (short 'a' sound) or "Lang" or "Long" depending on the dialect you use.

Perhaps "Longstride" could be an appropriate last name? if not a first?

Comment

Call her Nobody or My name is Exaybachay. She Who Talks Loud, Saying Nothing

cookies for reference
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

How about Lupi?

Comment

Oooooh.. Lupi Longstride. I like it.

Comment

I would offer suggestions, but my last foray into tabletop gaming was in Aberrant...I made a super-powered professional wrestler named Hentai, just to annoy the GM. So maybe getting name ideas from a troll won't help you

/Hentai's powers? She could grow tentacles to attack her foes, naturally.
            //The GM forcibly murdered Hentai within 2 sessions of constant trolling, so I made a character even worse...
            "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
            "What IS fun to fight through?"
            "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
              I would offer suggestions, but my last foray into tabletop gaming was in Aberrant...I made a super-powered professional wrestler named Hentai, just to annoy the GM. So maybe getting name ideas from a troll won't help you

/Hentai's powers? She could grow tentacles to attack her foes, naturally.
              //The GM forcibly murdered Hentai within 2 sessions of constant trolling, so I made a character even worse...
              I was a player in a tabletop RPG superhero game, and one of the other players was (well, is) an anime fan, an otaku.

Super powers were randomized, and somehow he randomly rolled tentacles. We started calling Hentai Tentacle Man.

Later in the game, his powers mutated. Again, random rolling, his tentacles grew mouths and eyes. We started calling Hentai Tentacle Rape Man.

We still call him that from time to time...
              "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

The thing that popped in my head was this from Discworld: http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/ind.../Ludmilla_Cake

Or this: http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/ind..._%C3%9Cberwald
                I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

http://mymemory.translated.net/t/Latin/English/lupi
                  if you take a look here you might be able to figure out why i suggested Lupi ^^

Comment

Shame you got a name out of this already (Lupi Longstride IS a great name for the character you described)-- I love coming up with names for characters.

When I was a young Winger, I tended to just come up with something 'cool sounding' without bothering to make sure it fit the character. As I got older, I really love coming up with meaningful names. Sometimes they'd even fit into a theme.

Example-- I came up with a throwaway "joke" character for a wrestling e-fed, a character meant solely to take abuse from people. He was called "The Grammar Nazi," and his trademark moves were the Dangling Participle and the dreaded Full Stop. He was tag-partners with "The Drama Queen," with her finishers, the Drama Bomb and the Cry-Me-A-River.

Example-- in a story I wrote wherein an assassin called Mister Bones was hired to kill some crime bosses, the crime bosses were named Miles Nickel and Charlie Diyme. The man who hired Mister Bones (an official from the corrupt fascistic city-state) was named Nicholas Quartermain.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I like Spider Robinson's character, Fleming Ayniss...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Many such names are, to me, too obvious, like Lupi, which was already mentioned, or Luna (from True Blood). Such things can be more subtle.

Personally, I vote for Leah. That name just jumped out at me while I was reading your description. (And not the Leah that is pronounced "LEE", but the Leah that is pronounced ''LEE-uh." Not Leia, like the princess (LAY-uh), but Leah.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

I can't play this character until after the March event, but I will still take in names! If my main character gets permed, I'll need a new backup.

(Main character is the only PC that has the knowledge to sail a ship. March event is on a ship. I can hear Plot laughing from here.)

Comment

Selene or Selena would also be a good name for a wolf. It means "moon" in Greek, and the name of a Greek goddess.
                            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Alternatively you could use Chandra which is moon is Sanskrit.

Comment

Working...
                              X