This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you been living under a rock?

Sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, a very high-profile celebrity chef who was also a partner in my company's US operations was accused of/admitted to some pretty bad sexual misconduct (mom's first comment was "It took this long? He always came across as a pig."). Very shortly after the news broke and the other celebrity-chef partner among others spoke out very emphatically against him, he announced that he was cutting ties with the company for good. I wouldn't be surprised if the founders/board forced that decision.

As a result, all of his branded products were immediately pulled from the shelves...J was happy about this for another reason as it reclaimed badly needed space (and we could recommend small-producer products with a higher success rate). Any complaints about the decision (past noncommittal "oh, ok") were to go to him or the retail GM.

Occasionally, I still get a few SCs demanding his products; most are fine with my answer that "he is no longer affiliated with us and we are no longer selling his products". And then there was this guy...

I'm running around like a madman yesterday (pretty much only me for a giant delivery of sale products that were being snapped up as fast as I could stock them PLUS our regular truck, plus customer help, plus etc) when I'm approached by a new-money arrogant jerk.

Jerk: "Are you out of the [chef] tomato sauce?"
    Me: "We no longer carry his products. I can suggest a few other producers that I use and like. What flavors are you looking for?"
    Jerk: "Is this because of the 'scandal'?" (said in a sneering/mocking tone)
    Me: "Yes. If you want further information you will have to speak to a manager." (J gave this directive mainly because he can put assholes in their place without any blowback, and the managers know more than the worker bees)
    Jerk: "That's ridiculous. That was no big deal, everyone should just suck it up. You should carry his sauces, they're very popular."
    *'no big deal'? OK, shut this down now*
    Me: "We don't carry them anymore and will not. BigChain still has them. Feel free to take our decision up with Corporate, I have work to do and I refuse to argue with you." as I pick up 40 pounds of canned tomatoes (I could see the jerk's eyes bug out) and relocate to another endcap.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

If I like a product, I can totally understand still liking and wanting that product no matter the scandal...but why do SCs insist on arguing with workers who have no say or control in such decisions.

Comment

We stock the shelves, therefore we directly control what the store sells. Or something... That sauce wasn't even that good, but in SC perception it was a better value (25oz for the same price point as many of our other sauces for half that much). Also that was the only alfredo sauce we sold; our restaurants don't serve alfredo anything so it was just stocked for the masses who are too lazy to make it themselves.
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-18-2018, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        ... as I pick up 40 pounds of canned tomatoes (I could see the jerk's eyes bug out) ...
        ... would you like these tomatoes on your head all at once or up your wazoo one at a time?
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          ... would you like these tomatoes on your head all at once or up your wazoo one at a time?

obligatory text goes here
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I was tempted to 'trip', believe me.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              I don't vote for tomatoes up the wazoo, I vote for pineapples. (Yes one at a time)

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
                I don't vote for tomatoes up the wazoo, I vote for pineapples. (Yes one at a time)

Why not Paris Hilton?

Also, tomato and pineapples up the wazoo sounds like the worst pizza joint ever...

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post

Pointy bits first!!
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    Pointy bits first!!
                    No fair trimming the leaves!

Comment

Sideways! (And if the rumours are true, they'll fit, easily...)

Comment

The only pineapple we sell is dried; wouldn't quite have the same effect methinks

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          Freeze 'em first . . .

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                            Freeze 'em first . . .
                            Nope. As flagpole-lickers demonstrate, the first one will stick.

Comment

Working...
                            X