This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *screams* Also, 401k advice needed...

So as I previously mentioned, I am faced with an imminent move a few states away due to my SO's job situation. This is necessary for a few reasons. Our lease is up in August, and they want us to renew for at least 9 months. We were initially okay with this, however, the USPS encoding center she works for is closing next year and they are trying to clean house ASAP to reduce the workforce as much as possible. What they have been doing, since they are required to find jobs for their vested employees, is sticking people in positions they know those people won't be able to do, causing them to quit entirely. They have to find jobs, if they stick someone in a place they aren't suited for, too bad. If we wait 9 months, this will no doubt be the case with her, as her employer has already started doing this. We have this opportunity for Salt Lake City, where she has already verified employment will be guaranteed and she can literally start at the beginning of any pay period. Plus, this stands out among the other currently available options because they will pay the moving expenses, plus one month's rent, plus 60 days of a storage unit rental.

That is to say, they will pay those expenses.... eventually. We have to pay them first, then they reimburse us. As we don't exactly have a few thousand bucks laying around to cover the move, we looked into a loan she had been pre-approved for in the amount of $6000. It was a good option, we could pay off some outstanding bills here along with the move. But, when she went to the office, they decided her rent is too high for her income because they wouldn't accept the fact that she only pays half the rent while her sis pays the rest. We tried adding sis to the loan, but her credit is about as bad as mine, and it was still a no-go.

Yesterday, we decided to try a credit union that I'd used for previous car loans and never had an issue with. They had no problem adjusting the total rent by half, her credit score was fine, and it all looked good. Today they called us back after getting the verdict from whatever all-powerful being handles the loans at their central office. They declined, saying that there wasn't enough payment history on the SUV we got 2 months ago. The SUV we got because we knew this move was happening sometime within the next year and needed for transporting the whole family. Never fucking mind the 4 years of payments on the vehicle she'd been leasing before this one, with not a single missed payment. Never mind that we were perfectly happy to set up the loan with bi-weekly payments rather than monthly payments. Never mind her credit report, which shows she hasn't had problems with paying loans in the past. That is goddamn asinine.

So now I feel completely useless. My credit was destroyed with the whole, divorce then being stuck with most of the debt then the bank illegally taking my house. So I can't contribute anything there. When I weighed all my options, the only thing I could think of that would help was for me to leave and try to figure out some way to afford to live on my own, as I can't help bring in much money right now and I can't help get a loan approved, and I'm basically just one more expense the household doesn't need. She wouldn't have it though, saying I'm part of the family and am not going anywhere.

I've thought of one thing I can try to do, though everything I've ever read and been told about it is woefully ill-advised. I have 2 retirement accounts. An IRA I set up when I got my job at the prison, and one the state set up for me that I never asked them to but they do for all state employees. I'd like to find out about getting that money, at least for the automatic one my employer did. It's my fucking money anyway. But then I'd have to deal with tax hell, and I'm in enough hot water with the IRS thanks to my ex claiming all 3 kids two years in a row against the court's orders. But the benefits could outweigh the headaches that would follow. Hell, when I quit the prison I have the option to cash that damn thing out anyway, I just have to wait 31 days after my last day. Then 4 weeks for them to process my request. And I don't have that kind of time. We've pretty much exhausted our options here. And given the fact that I'm currently out of work due to a medical issue (my back injury), I could apply for a hardship to get into my retirement account, despite all the times I've been told I should never, ever do so.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

I can't help with the whole loan and credit thing (I really know very, very little about finances), but maybe you know somebody who can hook you up with a financial planner even to talk about the basics? We did that with a lady at our church when we found out we were having a kid. It put things into perspective.

Other than that, I hope you sort it out
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I'm sorry that you're having to go through this, Kara.

You should be able to withdraw from your IRA or 401k. (I'm more versed in IRAs, but 401k work similarly.) The bank that holds the account will probably charge you an early withdrawal fee, and you'll have to count the withdrawal as income on your taxes. You'll also have a tax penalty if you withdraw from the IRA, assuming it's a traditional IRA (not Roth) and you're under 59 1/2 years old.

I had to make an IRA withdrawal 2 years ago. It was not fun come tax time. I set up monthly payments to the IRS and it took all year to pay back my taxes. But I needed the money at the time, so it worked out.

I hope you find a solution that works for you, and I hope that your employer and/or the bank works with you.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
        I could apply for a hardship to get into my retirement account, despite all the times I've been told I should never, ever do so.
        I'd check the law just to make sure, but my understanding is that if you withdraw money from your retirement (I assume 401(k) since that's what you mention), it counts as income, and you'll have to pay taxes on it.

I think even if you do it as a loan, you'll have to pay it back at a somewhat high interest rate.

But again, I'd check the law to make sure.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          I'd check the law just to make sure, but my understanding is that if you withdraw money from your retirement (I assume 401(k) since that's what you mention), it counts as income, and you'll have to pay taxes on it.

I think even if you do it as a loan, you'll have to pay it back at a somewhat high interest rate.

But again, I'd check the law to make sure.
          One of my CWs has taken a few loans out on her 401k in the past, and yes you do have to pay it back with interest.

I would maybe see if you can find a way to figure out how a withdrawal would affect what you pay in taxes vs interest on a loan. Go with the cheaper option.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Unfortunately, with my abysmal credit, there's no way I can get approved for any kind of loan. I actually wouldn't have to pay back my 401k to the state, since no matter what job I get in Utah, I won't be employed by the state of Kansas. This leaves me with 2 options. Roll it over to another retirement account, or cash it out. What I'm thinking of would be applying for a hardship in order to cash it out early. Then I'll be in Utah in August, and no longer employed with Kansas, and under no obligation to repay it.
            "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

When I lost my job I had to cash out my 401k Fidelity that had it went ahead and took the tax and penalties out at my request and I had the check in 2-5 business days. I know nothing about IRAs though so I dont know which is easier.

Comment

Taxes wise, and I'm speaking from a personal experience here, I had to pull from an IRA and was charged a 10% early withdrawal fee. There are exceptions to the rule but I don't know what those are, you'd actually have to call the IRS to find out. My bank auto withheld 10% for taxes, but keep in mind the rest of that money is typically going to have to be included in your income when you file. So when I did it, I actually asked them to withhold more in taxes (think I had them withhold 15-20%) and when tax time came I ended up getting a refund. As long as you can have them withhold more than just the 10% then come tax wise you should be ok or close to being ok.
                "I try to take reality one day at time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."

Comment

Working...
                X