• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief by any other name....

More stories from the dollar store.

Credit Cards
    More things about Credit cards for all my customers
    - I have no idea what your screen says. I can not see it. Don't ask me what it says. I'm tempted to respond 'Give the cashier your wallet and turn around for 4 minutes'
    - Every one of our pin pads has it own quirks. This cant be helped. However, if I tell you you can tilt the pad up to see better if you grab from the top and not the bottom, do glare at me, stand on your tiptoes, and repeatedly whine that you can't see what the screen says. I LITERALLY JUST TOLD YOU HOW TO FIX THAT!
    - Every store, EVERY STORE, asks the same questions at the pin pad. What is the payment type, if its debt do you want cash back, pin/signature, ok the amount put on the card. EVERY STORE ASKS THESE QUESTIONS!!! stop whining that it asks too many questions. The only difference between us and Wally World is that our pin pad is mostly black and white.
    -If the pin pad says wait for cashier stop swiping your card before i give you the ok. Seriously, its not going to read until i hit the button and you will just have to swipe again.

Not credit cards, but cards still.
    If i tell you to swipe a gift card like you would a credit card, don't flip the card over and swipe it with the stripe up.... I... can't even....

What I do not have patience for
    I know this sounds bad but...
    The Elderly:
    I understand some technology is confusing. but if you struggle to use your card, the correct response is not 'Tell me what to do or I will stand here staring at you until it works for me.' it LISTEN TO THE CASHIER!!! Or use cash!!!!!
    If your hard of hearing, DON'T STARE OFF IN TO SPACE OR WALK AWAY!!!
    Children:
    Stop throwing things around the store.
    Also stay out of the balloon corral.
    Homeless individuals:
    Your a grown adult, despite your circumstances there is one thing I expect you to you do. UNDERSTAND HOW TAX WORKS.
    Non-English speakers-
    Don't get angry with me for not realizing you don't speak English when you walk up.

The Thief.
    So my store does not give Refunds only exchanges. Its on the receipt.
    Woman comes in with 8 items, 3 seasonal 5 food.
    She wants a refund.
    I explain that we only do exchanges, no refund.
    I explain she will need to get items to exchange, at the same current cost of the items being returned.
    Lady leaves the items and goes to get replacement items.
    She gets her items, gets in line.
    I scan her new items, and start the exchange process.
    While I'm looking for barcodes on some of the return items she grabs her bag and bolts.
    I mean straight up, grabs the bag, runs out the door, hops into a waiting SUV and speeds off.
    BEFORE I CONTINUE I WANT TO POINT OUT THAT SHE WAS GETTING 7 1 DOLLAR ITEMS
    I call my manager because well She returned 5 food items and 3 season items, so she would be responsible for the difference in tax and can only get the current value of the seasonal items applied to her total.
    So she owed $0.99 and she needed to approve the exchange with a signature.

Tha'ts right this woman literally stole 99 cents worth of merchandise. FROM A DOLLAR STORE.

so my manager was confused, I was confused, the people behind her line where confused, and my drawer wound up being 70 cents short.

WHY?

Add to that list of people we don't have patience for: Someone who is always trying to get something for free. Folks like that drove me up the wall when I was a cashier.

Comment

Working...
    X